Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Radio glitch

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Radio glitch

Old 05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Delinport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio glitch

I have a fairly new hitec agressor srx radio. I was setting up the servos in my radio box and noticed the green light was not on but everything seemed to be working ok. I looked in the manual for the radio and it said the green light was a rf signal indicator. So I'm thinking...if everything is working...why is the light not on. So I got messing around a little...it was really starting to bug me. I work with some electronics, plc's, and electrical at work. I decided to give it a little tap. When I tapped on the radio the green light would flicker. I thought there might be a loose connection. Then I noticed if I put a slight pressure on the antenna pulling sideways towards me...the green light would come on. I took a leap of faith and decided to take the radio apart. I pulled the cover off and removed the main board. I put the batteries back in and powered it up and it worked fine. I could go on and on with this so will just tell you what I found. On the back of the main circuit board near the antenna there is a resistor. The resistor was making contact with another circuit board behind it. The other board had a coating on it....but you could see a tiny hole where the resistor had worn the coating. Most likely from vibration riding around in my car. So the resistor was shorting out on the other board. By putting pressure on the antenna, it moved the resistor that was rubbing off the other board. So what I did was gently bent the resistor slightly so it wouldn't make any contact with the other board. Now my green light is on and all is well.

I think I got lucky.

Del
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio glitch

Lucky? Yes, you were, but that's good!
- 'Doc