Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Wiring help??? 4.8 Volt. Vs. 6 Volt.....

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Wiring help??? 4.8 Volt. Vs. 6 Volt.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Lakefrontlivin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help??? 4.8 Volt. Vs. 6 Volt.....

Was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to supply a true 6 volts to my steering servos. I have a dual servo setup on a "Y" harness and then plugged into receiver.. I thought this only gave the servos 4.8 volts this way. ??
I have a 6 volt battery pack powering my servos.. Do I need another "Y" Harness?? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanx, Tom H>
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Wiring help??? 4.8 Volt. Vs. 6 Volt.....

Hey Tom

you could try this if your receiver only puts out 4.8 volts.

Some hitec servo s eg 805bb require this set up depending on receiver type it does state if its a non b.e.c type then its ok to plug directly into the receiver would there be any advantage to using a y lead on a non b.e.c type receiver

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14352.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	677145  
Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
patriktegelberg

To the best of my knowledge it is receiver dependent. I take it you can not measure the voltage? You can use another Y-cable also for your double servo setup. It have been argued to be the way to go regardless of if one have BEC receiver or not. Some receivers give true 6 volt to the servos even without Y-cable. I have no way of knowing what receiver you are running.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ours is not to reason Y .
Old 05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Lakefrontlivin

Hi ,
The receiver is a JR R330S 3 channel SPCM receiver.. I thought most receivers would limit the voltage out to 4.8 volts.. Wondering if I could bypass that..?? Right now I have one channel for the throttle, one channel with a Y for the steering to two servos and one channel for my Volt Watch..
Thanx, Tom H.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Lakefrontlivin

OK, Just talked to tech support and they said the receiver is not limiting the voltage being put out through the channels.. Whatever battery voltage I'm using will determine the voltage being put out.. OK.. Another question.. How do I measure the voltage being put out through each channel?
Thanx, Tom
Old 05-03-2007, 05:00 PM
patriktegelberg

Do you have a voltmeter. All the channels will have pretty much the same voltage. Red cable is postive, black negative.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Lakefrontlivin

Thanx,
Just checked another website and had conflicting information on receivers limiting the voltage being put out...
My voltmeter needa a battery.. LOL
Haven't bought a replacement yet..
Check this out..
http://66.64.192.120/showthread.php?....8+volts+vs.+6
Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Flabum

The voltage feeding your servos is dependant on your reciever as you already know. Even if the reciever puts out 6 volts statically (on your bench) when the servos are under real world pressure, there will be a voltage drop. Since you are running two servos, the voltage drop will be higher than with one. The best way to hook up your servos is to use one y harness to hook them together and another to hook the battery, servos and reciever together. This way, you have a direct path from the battery to the servo without going thru the reciever. So, the second y harness will hook to the remaining lead on the servo y-harness, to the battery and to the steering channel on the radio.

I like this setup because you will have less voltage drop at the servos and radio and you don't put all the stressful amperage thru the reciever.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM
patriktegelberg

Yes, this has been debated here and there, to some length I might add . There are more aspects to this Y story than the BEC cirquit. If you did not read it, check back a few weeks for the "Why use a Y-harness" thread. If your receiver puts through 6 volt your biggest reason for a Y-cable is not there. But there are still advantages to be had with a Y-harness i.e. better wiring.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:57 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: Flabum

The voltage feeding your servos is dependant on your reciever as you already know. Even if the reciever puts out 6 volts statically (on your bench) when the servos are under real world pressure, there will be a voltage drop. Since you are running two servos, the voltage drop will be higher than with one. The best way to hook up your servos is to use one y harness to hook them together and another to hook the battery, servos and reciever together. This way, you have a direct path from the battery to the servo without going thru the reciever. So, the second y harness will hook to the remaining lead on the servo y-harness, to the battery and to the steering channel on the radio.

I like this setup because you will have less voltage drop at the servos and radio and you don't put all the stressful amperage thru the reciever.
exactly what he said...you will need 2 y harnesses and a strong battery pack to get that s6 to turn
Old 05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Flabum

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5756228/tm.htm
Old 05-03-2007, 08:17 PM
MrMikeG

Tom, I would start soldering those connectors together or get someone like Raj to make a custom harness for you, all those slide connectors are an accident waiting to happen.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Lakefrontlivin

Hi all,
Ended up using two "Y" harnesses for both steering servos. Worked like a charm
No problems with the steering now under full throttle !!! Boat is really flying now. Nedd to get a couple of more tanks through it and then do some GPS 'ing. I'm guessing mid 50's. Now I'm thinking of putting a seperate battery pack for each steering servo... Would that work? Later, Tom H.
Also to mike's suggestion.. I use tie-wraps on all the connections to keep them together and nygel them also...
Old 05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
xxxboatworks

Tom,
You can also run a smaller pack to your receiver and run a larger (I've run 7.2 v packs) to just the servos.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:24 PM
patriktegelberg

Yes it would work, use another Y. But did not the steering work fine as is? I think Mikes suggestion of custom wiring and a good battery pack is the best solution if you want to go further.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Flabum

The idea of seperate battery packs for the steering is because the twin servo setup will take a lot of power and drain down the battery quickly. Two packs at least give you more run time and limits the voltage drop. To use a pack just for the steering, you will need to clip the red wire before it goes into the reciever from the steering servo y-harness. Leave the ground and signal wire intact. That way, the pack running the radio is not drawn down with the steering pack.

edit:
the throttle servo will stay on the reciever battery (just leave it hooked up normally) so the fail safe works when the reciever battery dies.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Lakefrontlivin

thanx Raj.
I have a 6v. 5 cell 2500mah pack now I'll use just for the steering servos and put in a smaller 6v. 1400 mah hump pack for the receiver.. Do I have to snip the red wire coming from the steering to the receiver?? Thanx, Tom
This GTX really flys.... Only have the 2919/3 prop on it now for break in.
I think the cutdown 8015/3 will be faster
Tom
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
NASAFAN101

Guys,
i'm getting two 6volt 4.5Ah batteries so can you use a Y-harness? The Reason I'm asking is Ihave an LST! But the guy i got her from, Ran both drive motors and her radio system in the ship with the same 6v battery. so what do you guys thing?
Nikki