Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

homemade gasser w/pics

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

homemade gasser w/pics

Old 01-12-2007, 11:18 PM
yeeharacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: homemade gasser w/pics

Funny how something so ghetto gets a bazillion posts in a few hours.

Good luck man, you will be required to supply a video of this thing running or sinking for all the people posting here.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:29 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

At least bag the servo if you're going to zip tie it directly to the carb.

About the fact that the hole mite be too small for the wire, we don't have to use another servo top peace for the rudder end (not the servo end) even a thin peice of wood or medal with a hole size of whatever glued or screwed to were the 3rd servo peice would go would work too. I'll bring over an additional top peace tomorrow just encase though.

bennyncatha, We no it won't sink or not move. That prop has worked on our last attempted boat, even though it was extra slow due to a wet belt drive, and also thanks to high rpm's when the motor was tested, it moved grass with the wind coming off the prop at full throttle, so we no it will move.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 PM
kingfish999

ORIGINAL: bennyncatha

you should just put it in the watter with out the rutter an see if it will even move with that lown mower blad you have for a prop.
well on the first boat i made, it only had a few tiny leaks that every 5 min or when the engine stalled, we would sponge it out and run it again. but considering how that engine wasnt in tune, it had leaks, it was belt drive that would go underwater(1 of the main reasons we would have to empty of water) and we used the same propeller and it still went im estimating 3-5mph and also that belt would slip alot so i could of went faster. i know that i will make it work and i made it pretty much leak proof or at least i will make it when i test for leaks. i know this will work.

as for the video u want me to make, ill make it but it may be in a while due to i have to finish alot, tomarrow im going horse back riding with my mom (i really dont wanna go cause i dont even like horses) and im going to try to get a go-kart or minibike from some1 who stole it from me tomorrow.

koolaid, do u still have all those pics and stuff from out 1st boat? that might make others believe this will work better than they think.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:06 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

yeeharacing, wheel post pics as soon as progress is made. We will also try to get a video of the first test.

Jamie, we might be able to use the new silver video camera I have for a video later. I looked for the pics of the first boat (same tubelware container, old design, for those who didn't know) and couldn't find them tonight, I'll search again tomorrow and post them when found. I am pretty sure theres no video for it though.

I'm signing off for the night.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:17 AM
kingfish999

alright then. well im done tonight, its midnight, my room is still a mess, i cant get the throttle for the carb to work quite yet (it works till it goes to full then the line gets stuck on an adjustment screw so it cant idle down but works fine till u go in full). ill have to fiddle a bit more with it.also it sucks that we dont have a clutch on the engine but o well. anyway im tired as **** and my feet still hurt from sprinting with bare feet.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

(the dictionary is taking a punishing here but alas we continue).

That prop has worked on our last attempted boat, even though it was extra slow due to a wet belt drive, and also thanks to high rpm's when the motor was tested, it moved grass with the wind coming off the prop at full throttle, so we no it will move
I dont see 3mph as a victory lap - even for a tub. And while it may move the grass it wont do much for moving water unless it has 30hp in front of it. I think you will find attaching a pedistal fan to a gas motor will move air - but certainly in the water it will be a whole lot less effective.

My recommendation of a more appropriate size of prop was made for several reasons and [link=http://image.rcuniverse.com/gallery/photos/162003/lg-63904.jpg]based on experience[/link] including safety and performance. Fact is that a smaller prop than what your swinging will be far more capable of using the actual motor rpm and could eliminate the slipping (and energy wasting) belt drive.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:56 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha i thought id seen everything wow ,and i thought i was a cheap skate for useing a weedy engine but at least i spend time building a propper boat hull i just dont get why you would waste any time on that thing at all.get some wood and build a nice deep v and get some propper hardware before someone gets hurt.that prop you made will not work and is very dangerous as matt says you need a propper boat prop to let the engine get to its max rpm.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:18 AM
BUDMAN27

Kingfish999 your boat looks cool. I am worried a bout that prop. It looks dangerus to me. Make sure your not nere it when you start this boat. Looks like it could fly off and hurt someone. Other than that keep up the good work.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 AM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

i wanna see some tub racing
Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 AM
kingfish999

That prop has worked on our last attempted boat, even though it was extra slow due to a wet belt drive, and also thanks to high rpm's when the motor was tested, it moved grass with the wind coming off the prop at full throttle, so we no it will move
1. i know that it doesnt mean much when it moves the grass but really it blows wind as much as a leaf blower does and thats on medium speed.
2.the prop blades arnt at a high angle so it will still be able to have high rpms.
3. that 3mph was for a boat that we didnt spend hardly any time on due to a neibor alwasy rushing us to finish (like he did with alot of projects.
4. that was a belt drive and where the belt was not very tight and kept slipping and this is a direct drive.
5. the old engine was sooo usless cause it seemed to be like 1\4hp, it never was tuned right and used a non-perportional throttle so it stalled alot when the new engine is alot stronger, faster and never stalls.
6. if u look at the propeller, u would see that it isnt bad at all

overall, everything is better on this boat from the electronics, motor, and the way we modified the hull.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:04 AM
martno1fan

listen fella that prop might blow fresh air but thats just the point isnt it theres no resistance to fresh air lol when its in water it will not hit its optimum rpm no way with that prop whatsoever.a weedy engine normally uses a boat prop of 70 to 82 mm diamater to find the best rpms.what diamater is that fan you made(dont call it a boat prop) .while were at it lets be honest and stop calling it a boat too its a tub!!you are going to get hurt , cut yer hands off or worse on that monstrosity is all i can say.sorry to be blunt but you dont seem to be listening to anyone elses advice on how dangerous that thing is.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 AM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

im comming after you !!!!!!!!!!! watch out suckka
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75144.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	596810  
Old 01-13-2007, 10:41 AM
martno1fan

lol instead of throwing those beuties in that tub throw em in my trash can lol
Old 01-13-2007, 11:17 AM
kingfish999

i would put up some more pics but my battery is dead. i got my second throttle cable to work and my throttle is done. now im going to work on the rudder. i appreciate all the help and advice but it seams to show that everyone says to put the rudder on the side and use the 2 bars so im going to get that done soon but first im going to test for leaks and cuak it again.

if the "blade" it too big, then i have a hacksaw and a grinder and a spare that i can cut it smaller if i need to.

edit: nice "tub"!! how fast does it go and what did u do for a rudder? or have u not tried it yet?

reedit: i deleted what shouldn't have been said
Old 01-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Euan

Hello,
mate do us all a favour and scrap your boat/tub before you hurt someone? if you happpen to get injured or hurt someone its our hobby that gets the bad press,.
your cavalier attitude sucks Grow UP.
Euan Galloway
Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 AM
martno1fan

stupidity is not funny its just stupiditysome people are beyond help so why bother thats all i can say.remember to post pics when you end up in casualty then we can say told you so!!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:48 AM
edmkills

Looks like you could have a future in doing R&D for proboat !
Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 PM
kingfish999

well ppl said its going to sink and there completely wrong. just did a leak test and its watertight besides i tiny hole that does a drip every 2 seconds and i can still fix that. really im not stupid, its just that i love to build things completely homeaid from scratch. if i have to ill make a smaller prop but really the one on it isnt that big as the pics show, its only a 4'' or so (bout 2 on each side and a 1 in middle) and i can make it to as small as i want in minutes. o if u post just to say dont to it or its stupid, then dont post cause theres no way im turning back.

o and actually yes, im going to get a job in marine R&D after i go to college.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Euan

Hello,
kingfish,with your design of watercraft i think you would be better off studying horticulture,
on a serious note mate be carefull with that prop,
cheers Euan.
PS you have a good user name 999 in the UK is the number we call for the emergency services ambulances et al?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM
kingfish999

well with my spare prop, ill make it alot smaller so u can all can shut up bout it being soo bad. right now im letting everything dry since i just tested for leaks and i have to wait another 24 hours so that the cauk can dry.

well in the US, 911 is the emergency number and 999 is just something i use in all my profiles.

just cause this is a bad design for boat doesn't mean im not a good designer but im alot better at mechanics than design. once i get this done, im going to put a bow so it wont plow and it should plain out when im completly done with it but right now im out of wood so i cant make it yet and thats the reason i didn't make my own haul
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CAN"T STAND IT ANYMORE, [] ,I admire your moxy kid, and I don't want you to get hurt or hurt anyone else, PM me your address and I'll send you a hull...HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM
martno1fan

if that thing planes ill eat my ******* keyboard lol,really we arent been cruel for the fun of it its good to see you want to try things but why not start by building a boat? they arent hard to build ill even send you the plans !!.all you will need is one sheet of 1/8 marine or birch plywood.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
martno1fan

bob my adress is 26****** ********
england lol just kidding thats a very kind offer you just made well done!!
you may just have saved him some fingers or more now how about a prop from someone else!!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:18 PM
kingfish999

shall 500lb. and I try a trolling motor prop?
-lightweight
-plastic so it wont rust
-low pitch
-manufactured by a company
-not dangerous
Old 01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Ok ....
I've been sitting back biting my tongue ( but I think I bit the whole thing off by now )

Go to a lumberyard type store ( like 84 Lumber ) and ask about if they have any DAMAGED inside doors . ( damaged - meaning , like maybe a punctured hole in it somewhere that is not too big in size ) Most doors are made from the RIGHT thickness wood sheeting you would use to MAKE your own boat . ( and , can be had for little to next to nothing )
I pick them up all the time at a place called MENARDS . I usually get them for a rounf $1.00 to the MAX of $2.50 EACH !
Simply dig out your jig saw , cut around the outer edge , and there you have it .... a sheet of the correct diameter sheeting wood so you can then get building .
PLEASE ! ! !
do NOT use those items you show in the pics . Thats just a thing , looking for a place to have a MAJOR accident . AND , as was said above ... it WILL give RC boating a VERY bad name if something negative happens .
If you don't respect yourself enough not to continue with that project , then , please , respect others and do NOT continue . Someone WILL get hurt if you do ![]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.