Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Ebay Hydro Hull??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Ebay Hydro Hull??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM
berettanick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Hydro Hull??

i am looking to build my first hydro with some help for the local club but i wanted to know if anyone has seen this hull. i found it on ebay for a buy now of 150 i went ahead and got it but i dont want to start on a junk hull. it is 48" and unassembled but my buddy used to do boat construction so he said he would marry the deck and the hull for me. i am wanting to do a zenoah engine. as for setup and hardware i have no idea thats were the club guys come in.
oh the hull is from the model boat outlet.
here is pic if it works[img][/img][link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110090266906[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87093.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	620934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38316.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	620935  
Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ebay Hydro Hull??

hey nick,read the thread on splashed hulls,so you get an idea of what you might get,but i have no history with this seller so's i really can't comment on this purchase except ...... be careful and look a little deeper........[:-]
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
TIA

At least the guy was honest showing the pictures. I would have run away from that one.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
barnstormerboats

The model boat outlet can be trusted. That boat should be fine with a fill and paint job.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Paul M

Well, I guess you can't expect too much for a 100 bucks, but dude that thing is a mess. Gonna take alot of work to get ready for paint which has got me thinkin if it looks that bad on the outside you have to wonder about the way it's laid up[]

Might want to check into Yee haw's turd polishing class on the next thread

But like what was said before the guy was totally honest. Just seems like for what its gonna cost in time and cash to get this thing workin you'd a been better of buyin a hull in a little better shape and spendin the extra cash.

Sorry
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
yeeharacing

The way this boat sits you have about a weeks worth of glass and putty work before you can even start building.
Assuming 2-3 hours per night after work or school which ever.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:10 AM
apache57stryker43

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, dont waste your time unless you have a fiberglass fetish and lots of time on your hands!

JT~
Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tim is biased as he owns the Model Boat Outlet.
BTW Tim, you might want to add that to your signature.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:57 AM
TIA

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Tim is biased as he owns the Model Boat Outlet.
BTW Tim, you might want to add that to your signature.

Ha! I didn't know that!

Not knocking anybody here, It's just back to the ol' adage, you get what you pay for. And I think we've all been there. Some people enjoy projects and this will certainly be one. Myself, after learning the hard way as well, I'd rather have the boat done right from the beginning and pay a little more for it to be there, than to save a few bucks and have all that work ahead of me.

Some people feel differently though. Like my Dad! Old fashioned in his ways and always looking for a deal. He'd rather spend $75 on cheap shocks for his car that come with a lifetime warranty but needs to be replaced every year by the service center. I'd just spend the $125 for the shock that lasts 10-15 years and not have to be bothered with it all. Like politics, there is no wrong answer. It's just to each there own. You'll live with your decisions.

Break out the sandpaper!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 AM
berettanick

Well i guess ill see when it gets here. i hope it is fixable i have till summer and i am pretty good at glassing and with my friends help that done lots of them, maybe. ill just cross my fingers and hope its not a waste.
thanks for the input.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 AM
TIA

Take your time and have fun with it!

It's your project. Enjoy it!

They call it a hobby for a reason.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 AM
edmkills

Make sure you let us know what you think when it arrives. Do the flash light test that Terbobob suggested in another post, shine a flashlight through the fiberglass and see how well its layed up.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Euan

Guys,
i have bought a hull from this seller and can report that he is 100% ,i had a hull shipped from the us to the uk without any problems,his hulls are not copies/splashed hulls just slight seconds ,shure they do require a degree of basic modelling skills and are not ready to paint out of the box .
My hull took a good 10 hours of prep work to get to the paint stage ,look at the postive side gets you out of the house/wife /kids etc and in to the sanctuary of your workshop,my advice have a go you may ENJOY it?.
cheers Euan.
ps don,t you just love the smell of fiberglass in the morning.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 AM
barnstormerboats

The Model Boat Outlet is a company that is my customer. We share an office (which I am hardly ever in) with several other companies. My shop is in another building completely. It is part of our agreement that they do not post the brand name. I would simply toss these boats in the dumpster then send them to my full priced customers or have people thinking this is the quality of product I put out. Training new guys is never easy, but I would never pass a boat like that off on someone. SO I sell them to MBO for more than the dumpster pays. They have done a good job of describing the boats issues, pricing them accordingly and shipping quickly (100% feedback). Further, They offer money back to anyone who is not happy. So rest easy Nick.

I was not "selling" him on this boat, because he stated that he had already bought it. I only posted here because I knew that boat was as described. The glass work is fine and strong. NO way near the ugly stuff of Yeehaws boat. I did not want Nick to worry about the structure. I guess if that is a problem let me know and I will avoid any future posts referencing The Model Boat Outlet. I do not want to add them to my signature as they are a customer and only a fraction of my output plus they sell some boats that I do not even offer!

Bottom line is that this particular boat is solid and strong with the flaws described and pictured. Does it need work? Yes. That is why the kit sold for $99. Actually listed at $75. Same kit goes for $199 + shipping from Barnstormer flaw free. SO Nick, You saved $100 and got yourself a project.. Where is the problem? Worst part of the boat is the hatch which is easy to replace with a new one if the repairs are too much for you. It was made by a new guy who did not clean out the gel gun good enough on a color change (Plus, he should have shot the white first). The acetone laden red gell residue kept the gell from setting causing the discoloration and air when the laminating resin melted into it. (when it wrinkled it sucked air in) . The pic of the inside of the peices shows the laminates are smooth and overlap in all the right places. By the time he was done shooting the gel on the hatch, the gun had flushed itself and the rest of the boat was pretty white without the wrinkles.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:19 AM
berettanick

thanks again guys i do value your opions and i will keep you informed of progress and hope to gather some ideas as well
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 AM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: barnstormerboats

The model boat outlet can be trusted. That boat should be fine with a fill and paint job.
Tim...I think that's because you are the company. You say above it's a different company and that you share a office...but in the link from JRCBD, you say it is your own blems from your own company...WHICH ONE IS IT???? Both companies seem to have the same phone number....

http://p086.ezboard.com/The-Model-Bo...cID=2634.topic

Old 02-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tim or MBO has been very up front about these hulls though, I have to give him/them credit for that.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM
barnstormerboats

Man Oh Man, I knew I should have just left poor Nick in the lurch and avoided this post. He had already bought the boat and was asking questions about it. I tried to help ease his mind that the boat was AS DESCRIBED. HE will have his kit in a few days and be just fine with it. In the meantime I get beat up for trying to help. Just goes to prove the old saying that "No Good Deed Goes Un-Punished" I gained absolutely nothing by letting people know this flawed boat came from my shop!

I would not have posted any thoughts on an MBO boat that I did not supply them! Here is my theory - POST WHAT YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU THINK!

In that post on the dock, I found a bunch of shoot from the hippers were trying to say that they "thought" The Model Boat Outlet was Barnstormerboats.com. I simply posted MY phone # for Barnstormer Boats with the request that anyone who wanted to know about Barnstormerboats.com could call me directly any time. I never posted a phone # for The Model Boat Outlet or said I owned that company. The company was formed by a group of partners from the office who thought they could make a couple bucks and clear the stock room that I was clogging up. I did not even want to sell those flawed boats on my website anymore due to the association of poor quality they represented. They cut a deal with me to buy these boats in volume. I simply commented on MBO's formation from the FACTS I knew! FURTHER, I specifically stated that Julia answered EMAILS from Ebay for them from 9-3 eastern time. To my knowledge, they do not take phone calls and only sell on Ebay directly inside of the Ebay email system. I never gave my phone number as a contact for the MBO. In Fact I clearly stated that I was sick of dealing with Ebay People and no longer sold there! This whole post is reaffirming that in SPADES. PLEASE READ THE DOCK POST AGAIN. SLOWLY THIS TIME ABSORBING ALL THE FACTS NOT DEVELOPING BETWEEN THE LINES THEORY.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT, you will find MBO selling boats that you will not find on my website!!!!!!! Its none of my business who else supplies them! I have enough work just focused on developing my own business without worrying about what others do. I am happy to see they are doing a good job on Ebay and have made some very happy customers. They want more boats than I can afford to give them as I barely cover my costs on boats that would otherwise be scrap to me.

I really felt that I needed to post the FACTS to dash the THEORY presented here. Any future questions about MY business should be dealt with via a phone call to 586 855 6511 or direct email to [email protected] so this forum can continue to be a helpful happy place. I sincerely hope this is the last time I have to deal with this. I value my membership here and will continue to support RCU by focusing on value added content in my posts and buy banners with my advertising budget.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe Petro

Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will be happy to randomly add zapkits.com to any given thread I am in for you joe