Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Is Outboard Oil not the ticket?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Is Outboard Oil not the ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Ovrkil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Outboard Oil not the ticket?

Hello, I read in one of the posts that you shouldn't use 2 cycle outboard oil.[X(] The part that wasn't answered is why? I just bought some Amsoil synthetic outboard oil(before I read that post) and now I am wondering whether to use it or not? Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:46 AM
xxxboatworks

Default RE: Is Outboard Oil not the ticket?

Nope, you can't use 2 cycle outboard oil. You have to use "2 stroke premix". Many of the 2 stoke outboard oils are designed for engines with oil injection. They were not designed to mix with gasoiline.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Ovrkil

XXX, I just went on read the container, it says for use in OB's, atv's, sleds, injection, efi, and carbs. Not that I do not believe you but why? Does it not mix with the gas well? Thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 11:55 AM
JFACKY

Is it 2 cycle outboard oil? (not gear oil or 4 cycle outboard oil.) If it is then you can use it, if you know how much to mix in with the fuel. the only differance is that most outboards today use a pump to meter the right amount of oil into the fuel before it goes into the carbs. or injectors (fuel injected). The oil still does the job of lubricating the 2 cycle engine's internals. I know bvecause I have an outboard with oil injection and still use the same oil that I use in my 2 cycle lawn equipment.( premixed into the fuel)
Old 05-27-2007, 11:59 AM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: Ovrkil

XXX, I just went on read the container, it says for use in OB's, atv's, sleds, injection, efi, and carbs. Not that I do not believe you but why? Does it not mix with the gas well? Thanks
If jfacky had done it, then I guess it will work. I have just not risked trying it before in my 2 strokes. The 2 stroke injection oil I used in my Seadoo clearly states that it should not be used as a "gas/oil" mix. You may want to call Amsoil and see what they suggest.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:11 PM
JFACKY

I use KLOTZ 2 cycle synthetic and have had no problems with it but it does say good for all types 2 strokes. premix and injected.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:26 PM
TIA

Common sense says if its a weed wacker type engine, then use the oil made for the high revving weed wacker type engines.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:47 PM
wayneuk01

This may help u out
[link=http://whobbies.com/engine-oil-news.htm]whh oil info[/link]
Old 05-27-2007, 03:39 PM
dwr9

I use Amsoil Saber in my Zenoah. Works great. Doug
Old 05-27-2007, 04:01 PM
soundguykaraoke50

I HAVE BEEN USING CASTROIL GTX SYNTHETIC 2 STROKE OUTBOARD OIL FOR OVER THREE YEARS NOW.I HAVE NEVER BLOWN UP AN ENGINE.8 OUNCES PER GALLON AFTER THE BREAK IN RUNS.DURING THE BREAK IN RUNS I USE THE SAME OIL BUT I USE 10-12 OUNCES PER GALLON.I RUN MY BOATS ALMOS EVERY DAY (WEATHER PERMITING)I DONT THINK THAT IT MATTERS AS LONG AS THE OIL SAYS 2 STROKE.DONT HOLD ME TO THIS BUT I THINK THAT THE GTX SYNTHETIC IS A GOOD OIL.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Flabum

Outboard oil is designed to run in two cycle engines that run at about 150* or so. The bottle it comes in will have a TC-W3 designation on it meaning Two Cycle _ Watercooled (3 is the version). If you were to use it in your weedy or Sikk or Zen, you have a chance of scoring the pistons and cylinders. These engines run hotter than what the TC-W3 is rated for. Synthetics might work, but I won't take that chance, stick with the Amsoil.

Sorry to dispute you XXX, but only some outboars oils will not mix well with gas but a majority of them will.

P.S. here is an article from Tony at WHH: http://whobbies.com/engine-oil-news.htm
Old 05-27-2007, 09:29 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to expand our learning curve here a tad more gents,what about using penzoil 2cyc. air-cooled oil in a watercooled,mild-modded zen...........[:-]
Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Ed Sidders
My Feedback: (2)

Amzoil makes several types of outboard oils ----- one is for premix applications -------- one for oil injection applications--------- the injector type oil is NOT designed for premix applications.I would thimk that it doesn't have the additives so that it would mix well with gasoline and stay suspended in the mixture. Amzoil recommended their Saber Pro 100:1 oil for Zenoah boat motors --- I mix it at their recommended 100:1 ratio for CHAIN SAW and WEEDEATER applications. ---------I mix it at 8 OZ. per GALLON ( USA measurement) for my CC Racing Pro Mod Zen 260 . NO oil related problems,just more power and less smoke
Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Ovrkil

I think that I have all the info I need. I would like to take this time to thank you all for your input. Thank you, that helped me out very much. Moe
Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
pyro1

Treat your motor right and use the oil recommended by the pros that mod these motors( Zens.,
Quickdraws and so on. Its not rocket science.