Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave deck fasteners

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Shockwave deck fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:13 PM
dabo12367

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave deck fasteners

Hello, I recently purchased a Shockwave 55 SS. I have started it but it has never seen water and is too big for fine tuning in the tub. I have read many posts about this boat, the majority seeming to condemn it. I hope I have better luck than the people who purchased this boat and immediately had something go wrong. This is my first gas boat and I am looking foward to test it out.
My reason for this post is about how the engine access deck is fastened to the top of the boat. It fits in a slot up foward and the back is scewed down by 2 "canopy mounting nuts" located in the back corners. This design is unacceptable for a $1000 boat. Imagine having to start the engine, grap the deck and hold it in place, Find the canopy mounting screws and screw them down tight and hope they don't vibrate loose (I know they will) and then place the boat in the water and hope the motor doesn't stall during warm-up. Anybody have this problem? Any ideas on how to keep the nuts tied to the canopy? Anybody know of a type of fastener similar to a spring loaded toggle bolt that are used in ceilings? I would really appreciate any input on this inevitable problem. I would be p***** off if I lost a canopy due to this joke of a set up. Thank you, David Barclay
Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM
BUDMAN27

Default RE: Shockwave deck fasteners

Ya I can see what you are saying. On my older modle Shock Wave I don,t have a canapy Its just open to the air. I like it that way so it will not over heat. I do have a water cooled head and pipe and header. but I think its cool to run without to top. Oh well do what ever you want your going to do it anyway as my late uncle would say.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
wayneuk

how about some ptfe tape it may stop them coming lose and is not going to be a pain when it comes to undoing them like thead lock would be to restart . whatever u get someone allways has something negative to say about it but on the other hand theres normly positive comments also .As long as your happy with it who cares! did u view the boat before u handed over your cash!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run mine without the top,I think that srew down set-up is kinda lame,I assume your still running the clutch which leads to the urge of letting it sit and idle while you admire it going nowhere lol,but in doing so heat will build up somewhere=not a good thing,keep it running and running fast............without the top............[:-]
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 PM
firefox144

You can try some of these.

[link=http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/catalogue.aspx?ProductType=72hardware&store=mhzusa]MHZUSA[/link]
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 PM
dabo12367

Great Idea Firefox, I'm going to look into these. I knew someone could point me into the right direction. Thanks, David
Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 PM
firefox144

Welcome
Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for eveyone else's benefit from the pm i sent you,you can use bolts threaded from the fastener side up and use wingnuts,a piece of fuel tubing over the threads will prevent them from backing off....
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM
dabo12367

Hello, No I only saw it on the web and on the Horzon Hobby magazine I periodically receive. I was impressed with what I saw so I bought it. Overall, I am happy with the boat but I can see room for improvement. If the hull was reinforced and the Zenoah engine tuned a bit, this boat could be a really good starter/intermediate boat. But, on the other hand, since I am new to gas boats, I don't want to get in over my head, I need experience with these boats, they are different fron the nitros and fast electrics I used to run. David.