Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Proboat owners...you know who you are!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat owners...you know who you are!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Proboat owners...you know who you are!

my proboat 55ss seems inherant to "ridin the freeboard" right at about 35mph,or it could be my sons inherant driving skills[:@],either way,after reading the numerous post and replies on this craft, I feel this boat is better suited to the sunday enthusiast,as for my needs,I'm looking at the offerings from www.expresscraft.com, good luck newbies
Old 01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting my three cents in too!! I'm a nitro girl! yes I bash proboat big time too!! Because I own one too!!! So I heve the right to bash them too!!!I have a Miss Bud1/12 strait shaft hydro boat!! Like hydrojunkie has said=listed the proublems with them.I did win a New Miss Bud flex hull off of ebay for 84 dollars thats includes shipping!! A hell of improvments on the hull.I'll find out how good it is when I put a hott .21 or.28 in it and make better improvement on the systems on it.Go to the nitro pages and you'll see alot of bad proublem with proboat and now we got a new proublem child that is the blackjack boat!! Broken drive joints and TL sells the complet new system for 50 dollars for it!! Oh I'd called proboat for some parts info and told them about the blackjack!He hasnt heard anything about the joint proublems yet!!I'd told him to go to rc universe.com and check them out! Lets see if they do that and hope they get off there butts and do somthing about there boat!![>:]
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
saleens7

ORIGINAL: jimmy77433

So...if you were to recommend a good gas hull in the 41"+ size range to a newbie builder who wants more than a RTR electric now what would you choose???
I've been looking at the Pro Boat but I have also seen all the damaged ones on E bay...
you want to build one or buy an rtr??

find emptey hulls here
checkout www.expresscraft.com

they have good hulls for reasonable prices

so does www.aeromarinerc.com

rtr here
and check out www.warehousehobbies.com they have the super G (one of the few "good" RTR's)

and althogh this is mainly an electric boat site, there are a few large gasser hulls here too (hydro&marine Drifter XL, they have some mhz (or MH$) and aeromarine hulls here too)
www.finedesignrc.com
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 PM
TIA

Or you could buy this [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200064804411&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1]gem[/link] off ebay and fix her up yourself!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 PM
misshydro

I would redo the drive train!!It looks like a reneck rig job!![>:]
Old 01-04-2007, 01:55 PM
330T

I got a Miss Llumar right after it was released. I had run RC boats in the mid 80s as a young boy. Me and a friend got the pro boats just to have a toy to play around with. I have since built two all wood boats and have run them as well as i still break out my pro boats Miss Llumar.

All of the damage thats been done to it are directly related to bad driving or me not taking good care of it. The Miss Llumar has about 10 gal of fuel through it and it starts every time, run well and is always fun.

I dont expect it to run with B hydros, I have a .12 rigger that will run twice as fast as the miss llumar, but i never expected the miss llumar to run 40+ mph.

They are what they are, a good toy to go out and have some fun with. the RTR market is picking up, i'd sugest those in charge of clubs imbrace the people who show up with these boats
Old 01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: G-1

Or you could buy this [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200064804411&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1]gem[/link] off ebay and fix her up yourself!
Good thing that it comes with oars....
Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
heaths rc models

I own a shockwave 55 and the exhaust is way too loud !!

Can anyone suggest a good aftermarket pipe please
Old 01-04-2007, 03:53 PM
saleens7

i think you can buy a muffler that attaches to the end of the pipe, but you might need to cut into the exhaust exit in the hull to get it to fit...i it will ruin the scale effect of the tucked away exhaust, but it can only be an improvement over the noise...

i like the loud exhausts though...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
jimmy77433

I saw a tuned pipe on the MHZ site that meets the european sound level standards...kinda pricey but only 74 Db

[link=http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details.aspx?ProductCode=m-1615C&store=mhzusa]MHZ-usa[/link]

Jim
Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
saleens7

kinda pricey
well then why do you think half the people here refer to them as MH$??

well, i think the tuned pipe would be better, as they increase power and rpm, but the mufflers decrease that...i think...
Old 01-05-2007, 01:07 AM
TIA

ORIGINAL: saleens7

but the mufflers decrease that...i think...
True with the exception of the T-Mod.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 AM
f16man

nitro=FAST.....wat is ur fasination with weed wacker boats i have seen them run and was not impressed at all..... the cost of a fast gasser is way more than a nitro boat at 20 to 30 mph faster than your modified yard tools., ha ha . come to the dark side where speed talks and weed wackers cut grass.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 AM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: f16man

nitro=FAST.....wat is ur fasination with weed wacker boats i have seen them run and was not impressed at all..... the cost of a fast gasser is way more than a nitro boat at 20 to 30 mph faster than your modified yard tools., ha ha . come to the dark side where speed talks and weed wackers cut grass.
well then go play with your fast nitro boat .and when you have to stop every five minutes the weedwakers will still be going strong , when you have to tune it every five secound guess what that weedwaker is still going .take your nitro comments to the nitro boat section please .
Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM
mopartybob

at 25bucks a gal. (nitro) vs 2.60 a gal.(unleaded) guess who's having MORE FUN....
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 AM
longanddeep

question people? i love the loud noise but people on my lake are getting **** off about the noise.. i have a shockwave 55 and was wondering what is the best way to make it less noisy without losing speed? can i take the attachment off when i am somewhere else?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 AM
mopartybob

welcome to the forum,aside from running your boat at 8:00am-8:00pm ,I guess you can say the shockwave is rather loud,LOL...anywayz,there are aftermarket "stinger" muffled extensions that drastically cut the noise without losing power and are held on by a simple clamp,I don't have a link to one cuz i like my shockwave LOUD,but i'm sure someone else will chime in soon...good luck and check your screws.......
Old 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
edmkills

Welcome to the board. I'm with Mopartybob I like it loud and check every screw.

Heres a link to some mufflers... American Rc Boats is a great place to do buisness. BTW thanks Zac for taking the time to help us out at RCU.

http://www.americanrcboats.com/produ...gineacczen.htm
Old 04-01-2007, 11:15 PM
harleridr

Hi All,
I bought a BJ 55 three weeks ago as my first r/c boat. I have only run 2 gallons of gas through it and have had no problems yet. I bought through my LCO and they assembled it, a clutch bearing was replaced at that time as it did not feel right (they found it had not been greased), everything was then locktited, lubed and the carb. and radioad justed. No problems so far.
My thanks to Gerbers RC and Twisted Liquid for all the help.
Fred
Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
team esp

I've seen every run my friend has made with his Shockwave 55 (old school yellow one). It was new when we firtst got it on the water and the problems didn't take long to surface. Most of them revolve around loose hardware and the exhaust rattling loose. Besides being ultra weak, the hull apears to have a serious hook. Several stress cracks have shown in areas that were never abused from handling. In one flip that it had, it barrel rolled several feet and the rudder bent as it touched bottom in shallow water. At the same time the starboard seam opened up three quarters of the length of the hull. Granted, flips and barrel rolls are above and beyond your standard use, but just an idea of how it holds up. The recoil starter gave a tug back out of his hand one day and spidered a crack from the edge by the recoil starter over to the deck/hull seam. I told him to wait until we could give the inside a few extra layers of CF or Kevlar before use, but we both couldn't wait.

To compare, my Aeromarine 50" Apache pulls the recoil back pretty hard quite often (crazy 230 mod) and not a slight scratch where it has ever hit the deck. I also was amazed to see that just the other day after a run at the lake, I placed my boat back in the basement only to have my dog (65lb English Pointer) step under the railing on the basement stairs and onto the deck of the boat! I nearly flipped as she streached over with her weight on it to grab one of the hatch drivers next to it on the table. It flexed a bit and popped right back into shape as she backed off it. My 4th Aeromarine hull showed up today (45" Cyclone). I guess that tells you my feelings on their quality.

Back to the Shockwave... It is really fun because it is light and fast with the 260 power, but the durability just isn't there. If he paid any more than the $429 he got it for, we'd both be pi$$ed. It is a cool looking hull so we're going to reinforce the inside and push it to the limit I guess. For those asking, the Enforcer wet exhaust drops right in there and exits perfectly at the transom. It also provided a quick 5+mph over the stock weed-eater style muffler. It's relatively cheap to add on also ($80-$90) for the whole kit- flange, header, and pipe.

I personally think that if you compare this boat to what Expresscraft, Aeromarine, or especially Warehouse Hobbies, has to offer, you'll feel cheated. At WHH you can actually spend $200-$300 less and have a reliable boat. Not trying to upset any Proboat owners, just giving my experiences...
Old 04-10-2007, 12:09 PM
magnum57

WOW, I just got a shockwave 55 and am not going to even run it. I have 2 Enforcers and I guess I should have stuck with WareHouse hobbies products. I baught the shockwave used with only 15 min on it looks great dont see any problems. But you all have scared me into selling ASAP. I'll stick with Enforcers. My Magnum 57 is sweet and the Super Sport way to cool. I'm new to the hobbie and don't want a bad taste in my mouth about this wonderful hobbie. Thanks for all the info in this thread.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Ovrkil

Well I guess I'm hooped, I have a Shockwave 55 coming very soon.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
nshumway

I have a shockwave 55 SS and the Blackjack 55 and am overal very pleased with them. Nice boats for the money. Sure there are ways they could be better but the price is right. I modified mine to be able to run off electric power as well- take a look at www.nshumway.com
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 PM
jensenkp2

how much you want for the shockwave
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 PM
MKMotorsport

I recently got my 96' vintage WHH Team XP back on the water after being stored the last 5 or so years. Prior to that, the boat has 100's of hours of use, alot of it in BIG water (Lake Michigan). During this time I watched the various Proboat offerings hit the market, and almost purchased one myself. Instead, I opted to "refresh" my ole' XP recently with a new exhaust/pipe, and after reading threads like this, am glad I did. The XP was shelved/stored originally due to an RX/Crystal failure, in which the boat beached itself on some jagged rocks at about 1/2 thottle. The only real damage was superficial gelcoat damage, the rest of the boat remaining solid. I finally got it out to the lake yesterday and running, and had a couple of fellow boaters inquire about the "new" boat. Both were amazed to learn the hull is 11 years old [8D] That speaks alot about quality craftsmenship. Besides, how many other company presidents personally answer your email to "the company"?? Now they just need to come out with a sweet cat or hydro design...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.