Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Struts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Struts

I have a 46" boat with a Homelite 25cc (stock), it has an Octura strut with a Prather 275 prop. I would like to know if it would be better for me to trim the lower part of the strut off or leave it there? I don't want to cut it off to find out it was better with it!!! With out it, will I get more prop walk? I see a lot of boats with out that lower potion of the strut. Any help would more than appreciated!

See Attached Pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12672.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	171284  
    \"Bartender I\'ll have whatever the man passed out on the floor is having\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Struts

IMHO, you're not hurting anything and will not see a speed difference with the small blade removed. Leave it on for sport running.

However, one thing you might want to consider is moving the prop about 2-3 inches back. This will give you a noticeable increase in handling and performance. You can build a two peice aluminum spacer that will go between the strut & the hull to do this and not have to buy anything fancy. The only thing to really worry about would be installing a longer drive shaft.

Just an idea, but fun to talk about.[&:]
    You never know what your faith is, until your faith has been truly tested. Mine is being tested and I\'\'\'\'m praying...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If he moves it back would it make it harder to get it to plain out? What will it change?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks PHCM
    Lots of food for thought, I had planned on moving it back, but the weather has been good up here and I can only stop running it long enough to charge the batteries :-) Once it gets cold enough to put it on the shelf I plan on changing the strut mount and rudder mount.
    The boat runs 35.4 mph with a stock motor, so it is still fun! But I was just wondering if it would help or hinder!

Good Ideas, and fun to talk about!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i recommend the move back as soon as you can. i just bent some aluminum flat stock and made my own standoff. but, leaving the rudder centered behind the prop created a very sensitive boat at high speed ( i spun out at about 40 - 45 mph( NOT GOOD)[&o]. so my next hull setup will have an offset rudder closer to the transom than the prop. less sensitive i hear. or i hope.
    \"Salute\" for those who fly, and those who try

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On a mono hull, moving the prop back gives it cleaner water for the prop to operate in. Same holds true in fullscale boats.

This is not needed on a catamaran because the tunnel is creating the clean water so the prop can be a bit closer. Off subject but still showing a comparison & generally speaking.

If you look at boats such as the Enforcer Super G' or many of the high performance V's, you'll see the same setback applied in those boats as well.

CNC, you asked about planning... The boat still accelerates like a rocket (my two Super G's did w/clutches). Having not ran a strut so close on a mono in a long time, I would take the advice of 'dahoppa'.

If you are getting mid 30's right now, you've got a good setup. But like most, it can be improved and in this case.... enjoy the rest of the summer and look forward to doing the modifications over the winter break. You'll be pleased with it once you get it dialed in.
    You never know what your faith is, until your faith has been truly tested. Mine is being tested and I\'\'\'\'m praying...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks PHCM thats what I needed to know. I'll look into moving it back. I meeting with ZAC over the weekend he may be ablt to pull some strings.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heres a few examples for you to evaluate.

You can add a complete drive or you can go with the typical setup.[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These are my two personal boats. Well at least the white one is still here. Lol.

But you can see the setback pretty good. This is from the factory.

Name:	Fd92698.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	171576  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is a little extreme but you've got to consider that the boat was over six feet long.

The setup here was temp till he could find the right length and then have the new setup machined.

Check out a few dealers and see what they have.(damn forum won't let you post too many links so I'm not even going to try it).

Bonzi Sports
    Ballentines
    Rocket City Racing

just to name a few.

Have a good one !

Name:	Fd91691.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	171577  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice I like. What prop are you running? It looks to me that I may have my rudder set to far down on the transom, yours looks higher.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats the normal setup from Warehouse Hobbies who builds the boat. The particular running gear you see is from Octura. Nothing special, does the job.

I was told by a few guys that the rudder needs to be lowered to give better stability. Not complaining because it runs in the mid 40's but is a bit wild at times.

Name:	Pn35537.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	171584  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These are my new babies that should be here in a few days.

We'll go through the setup of them together over the winter. Working with struts etc... SpeedWorld hardware is on the way for the Cat & standard Aeromarine for the drag.

In some ways, I'm in a rush to get at least one done before the water gets hard, but its better to wait and do them right.

The white cat is 100% carbon fiber

While the California Drag is 100% Kevlar

Both will be powered by 260's though I'm debating about a mod 230 for the Drag.

Email me through this site for any inquiry's alright.

Not trying to highjack your thread. Keep the ideas coming and lets work together to get these things going.

Name:	Hf97518.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	171588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql33099.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	171589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej12372.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	171590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl24668.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	171591  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In No way do I think your highjacking my thread!!! It is awsome to see some participation! I just got my new Warehouse hobbies canister muffler, I installed it tonight and took it for a run. A little setting of the carb and it ran 38.5mph by gps. I am impressed that it gave me a 3mph gain. I plan on stuffing the crankcase and moving the strut, and a big bore carb, I should see low 40's! Thanks for the replies!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ah ha so maybe rudder too deep was my problem....hmmmm.... now im confused.....new thread.
    \"Salute\" for those who fly, and those who try