Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Your ultimate boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Your ultimate boat

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:25 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your ultimate boat

Hey guys,

I''m looking at building my first boat this winter. I was an avid giant scale airplane modler building and flying WWII birds for years but recently lost interest with it and finally gave it up. I have tried R/C boats and cars this summer and have enjoyed the boat so far and I'm considering building something that will be a thrill.

My first interest is speed, I would like to know if there's something around the 70 MPH mark (or faster). 2nd is size and I hope there's something over 55" available in a vee or cat hull with these speeds. Last is obviously gasoline power selection and performance. I could use some good advise on what to consider including hardware and servo set up. 2k to 3k is in the budget. Any advise and experience is greatly appreciated.

Carey
Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Your ultimate boat

Looking for something large and fast is not a very easy combination. Speed needs lots of stability and power. Size needs lots of power just to go. Looking for something that size to safely run those speeds is not realistically within your budget.

There are plenty of boats 50-60" that will be able to run 50. On your budget you might see 60. But 70 is not an easy number to come by in Gas RC boating.

For a big bang for the buck boat I would consider a hull like the 65" GTX from Expresscraft and an Inline zenoah with a surface drive. It will be capable within your budget and speeds over 60 should be achievable. If you work at it and a few tweaks you may see her faster yet. There are several threads going with GTX builds and inline Zenoahs.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 AM
WATER_BUGG

Here are a few links below, all of them carry hulls above the 55" mark you requested. You'll find that JUSTA is coorect in what he is telling you. I am currently building my first boat a "Expresscraft GTX". Without JUSTA and RAJ, and a few others guys I would have wasted alot of good money.

http://expresscraft.com/
http://www.bonzisports.com/
http://www.aeromarinerc.com/
http://xxxboatworks.com/
Old 08-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Believe It
Banned

www.sonicracingaustralia.com [8D]
Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Looking for something large and fast is not a very easy combination. Speed needs lots of stability and power. Size needs lots of power just to go. Looking for something that size to safely run those speeds is not realistically within your budget.

There are plenty of boats 50-60" that will be able to run 50. On your budget you might see 60. But 70 is not an easy number to come by in Gas RC boating.

For a big bang for the buck boat I would consider a hull like the 65" GTX from Expresscraft and an Inline zenoah with a surface drive. It will be capable within your budget and speeds over 60 should be achievable. If you work at it and a few tweaks you may see her faster yet. There are several threads going with GTX builds and inline Zenoahs.
Matt Justaddwata and Raj ( XXXBoatworks ) told me about the Expresscraft GTX, so I now have one with inlines.
I must say it's big and fast as I was told it would be .

If you like the GTX just contact XXXBoatworks, he can help you out.

check out the posts
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6152238/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#5060388
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#5635479

Steve

Old 08-12-2007, 07:32 PM
CaptainHook

Thanks for everyones input. I have some thinking to do now that I have some feedback and sites to look at. 70 MPH is out the door unless I want to take on the additional costs of divorce... The GTX sure is sweet, but I would think that would put me over the 3k with that inline. Would a quickdraw put out the same for less? I like what I see on the Bonzi site, specifically the 54" and 64"Fountains.

Carey
Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Justaddwata

the inline Zenoah is more hp and more torque than a QD35 and less $$ (by about $500). The inline will turn a bigger prop at more RPM.

It is shaping up to be the motor to beat for bigger boat builds.

I had plenty of power options when repowering a [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/266m105fountainakacanoerepower?n=0&z=4&c=2&x=0&m=14&w=0&p=0]96" fountain but am going with a pair of inlines[/link]. I think they will be tough to beat on any budget
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 PM
CaptainHook

WOW, that Fountain is beautiful! I sent Raj a PM about the GTX to figure out where I stand. I have one last model plane to sell and if I can get off that this will easy to fund.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Flabum

Wow JAW, that sure is a busy looking transom
Old 08-13-2007, 01:15 AM
TIA

Not a V or cat but, of coarse a rigger like the one at the bottom of this [link=http://www.redlinemotors.us/forsale/4519957429]page[/link] will do 70+++ all day long, just keep filling it with gas!

BTW, have you seen a boat do 70+? It's pretty darn fast!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM
CaptainHook

I Spoke with RAJ at XXX and he was great to talk to, but only offers a building service. Bonzi only offers RTR unless you want to pay extra (go figure). Expresscraft (Paul) is almost impossible to get a hold of with no email replies, but we did play phone tag today. I also got a hold of WHH and they were a big help too, but nothing with good speed on a 50"+ hull. Aeromarine was a continuous busy signal by phone, so I sent an email tonight. [:@]

I never realized this would be so much work to figure out, so I hope you guy's can offer some information up. The GTX is high on my priority list and I want to build this myself (no exceptions for RTR). Bonzi is out do to there RTR only, nice boats but... I'll give Aeromarine Apache 56 (2nd on my list) a shot if I can contact them and get a reply. This is what I really need to know.

Hull cost
Inline twin or as close in perfomance single cylinder cost
Hardware required and cost
Exhaust selection and costs

My biggest problem being a novice boat modeler is knowing if I have selected all the components needed to build this myself, and if everything is compatible from one and/or engine and hull to the others.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Justaddwata

I would say the GTX is my #1 with the 56" apache a close second. Both will accomodate the inline. Next step down from an inline zenoah would be a modified single Zenoah.
For pipes you might look at the oneillbrothers.com site as they have a good selection. If you need motors and pipes then consider getting them from Raj when you order the hull. I am sure he will look after you with price (if he is still offering components). I believe he has a new generation inline setup coming. Mk5 from what I have heard.

When it comes to mounts and hardware I think you will find most drives and rudders will work with either hull.

I called Bonzi a week or two ago regarding ordering some components for one of their motors. They were unwilling to supply me parts or even discribe the parts I was asking about - some "proprietary information" which amazed me.

Keep the questions coming. Should be a good build
Old 08-24-2007, 08:11 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

I would say the GTX is my #1 with the 56" apache a close second. Both will accomodate the inline. Next step down from an inline zenoah would be a modified single Zenoah.
As Matt said, either boat will hold the inline, but I would not recommend trying to put the inline in the 56" apache. I've done it before, but it takes some skill (and a shoe horn) to get it in there. "Sknro5" on RCU has the boat and maybe he will chime in. All the components will fit, but there is very little room to work with.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

XXXboatworks and Justaddwata are right , inlines are tight fit in a 57" hull. I built a Areomarine Signature 57 over last winter .
I lot of work went into fitting inlines with a clutch to the hull , there was no room for a standard radio box. all most everything was custom made .

Even the 60" MTI hull was a tight fit, but it will fit with a clutch with a little work.

Inlines need a big hull like the GTX, inlines fit like they were made for GTX the hull.

picture 1 GTX with inlines
picture 2 MTI
picture 3 Signature 57

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15272.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	748920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62761.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	748921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21481.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	748922  
Old 08-25-2007, 08:38 PM
CaptainHook

Thanks guys,

I've made a decision to go with the Aeromarine Apache 56 with a mod 260. I've been reading all day here and have read nothing but good on the Apache. Been reading about engines as well and I think I'll look at Toxic and I hope I can get over 50MPH with this hull engine set up. Is it possible to get speeds over 50 and is it stable by reaching it?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
SS RC Boats

Hi Captain Hook,just to give you a little more info on the Aeromarine Apache hulls,I have had many of the hulls and to be honest the 56" was not the best.If you really like the Apache hulls then i would say to go with the 50" hull.I had one back in 96' with a Mathe 35cc and ran 58-60mph all day and when on the edge i have got it into the mid 60's(all speeds recorded by radar).