Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

airplane guy tries boat - Q1? How do you keep water out of the carb...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

airplane guy tries boat - Q1? How do you keep water out of the carb...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:41 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airplane guy tries boat - Q1? How do you keep water out of the carb...

OK so I am an active boater, fisherman, beach person in general that flys everything RC... So I had to give an RC boat a chance....

I've set up about a 50" glass boat with a Zenoah 230 promod engine, wet pipe, surface drive, etc...

I have run it once now and am still complaining about retrieving it. It seems like if I turn very hard it gets enough water over the side to kill the engine. Am I setting it up with too much rudder throw or does everyone run with the top installed after cranking?

I have no clutch so the idea of installing the top on a running boat seems rather stressful unless there is a good quick attach method.

Questions:
1) How much rudder throw should one have (6" deep rudder about 3/4-1" wide on 50" boat) because I currently have about 30 deg each way.

2) what is a good attach method besides nylon screws for the top if running if ruff water or expect to get some water in the boat.

3) Should I install some kind of device on the carb to prevent spray/splash from killing the engine?////

A couple more attempts and then this boat could be on ebay...

Old 08-11-2005, 11:17 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: airplane guy tries boat - Q1? How do you keep water out of the carb...

There's a couple of us boaters in the Raleigh area who can lend you a hand. What part of Raleigh do you live in and where do you run your boat? You might also be interested in going over to Greensboro to check out the racing action. Lots of gas boats running.

One common method for connecting cowls is Aeromarine quick connects. One push locks them and another unlocks them. You can find them at http://www.aeromarinerc.com/ Note, you want to install some flotation on the cowl in case it comes off.

30 degrees sounds like alot of rudder.

Many install a splash guard, but if you've got a cowl, that's the way to go.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 AM
BMAD01

Default RE: airplane guy tries boat - Q1? How do you keep water out of the carb...

I'm using the Aeromarine quick locks on one boat. And I'm using aircraft landing gear straps with "O" rings, an swivel joints, on amother. It all depends on yer location, and preference. I also fabricated a water spray shield out of a 2oz, Hayes fuel tank. Works great! By the way, I like the "O" ring setup for the cowl better, because there is less chance for damage to the cowl in the event of a flip. Good luck bud! Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23962.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	309120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73710.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	309121  
Old 08-12-2005, 08:40 AM
project5k

i really like that tank splash guard, i gotta build me one of thoes.. also, there are products on the market like the snozler that will help with this... i dont know if they fit your application, but theres stuff out there, just gotta find it...

sounds like youve got a really nice setup(and yes im jealous) so it would be a shame to see you dump that over something like this... but if you do go to sell, lemme know!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 AM
wiz0852
My Feedback: (1)

I have a 60" with no clutch and a cowl and I finally went to magnets (rare earth magnets, very strong). I got a set of three off ebay. Sure makes it easy, just drop it on and your ready to go. they came with screws to mount them with but I epoxied mine on..
Old 08-14-2005, 01:12 PM
kahaikapu

ALOHA WIZ0852..I ALSO PURCHASED THOSE MAGNETS..ARE THEY HARD TO COME APART?WILL THEY CAUSE STRESS ON THE COWL WHILE PULLING IT OFF?..I'VE BEEN WAYING OUT THE THE PROS AND CONS ON THESE MAGNETS FOR AWHILE..THEY SEEM TO BE AWFULLY STRONG.....MAHALO STAN