Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

The new hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

The new hull

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
patriktegelberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vacuum moulding the new hull

Hack sawa sawa sawa and fila fila fila (sounds understandable to me, it is Swenglish). I do not have to go to the gym the hardware making days [:'(]. I have now strayed well away from the beaten track. How in the world will this end .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22390.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	790352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35664.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	790353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90521.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	790354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27846.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	790355  
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 PM
glennb2006

From photo 1 to photo 3 a lot of "Hack sawa sawa sawa and fila fila fila" has taken place, what happened to your use of the NC milling machine? That would have come in handy.

You really are not afraid to try new things are you? It's a little difficult to tell but are the props counter rotating?

Are you making the gearbox as well, or are you going to buy one in? Has the engine run yet Patrik?

I am still trying to grasp an understanding of why the high mounted reverse rotation flywheel - any guesses from anyone out there for that mystery?

As always, stunning looking work.

You really are going to have to get a job one day you know Patrik.

Glenn
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM
patriktegelberg

I only borrow the machine and feel I do not want to bother the owners and wear my luck out on trivial machining like crude hardware.

Props are counter rotating. Engine will not run before the boat is done. Yes I make the gearbox, it is already made and mounted as seen in pic four. You saw it as you commented on the flywheel. Why in the world did I do something as weird as that [X(].

I am waiting for a job to find me and occasionally even searching a little for a job to.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
glennb2006

Ah, so you are taking drive off the crank and the flwheel? Now I see, I was looking for a more conventional (don't know why!) splitter type of gearbox, with all the losses etc associated with the same...

I should have known better.

I look forward to continued updates on the project completion, and now, to bed!!

Glenn
Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 PM
glennb2006

Patrik,

I meant to ask you, Frigolit, it seems to be a Scandinavian product, I searched it on the web and came across only Scandic pages, which, I am ashamed to say, I can understand less than 10% of.

Is it a high density insulation material board?

If so, I think I know of an equivalent we have here.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 PM
patriktegelberg

Yes it is among other things used as flotation and insulation. I did not know the English word for it so I took a chance that it would be the same but it was apparently not. It is some white cellfoamy stuff and it is really very low density but I used a slightly denser grade. What is the english word for it?

Edited: Darn misspelled again. The Swedish words for insulation and isolation are the same (isolering) so I write isolation all the time and do not see it until to late.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
glennb2006

The stuff I was thinking of, and this is a trade product name, is Kingspan. It is a polyeurothane product.

http://www.buildingsuppliesrus.co.uk...guid=&b=&guid=

Looks similar? Guess your stuff will come in much thincker slabs? Our largest is 100mm. Guessing two could be bonded then machined for plug making.

The other product which I thought might be good, though harder to work is MDF. Nice and rigid.

Glenn
Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 PM
patriktegelberg

I think it is styrofoam.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0UoQ9aebrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0UoQ9aebrs[/link]
Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
glennb2006

I think you are correct. Nice machine Patrik, we all should have one in the shed!!

But I thinnk you said it in an earlier posting, the execution of the hull, whilst important, is only a functional process whilst the design is the key factor. I am sure you have done much work on your design.

Nice SV650 by the way on you other You Tube videos - I've an R1. Bikes and boats seem to go together eh?

Glenn
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 PM
patriktegelberg

Bike is not mine. I was just hired to find out what was wrong with it, did and got free china food as salary . Also got to test drive it, I am (was) an adept motocrosser. I like how I sound like the bike before take off. Boooobaaa.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 PM
BB Modss

I just sprung a leak, Why do you get all the cool toys...I think your being unjustly unfair and should be forced into the production of your nothing less then stellar products!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
patriktegelberg

Sprung a leak, while I have not heard that expression before it totaly get it and am as always very flattered by BB Modss very very powerfull compliments. But also Thanks a million to all members who have all been nice, polite and encouraging.

Sprung a leak, unfairly cool, stellar, I am blushing.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 AM
w3bby

ORIGINAL: glennb2006
Frigolit, it seems to be a Scandinavian product.....
[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene]Polystyrene[/link], Glenn, expanded (EPS), as in big white bubbles or extruded (XPS), tighter structure in blue, pink or green (that I know of, different manufacturers). We can get both in different densities depending on what you are going to do with it. The XPS is better for routing as it leaves a finer surface.
We use it for large hot-wire cut lightweight, signage letters (among other things), modelling-wise I also use it to make small forms for such things as NACA ducts as it can be sawn and sanded to a fine surface.

Patrik, an engineering masterpiece, who knows, I may get around to seeing this in person next year.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:42 AM
patriktegelberg

You very well may, If it runs ok I´ll be at the offshore races and Italy/Leno and it would be nice to visit the Norweigans. All said without making any promises.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM
drlsanchez

Very interesting, I have been reading this posted thread.
But my "forte" is on gas engines and NAMBA type of RC boats.
www.namba.com

I do not want to spend on two propellers and I need the boats I construct and sell to be as competitive as possible using existing NAMBA rules with respect to RC Boats ingineering / dimentions, etc... Otherwise we are not able to race the boat in question withouth stiking to stablished rules.
So, my friend, you are a genious, but I can not buy this boat with two propellers, when you put the hull to sell. As a toy boat you may find a market.
Keep on with this excellent work. Looks great...
Luis
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 AM
patriktegelberg

Yeah, sure, I am building for the toy boat market.

Hypothetically, if I were building this boat for you, what would be the obstacle.
1) Does it not comply to Namba rules?
2) Is there an issue about the dual props you dislike?
3) is it obviously non competitive.
4) something else
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM
drlsanchez

The boat looks great, and for anyone that is in research of fast mono hulls and hardware engineering, I believe it is great!
But those of us who compete with RC Boats pertain to one or another of the main RC Racing Boats organizations.
NAMBA happens to be the most recognised / respected of the RC Boats Racing organizations. We even have NAMBA divisions around U.S. depending on the State you are a resident. Even in Puerto Rico. NAMBA has a close relationship with the main European RC Boats Racing organizations. All major sponsors, RC racing boat makers, hardware makers, sponsor in a way or another the NAMBA divisions and/or the main event races.
Please go to the www.namba.com website and download the manual of RULES. There you will find all info with respect to :mono, hydro, Catamarans hulls specifications, in order to use the boats to race after meeting their rules.
Please do not take this comments as negative, by the contrary, I like to see advances in our professional hobbie. This will lead into the creation of bigger effective hulls and different scale models. This is meant to be a constructive observation; if you plan to sell this hull and hardware to RC BOAT Racing afficionates like me.
Good luck and keep up with your great work.
Luis.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
BB Modss

Patrik My father has a house in Sicily, I might be able to come to one of the Italian races next year if you go again!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM
patriktegelberg

I read the Namba rules, nothing at all on props there. The cut out (which is optional) could maybe be in conflict with hull rules. So without marketing Namba could you tell me what the flaw you are implying is. What is your "constructive observation", I find you imply that it is non competitive and rule breaking.

I do not take the comments negative but it bothers me that I do not understand what you are trying to say. Be blunt if you need to and speak up.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
patriktegelberg

If I go to italy it will be to the world champs in august some time. If.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM
DaveMarles

Luis,
I think you will find that NAMBA is a USA organisation and as such is nothing to do with European racing which is governed by Naviga. Naviga is a worldwide organisation and has thousands of members from all over the world (including a few from the USA). Naviga rules regarding mono's are less restrictive than NAMBA rules which means more radical hull development is likely (thats not a criticism of NAMBA only an observation) and so Patrik's boat would certainly be legal in their competitions.

Patrik, Sorry to hijack your thread but I thought I would just mention that. I will be racing all mono classes at the World Champs in Italy and so perhaps we meet there.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM
drlsanchez

A good observation from the above answers about NAMBA. but please observe that at no time I am mentioning that your hull is restricted under NAMBA. Since it is your hull and you are to be selling the same, I can not look for your bussiness future interests, including measurements, dimentions and specifications that you have made on this hull. I am just trying to help you and mentioning a possible restriction in the US from the bussiness point of view. Please direct yourself to ask questions with someone in NAMBA. I am just one of its members in US.
It is great to see that there are no restrictions in Europe, according to the above answer on this threads from a credible source; well known in this bussiness in England.
I just mentioned that if you are intending to sell this hull for RC Boating competition in US, it will be a wise desicion to make sure it meets the NAMBA specifications. I guess that from the bussiness point of view, you may be in great shape to sell this hull in Europe, and in the US.
No need to mention anything else negative. Again, a constructive criticism.
I will follow this thread and wish for you a great success in your project. Who knows, I may be one of your future customers!
Kind regards.
Luis Sanchez.
Orlando, FL
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
patriktegelberg

Dave, Your posting is contributing, far from hijacking. Hope to meet you in Italy then.

Luis, As pointed out it is primarily to be Naviga legal. But surely it would be Namba legal if I made one without the cut-out? Also I am not primarily building this to sell, I am totaly free to indulge only my own warped desires. That said It is not entirely unlikely that a few could hit the toy boating market.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:58 PM
patriktegelberg

So, in lack of better things to do I may just as well post some pics of how the deck is coming along. The poll ended I believe tied so I got the deciding vote and am happy I went this way. I claim good looking boats run better.

Note, the sides will be cut away.

Name:	Lj21742.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	791629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27609.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	791630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23971.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	791631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12564.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	791632  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
patriktegelberg

Oh goody, look what just arrived. One need boosting the motivation and inspiration by geting some brand new bought stuff. I friend of mine said as an excuse for not geting a new boat built "All my stuff is old, I need to buy some new gears to inspire me". When the going gets tough the shopoholic gets going.

Name:	Ec88461.jpg
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	793574  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.