Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Wildthing – boat build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Wildthing – boat build

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 PM
kritter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wildthing – boat build

Let me start by saying, thanks for all the help provided here. Son and I are building a Wildthing – 50” just for bashing around. Build has gone pretty well to date, we have the hull built with stringers, glass laid up to strengthen the joints, stringers, and transome. Not sure of the weight yet but it is built out of 1/8” for hull and 1/4” stringers. We are pondering the running gear. We’re not going to invest a lot of money in an engine, just a 25cc homey or Ryobi with clutch, aircooled. After reading a lot of posts here I called the parts store wanting to get some verbal answers to questions on running gear. He basically said not to use a weedy flex shaft cause it would break quickly, not a big deal his ¼ shaft is only $12. He also said not to use a P-275 prop cause the engine wouldn’t be able to turn it fast enough and would load up the engine and overheat the aircooled engine. He suggested a SS-65 prop to allow the engine to turn faster.

Question for you guys: what do you think of his suggestions? How much smaller is a SS-65 than a P275? Have you guys had weedy flex shafts break?
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wildthing – boat build

that guy wants shooting for telling you that,the flex is fine that came with the engine and also the 275 is a good prop for a homie the engine will not spin it as fast as a zen and maybe a 280 would be better more torque less rpm from a homie so in theory you can spin a bigger prop than a high revving engine, but a 65 would be way too small i think asuming the 65 is the diam of it in mm?.most guys on here use the 275 prop but im going with a 280 for now as the lower rpm but high torque should make this a good prop for my engine.id say get the 275 and try that ,no way will it overload your engine thats rubbish.if i can spin a 80mm prop im sure you can spin a 75 mm prop.i may even yet get a 275 if im not happy with mine .
Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Flabum

I think I would go with a stock Zen, that way you can upgrade it easier in the future. By the time you get a Homie into that boat, you will pay close to what a stock Zen would cost you. I always "plan for the future", and with a 50" Wild Thing, there is a long future for that boat.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:24 AM
martno1fan

not everyone can afford a zen and the homies are good engines and can be modded to run better, my weedy not a homie is gonna get a walb carb as they do fit my engine not sure whats available to you for the homie ?.also some port work can improve the engines power a lot!! if you know how or know some one who does.id go with the homie for now and save up for that zen for the future.30 mph to mid 30s is a realistic speed id say for a homie with the right set up.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Euan

Kritter,
hello mate,at the moment i am building a fun boat for my daughter using a cheap 28cc aircooled clutched motor,i have added a larger carb and a tuned pipe and expect to get at least 30 mph ,i will be using a prather p275 as this has worked very well in the past,i,ve posted a couple of pictures for you.When i get the chance i will post a couple of photos of a completed boat i made last autumn/ cheers Euan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33889.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	601444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60789.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	601445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82821.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	601446  
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 AM
martno1fan

hurry up and get some pink paint for that thing euan shell love it !!.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Euan

kritter,
i managed to take a few photos of my sons boat that i built last year,it is powered by a Mc Culloch 28cc clutched motor,it also uses a prather 275 and runs approx 30 mph,i think that these low powered boats are a great intro to petrol boats,they tend to be heavier than a zen powered boat of the same size,and can be used in some pretty rough water without getting hairy.
The added advantage is that if you run in salt water there is less to do at the end of a days playing.
This boat is a World models leapard its moulded in epoxy and is a very high quality product even the paint scheme is in the gell,it is however identical to the Dumas scarab.The motor is standard apart from a large bore walbro carb and a twenty year old magic muffler tuned pipe.cheers Euan.

Name:	Us54904.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	601459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89858.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	601460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12254.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	601461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67358.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	601462  
Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
kritter

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I thought I was on the right track as we've done extensive reading here and other forums on Gas Boats. I think the guy was just trying to sell his products, guess you can't blame him.

Those are some real nice builds posted, thanks.

Next question: with the 1/4 flex shaft and the P-275 prop I'll need a strut and prop shaft that are also 1/4".

I've seen some posts stating the dual rudder setup will just increase drag, a single rudder setup behind the prop would deflect the propwash thus creating similar negative drag, and an offset rudder will not turn equally bot directions. Which is the best way to go for a basher?

Thanks, again.....
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Euan

Kritter,
I will try and answer your question on a suitable rudder set up,all three of your suggestions will work, i have used all three myself with all working well.
The twin rudder works great and looks good as for creating more drag of course it will but with a low powered set up as you are planning to use i doubt you will notice.
The rudder directly behind the prop or Strudder unit is my favourite for sport boats it also looks good and works very well,it is harder to get access to the prop for maintenance ,greasing the flexi etc but in my opinion is the one to go for.
The third option of an ofset rudder is more common on a circuit racing boat that spends its life racing around an oval it works well but in my opinion looks odd stuck out on the right side of the transom,i often get members of the public asking if my rudder was installed after too much beer.I am sure others have there ideas on the best set up and i hope they reply to your question.
any more help please ask Euan.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

plain old weedy flex shaft is just fine. thats all i ever used. the only shaft i had a problem with was a store bought welded shaft flex they overheated the flex and made it brittle...cost me a new 4 blade prop
Old 01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Euan

kritter,
I forgot to say that i have used the flexi shaft from the strimmer with no problems,i,ve got a far more serious problem with my Daughters boat she insists i paint it Pink?,should i do it? will i get banned from the lake? ,
take care Euan.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:23 PM
hosnoopy

Hi ya,
Euan I say do what ever keeps the kids interested in the hobby even if it means copping it from the mates [sm=omg_smile.gif].
kritter if your son is just starting i would sugest the weedwacker "safty first". I used sub surfase drive so the boat would turn well both ways. The only flex that broke on me was the all in one flex/stub[:@], now I only use flex with a frel so if it breaks you dont do your prop. I used 275 and 280 and found for me the 280 was best.

Good luck and have fun Snoopy.

Name:	Xv63302.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	601969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22636.jpg
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	601970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76702.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	601971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56486.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	601972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53998.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	601973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj72019.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	601974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67331.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	601975  
Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Euan

kritter,
I spent a day in the workshop doing some work on my daughters boat,i have posted a few pictures,
next stage is to sand the body fller,primer and then paint.
have you got any pics of the wildthing build?.
I glassed in quarter inch ply rails for the motor and to support the radio box,and spent some time
making a strudder unit from the Prestwich hardware,i hope to have the boat in paint tomorrow,
cheers Euan

Name:	Pn36293.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	602556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39441.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	602557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95238.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	602558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49538.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	602559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61731.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	602560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lb46364.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	602561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83364.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	602562  
Old 01-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Euan

Hosnoopy,
can i ask what is the engine in your boat? did you machine the watercooled head it looks very good .
Whats the hull ? approx size etc? ,
cheers mate Euan.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
martno1fan

hi snoopy im glad to see you used the 280 i have just bought a prather x280 prop after Dave Marles advised me to go for an 80 mm prop.i beleive the lower rpm higher torque of the weedy needs that bigger prop to get good speed as they dont have high rpm,s everyone seems to use 270 or 275 for zens so it stands to reason to me a lower revving engine is better served using a larger prop especially as weedys have high torque.yet i still see guys using 270 s and 275s on weedys when they dont have the rpm to spin it fast enough.by the way euan i cant wait to see that pink boat lol!!!.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Euan

mart,
looking at tomorrows weather i doubt i will get the boat painted too cold,whats up with pink? you try and reason with a three year old ,i may do an apple candy redish pink a bit more subtle at the lakeside,as Iam an Ex Royal Marine i think i can handle any passing comments from fellow boaters or just throw them in the lake .katie has got envolved with the build she helped to sand the engine rails today and even suggested black paint for the interior.
She also suggested i build a dolls house for her next birthday ,
cheers Euan
Old 01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
kritter

Euan and others,

thanks for the help, I'm posting some pics I took of the hull a little while ago but couldn't get them online.

Anyway, I think we have decided on the surface drive, and single rudder behind the prop.

Question: The flex shaft is 1/4", prop is a P275, I think that is a 1/4" drive prop, right?
I see most struts are 3/8". Should I be looking for a 1/4" strut and prop shaft?
If so, who offers the strut and rudder I need at a reasonable price?

P.S. I have read some of the posts where parts suppliers were recommended but I don't think I saw the strut I needed.

Parts numbers, suppliers in the US, etc are really helpful if you have handy. We're working down to the CG calculation and need our running gear to get it all aproximated....hehehehe

Name:	Ec87949.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	605085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12313.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	605086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80004.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	605087  
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM
patriktegelberg

ORIGINAL: Euan
i,ve got a far more serious problem with my Daughters boat she insists i paint it Pink?,should i do it?
I had a pink boat that I raced in 1998. The year after I stopped racing and have not been to a race since, until last summer when I attended one as a spectator. One of the racers greeted me and said "Hello, long time no see. You are the one with the pink boat, right?" [&:] Honest to god true story.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM
kritter

Ok, I beat you back to the board and did some more research.

I found RocketCityRacing: so much to choose from........aaarrrrggggg.

I see everything listed separately, and then I found the drive package including: Octura Models Strudder Package:
This package is designed for .22-.30cc gas engines in hulls where a separate strut and rudder is desired (such as a hydro) This package comes with a 1/4"prop shaft and 1/4" flex cable. It also includes the SSSLBO (large stainless steel strut blade) with 2 - OC8LTS (sleeve bearings) and 2 - OC10RB (reducer bushings) installed, the OC8PS (1/4"prop shaft, drive dog and tailnut), 4 nylon washers OCFSF2525 (flex ferrule) and OC8SQL-24B (2' .250 flex cable and matching teflon tubing. This package also comes with the OC6WRL large wedge rudder assembly.

Looks to me like this have an extra part (flex cable) and is $94 bucks, ouch... but having the everything in one package for a basher might not be so bad. I figured 25 for strut, 45 for rudder and then misc (prop shaft, ferrul, drive dog, tail nut and bushings) would put me in the same ballpark.

I guess if any of you could tell me which PACKAGE Deal would work (looking at surface drive, rudder behind prop) would work. I didn't see anything regarding the length of the strut (saw prop should be 4.25" behind boat would put rudder 5.5" behind boat...)....

Aaaarrrrrggggg
Old 01-24-2007, 06:46 AM
hosnoopy

Euan the donk in that boat was changed quite often as I killed about 4 whipper snippers "opps". The one pitcherd is a 25cc GMC without a clutch, same as a homelite but different plastics. The jacket was a home made job but next time I would just use a zen jacket. Euan tell ya the truth I'v got no idea what the hull is 44"long 14.5"Wide, just a hull that the local boys make, its a great fun boat but when you start to crank out sum numbers..... well it all goes pear shap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFEDuZTe9VQ

Kritter have you seen this site? http://topsecretboats.com/ I think it is speedmaster hardwere (good prices) I love the stringer drive.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 AM
martno1fan

Kritter try here for your hardware and props they deliver quick and also cheap!! by the way if you get a 1/4 flex that joins to a 3/16 stub you could use carbon props on your boat as the small weedys arent very powerfull and you will save $$$$$ on your prop all you need is a ferrule thats 1/4 for the flex and 3/16 the other side for the stub shaft and run it in the 3/16 strut.ive yet to see a 3/8 shaft i think you meant 3/16?.by the way carbon props dont need sharpening or balancing its allready done so thats another job done.i know a guy whos used carbon props on a zen with no bad affects but thats not advisable but on a weedy it will be fine.i run a carbon prop on an 11 cc nitro engine that has way more rpm than a weedy and it runs great.[link]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rcworldwide-com[/link]
ps Euan did i say there was owt wrong with pink? i think i suggested it lol.good to see our armed forces are in touch with their femenine side haha .
Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Euan

Mart,
still no pink paint on Katies boat,i went out to B@Q with good intentions but came away with several cans of metalic purple,Katie is not impressed ?.
Tomorrow i guess it will have to go back,Patrik nice pink hull mate ,i will post a picture tomorrow of my daughters new pink boat.,
cheers Euan.
ps mart it may be pink but its a gas boat,get building thats an order.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Euan

Hoosnoopy,
I just watched your vid,your boat performs really well,probably one of the best weedeater boats i have seen,sounds
great,dont fancy swimming in your pond mate any crocs?,
cheers Euan.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM
martno1fan

CRIKEY MATE STREUTH SHES A BEUTY!! lol sharks ate all the crocs mate .Euan i dont take orders from no man i only answer to the missus lol!!.looks like your daughters got your number too haha i cant wait to see her pink boat and dont forget the my little pony decals lol!!.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 AM
hosnoopy

Nar we shot the sharks dam snaks taken over now
Euan, Bet ya 10 bucks it gets called Barbie Girl hahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.