Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

For all who want to make their own mold...

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

For all who want to make their own mold...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: For all who want to make their own mold...

Ok - So hull #1 is a test run. [:'(] Way too thin. Way too flimsy. Thinking double the glass on #2. It all came out ok but just too thin. The variation in gelcoat thickness did not help the finish consistency but as far as using a brush - it looks fine from the outside - just not the ideal technique.. I see a compressor and spray gun in my future.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
edmkills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way too thin. Way too flimsy. Thinking double the glass on #2. It all came out ok but just too thin.
Hey Matt sounds like you should be working for Proboat
Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Justaddwata

no, not yet - this is not that thin
I am thinking of finishing that hull as a planter for the yard though
Old 07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Thin water

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justaddwata, 10 oz cloth with an ideal ratio of 50/50 resin to glass will yield a thickness of .017 inches per ply. Many of the light weight boats use a single thickness of 1 1/2 oz mat with a 30/70 glass to resin ratio (mat has a higher resin content ratio when done). This gives a thickness of .045 inches for one layer.

In my 72 inch boat I used a layer of 1 1/2 oz (.045"), a layer of 3/4 oz (.023") then one layer of what is probably 7 oz cloth (.013") for a total thicknes of .081". I like one layer of 1 1/2 oz and one layer of 3/4 oz mat on 47" to 54" boats. The cloth you are using is stronger than mat if you get it to the same thicknes.

Your 10 oz cloth will weigh .14 lbs per square foot wetted out at 50/50 ratio per layer. You can use this number to reverse engeneer how thick to make your boat by weighing one already done.

You can add tint to the resin to match the gel coat (or close) and you won't be able to see through the gel coats thin spots in the sun or strong light. It makes it harder to see bubbles in the glass.

Keep going, it is good to know I am not the only one trying to make fiberglass stuff. Models are much harder to get right comparred to bigger boats.

JIM
Old 07-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Justaddwata

Many thanks for the tips. Not trying to take over your post. Thinking I may have been a little too effective at removing excess resin.