Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

easy vee input needed!

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

easy vee input needed!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
motrcyclryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy vee input needed!

hey all, the names Ryan. new to the boat scene. im thinking about picking up an easy vee from zipkits. just wondering about the motor. I've seen plenty of options and cant decide which way to go. thinking about a homelite to keep cost down since im on a very limited budget. ( baby on the way, need something to keep my mind off things and keep me sane) maybe you guys can help. let me know what motors you've used with this boat and what you think about them i.e... power, speed, ease, reliability. also any part recomendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: easy vee input needed!

Hi Ryan welcome to the forum,you picked a good project the easy vee is a good boat by all accounts,as for motor a homelite will give you reasonable performance 30 mph maybe a touch more .I built a deep vee similar to the easy vee and i ran a 28 cc weedy motor in it(still do) speed is not bad at all at over 30 mph with the stock can muffler.I say go for it and keep us informed on the build.heres my build thread have a read through it .
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5452887/anchors_5452887/mpage_1/key_DEEP%252CVEE%252CMONO/anchor/tm.htm#5452887[/link]
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM
motrcyclryan

thanks. im a huge speed junkie. so im looking for fast but cheap. just wonderin what sppeds you can get out of the other motors like the zens, and if its that much of a diffence. i've been reading most of the posts on here and got a lot of great info. just looking for as much project specific as i can, being i know next to nothing about gas boats..lol. Im leaning towards the homelite, since i see em pretty cheap on ebay.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:09 PM
martno1fan

A zen will give you a nite and day difference over a weedy engine,a stock zenoah 260 gpum will push the easy vee to 50 mph id say with the right prop etc.If you can afford one then id say buy one,im currently building a new hull for a stock zen and just from starting this thing up i can see its going to be a big difference from my other boat.Im hoping to get it wet this weekend .
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
motrcyclryan

i just read through you post. nice boat. and wow! i didnt think there would be that big of difference between motors. 50mph sure sounds alot better then 30 +/-..lol.. maybe i'll just save for the zen. im takin my time anyway. snow will be here soon anyway. just figured it would be easier to have as much of the parts together as i can when building. also, what size rudder system should i think about for this boat. i looked at the parts list and it doesnt really say what size. I was really hoping to be able to find a "all in one type kit" that had the rudder, stinger, stuff tube..etc. but i guess i'll just have to do more researching to put a better parts lists together.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM
martno1fan

all you need is 1/4" flex cable 1/4" stainles steel shaft ,you can get them allready joined or use a ferrule to join them.the flex is soldered to the ferrule and the stainles shaft is held via 2 grub screws.you then need a flexhex coupler to join the flex to the motor.a 1/4" strut for the shaft to go through or a stinger drive.a brass stuffing tube 5/16" internal diameter a drive dog 1/4" a prop to fit say a prather 275 and a prop nut.rudder you can use an offset seperate rudder with water piccups in it for cooling the zen or an inline strudder setup.heres a pic of the strut setup i use.the rudder needs to be 5 or 6" long for a gas boat hope this helps mate.by the way a weedy motor is about 1 1/2 hp a stock zen is 4 +hp so thats where the extra speed comes from plus the rpm of a weedy is about 8,000 rpm and a zen is about 14 k
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64082.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	776418  
Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
motrcyclryan

i appreciate all the help. been looking most of the day at different motor set ups and outcomes as well as prices. basically i've decided to go with the zenoah 260. if im gonna spend the time and money on everything else might as well get a good power plant. i found a zen 260 on bonzisports.com for about $250 with minor upgrades and they have a drive kit as well. doesnt seem like abad deal. thanks for the rudder info... seen everything from 3-6 inches, jsut wasnt sure what worked. Im gonna order the hull kit tommarow, so i can get this thing underway. hopefully i'll have it done by spring. i'll keep up with pics of the build and what not as i go.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM
motrcyclryan

got another question though.... i have a radio/reciver/servo set from a helicopter that proved was not as easy to fly as i thought. ( first / last flight was about 5 seconds, but it was a spectactular crash!) just wondering if those servo are strong enough for this type of application. not really sure how strong they are or what torque rating or anything. i'm hopin that if they can manipulate a heli main blade's pitch , they should be able to hold up in the boat. they're out of a walkera dragonfly 4ch heli. im not hell bent on using them , just hoped to cut some costs. so if anyones got any insight id appreciate it.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ryan, check out Warehouse Hobbies as they have Zen's on sale right now for a hair under $200.00 shipped, the best deal that you're going to find on one right now.
As far as the servos go, a standard servo will work the throttle with no trouble but you're going to want one with at least 100 oz. in. of torque for the rudder.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:41 AM
motrcyclryan

thanks Ron. i checked out warehouse hobbies. i couldnt find a zen 260 for under $259. i did like some of the drive/rudder set ups they had. might go there for those of the stinger/top secret kits ive seen. anyways, good looking out. i appreciate it.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 AM
motrcyclryan

ok, i dedided im goin with new servos/reciever/radio. the heli set just isnt goin to work. so, heres my next question... how strong of servo do i need for the rudder? i've been reading the posts and got everything from 3kg-14kg torque... any ideas for a 46" mono, zenoah 260, and a 5in rudder? just ordered the hull kit today
Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Ron Olson

Look at the main page in the lower right side. They show the $199.00 price but show it plus shipping.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:54 AM
martno1fan

hi mate i use a high torque standard size servo for my rudder ,its rated between 13 and 16 kg of torque depending on voltage.allways go for 6 volts ,any standard servo will do for the throttle so one of your heli ones might do the job.you will need a surface radio and rx as air radios are elegal for use in surface aplications.as well as those two places for zens you can try oneil bros they also doa good deal on them too with free shipping i believe.also check out the sikk 27 cc motor on the same link these come complete with motor mounts and throttle linkages ,well worth the extra cash as mounts arent cheap.as for the motor i know a few guys who say they are awesome and will swing a big prop too .thats the 27 cc not the 25 cc which is not as good or so ive heard.
[link]http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rcboat/index.htm[/link]
Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 PM
motrcyclryan

thanks mart. jeeze... i thought id be in the clear when i figured out wich motor to go with, now im pilling up choices of what set up and where to get it. im back and forth between the bonzi sports set, and the oneil. Ron, i cant find the zen your talkin about at tower. i looked all over. anyway. they're all pretty close to the same price and set up. i found a 260 with the 257 carb instead of the 644 with mounts for about $289, just cant remember what site it was at....figures. but at least i think i've got a decent parts list to get me in the right direction. heres what i got so far.

46" deep vee (of course)
zenoah g260pum with the walb 257 carb.
quiet power tuned pipe ( with the 257 walb is supposed to push 4.2 hp...supposedly)
m-boat mounts ( relocates the coil and mounts motor lower )
stinger 1/4in adjustable drive
top secret 5in rudder with dual water pick ups
top secret dual trim tabs and turn fins
prop- still undecided. anyone play around with a few to find what works best?
still undecided about the radio/reciver/servos.
thats the plan . so far at least. now i just gotta buy it all.lol.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
motrcyclryan

I was just readin over the intructions for the hull kit. and it says not to use spray/expanding foam versus "noodles" or other foam. any particular reason???
Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Joe Petro

The expanding foam tends to expand for quite a while.
It can actually pop the deck off...
It also tends to be heavy, and not 100% waterproof over time.

Pool noodles are the way to go...

Joe Petro
Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Ron Olson

Did you go to www.whobbies.com ? It's not on Tower's website.
not only is the spray-in foam bad that way but it will also absorb water and fuel over time adding more weight. You'll find the pool noodles can be a lot cheaper.
I went to Dollar General just before the Gas Nat's and they had the pool noodles on sale for 37 cents each. I bought all that they had. You're going to need probably 3 of them.
If you're lucky, Meijer's, K-mart or Wal-mart may still have some as the season is pretty well over here for swimming. If you don't see any, ask somebody in the toy departments if they have any in the back room.
Roll bar padding for race cars would work also but more than likely, pricier.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:04 AM
motrcyclryan

thanks Ron. i'll check the site you listed. i went to tower hobbies. as for the spray foam, i wasnt plannin on using it. I figured if the plans said not to there must be a good reason. just wonderd why. good to know that they'll absorb water. i got roll bar paddin layin around from my old drag car, so i'll just put that to some use instead of taking up space in the basment. just realized your from k-zoo. got any clubs or races down there? im up in saginaw. and i know theres not much around here. all i know of is a sailboat club in bay city.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 AM
motrcyclryan

ok Ron, i finally found it. thats not a bad deal at all. but i got a question... ( like ya didnt see that coming) whats the advantages of runninf a clutch? i see the option there , but not sure if i need one. and, am i goin to need a water pump or will the pickups in the rudder pull enough water to cool the engine?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Ron Olson

There is a club in Saginaw and you missed a race last weekend! It's on the west side of town at the Conservation club. It's one of my favorite places to race at although I haven't been able to race the past few years. There's nothing special about the site but the club does know how to put on a race!
What you missed.......... http://www.putfile.com/bradi/images/150021
There is a shooting range off turn 1 so if you're jumpy, it makes it hard to drive there.
I'll see if I can locate a link to the club for you. The guys that run the club are good people.
BTW, you've got a good hobby shop there for boaters, I wish that my LHS's had the stock of boating parts that they do!
Contact Dean Notter or Charles Dukes there in town, they both know me.
[Edited for the second time]
You're in luck as the club is having their last day at the pond on Sunday! It's the Field and Stream Club on Gleaner Road about a mile west of M-52 (I think). Go to the north entrance, the second one. You'll see hte pond on the right after the big log cabin on the left.
Oh yeah, a link ot the club: http://saginawrcboats.wxpage1.com/
Old 10-06-2007, 02:13 AM
motrcyclryan

i'll be darned.. did know field and stream had a club out there. my dad used to be a member few years back, and was always out there shootin. guess i just never paid much attention to the pond. its definately convient though as i only live about 5-10 minutes away. as for the shop your talkin about.. you mean rogers? guess i'll have to check em out.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:20 AM
martno1fan

Hi again you dont need a pump the piccups will be enough ,if your using two piccups use one for the motor and the other one for the manifold and pipe.Just go in the manifold straight out into the pipe and out of the boat on that one,the motor is simple in the bottom and out the top then over the side of the boat.As for a clutch if its for sports use id say get one it makes life so much easier especially if you run alone etc,its also easier to tune the motor too.Just remember if you run a clutch dont sit at idle for more than a min if that or you will overheat the motor.lots of guys run a pump when they run a clutch but so long as you dont idle for long periods you dont need one.My new boat will be running a clutch and no pump,you also need to make sure you can cut the motor via the radio just in case you lose drive for whatever reason so the motor doesnt cook while your rescuing your boat .im taking my new boat out for a test run tomorrow so wish me luck .
Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM
stuarth

yo mart
dont forget some video!!!
stu
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
motrcyclryan

thanks Mart. as i look for parts i keep seeing other parts as options. its seems endless..lol. just tryin to get as much info on all these things as possible. I'm used to building high horse chevy motors, never messed with these little guys. i guess the clutch doesnt sound like a bad idea, for runnin alone. might read up on them a little more. finally got through your thread. got alot of good info from it. And I'm happy to find out (from Ron) that theres a r/c club that races a few miles down the road from me. good luck on the test tommarow. hopefully no incedents this time , and having to wait for it to drift back to ya. (knock on wood) your video looked great. cant wait to get started on mine. hopefully be able to get her in the water in the spring.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:00 PM
martno1fan

Cheers mate ,the best thing you could do is take a trip to your local club and watch the guys run and have a look and see how they set up there boats.I m sure there will be plenty of guys willing to share some info and who knows maybe offer some help and or advice .Im gald you liked my thread,i just told it as it happened so any mistakes are all in there warts and all.I think thats more helpfull than just showing the success story if you get what i mean .I m by far no expert and im still learning myself but im allways willing to help if i can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.