Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

prather 275/280 ss props?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

prather 275/280 ss props?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM
jmbraychy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prather 275/280 ss props?

does anyone know where i can find them or is there a good substitute i have a 46 super-g hull and a home-lite 30cc motor. i have tried the octura- x572- x575- x482 the motor will push all of them to top rpm. i am using tha xp 2 surface drive. can i use a 3 or 4 blade and get more speed the boat runs at 27mph with the 572===29mph with the 575====and 31 with the 482 the motor has so much torque that the boat will list to the right under full power. is there anything that i can do to fix this as the boat is hard to turn right without spinning out left hand turns are great. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: prather 275/280 ss props?

heres a link to the p 280 good prop i have one on my weedy powered boat runs over 35 mph with stock can muffler and walbro carb.they dont have the 275 in stock but they might get more in.
[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-NEW-PRATHER-PROPELLER-S-280-PROP-STAINLESS-STEEL_W0QQitemZ6015817198QQihZ009QQcategoryZ34058Q QtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
hdking46

i have a 280 2 blade balanced and sharpened from tony at WWH. email me at [email protected] $30 shipped to you in ocala. i used it on a WWH manta ray......
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Darkseacret

try calling warehouse hobbies for your prop needs i beleave he has the orginal castings from prather? i got a 75mm for my 30cc homie 51" hull and it is a hugh improvement over the 282 i was running , try a set of trim tabs for the torqe roll sometimes a dull prop will exagerate a roll, i swear i had the same problems tabs and new prop made a bid diffrence also a single rudder will pull hull slightly mabye try dual rudders or dial in some trim from trans
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
martno1fan

forget trim tabs for torque roll far better off set the prop to the right ,if you dont want to redrill and move things over then try shimming the strut to make the prop angle to the left a tad.this will overcome the prop walk if you have any.280 prop will be better on a weedy than a 275 as a weedy doesnt have high rpm so make use of what it does have which is a little torque to swing a bigger prop.you can also stop the roll by adding weight to the left of the hull level with the motor this way your balance will stay about right but you will overcome the leaning to the right.i shimmed my strut and added a bit of stick on lead to the left and it stopped the roll.the tabs will not help prop walk the outer tabs only work in turns and the inner tabs only adjust the ride of the hull up and down.making it run wet or loose!!.if youn want to read about setting up a mono and all about tabs and prop walk send me your email i have a word document out of a book by john finch it makes very usefull reading.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
jmbraychy

thanks for the info guys. i have trim tabs and the prop shaft was installed 1/8 to the right to off set the torque of the motor when i set it up. martin is right about the tabs not having any control over the roll problem. the motor is a water cooled home-lite 30cc out of a prather fun cruiser that had a submerged drive on it. that boat did not have a torque problem at all. the only 2 things that are different is the [1] water-cooled pipe will not fit in the new hull and the [2] xp2 surface drive. until i can find a pipe to fit or a new header-pipe i have been using a silicon 3/4 inch coupler about 12 inches long for a pipe. i don't know what the top rpm is now or what it was before but prop size does not seam to alter the rpm at wot. bigger the prop the more the boat wants to spin out in right hand turns but the better the speed. darksecret the tabs have no effect on adjusting the roll and most of my props can slice bread and the rudder runs with a lot of trim to the left more than an 1/8 inch.
i called wwh and they do not have the molds from prather they are waiting just like the rest of us for the new guy that bought prather out to get things going. martin my e-mail is [email protected] any help is greatly appreciated thanks very much guys. hdking sent you a e-mail.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 AM
martno1fan

Hi mate try raising the strut on the boat so theres less prop in the water, keep it the same angle just raise the whole strut asuming thats what you have? less prop in the water the less prop walk. It shouldnt affect speed too much,it might even increase it.Seems like youve tried most things allready,also try adding the weight to left of the engine to counter the roll it works just keep adding a little at a time till it stops then fix the weight in place.Mine ran the same till i tried all the things ive told you to do now it runs straight and true.by the way just emailed that setup document.One thing i thought about you say the prop is set to the right yea? but is the prop then angled to the left to bring it central to the hull? thats what needs to be done this angle to the left is what stops prop walk.the prop will be central to the hull just angled to the left.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
jmbraychy

thanks martin i got the file today good reading. i will try to twist the angle of the strut by shimming it on the transom. then try the weights if that will not fix it. the strut is about as high as i can go with it now. it rides good just leans bad. as soon as you back off the throttle it rides flat and true. if nothing else works homey goes in the woody and a wwh pro mod 260 zen will go in this boat...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 PM
duckscrubber

Do you still have this prop for sale? if so what size drive does it fit 3/16 or 1/4?