Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

My Panther

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
glennb2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Panther

As some of you know, I am rebuilding another Panther for a friend. Here's a couple of pictures of it so far.

It might get it's maiden this weekend at this rate, which will be fun.

It is Jon's (my friend) job to paint this thing. Not sure what colours he's going to do, we figured we would get it running then he can decide.

Glenn
Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Glenn looks good what motor is he running in there ,def needs some paint B&Q are selling off all the plastikote enamel paint cheap at £1.76 a can only small cans mind 100ml but its nice paint,mind you would need quite a few cans would need clear coating though.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
glennb2006

That motor is finest Sikk vintage December 2007.

Starts and runs nice and easy. I'll let Jon do the paint on it.

Glenn
Old 02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
martno1fan

which sikk is it the 27 cc or the other
Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
brodjack

Looks like a bigger version of my Microlynxx.
Do you have to tape the hatch on when using.I bet it takes in lots of water from spray and turns,my Microlynx will dig in the water if turned sharp too slow.
It sure is screaming for paint[8D]
Brod..
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 PM
glennb2006

Hello Brod,

no, my experience of the Panther is, when the boat is the right way up, a pretty dry one, spray does not seem an issue at all, have run mine for a full tank with minimal water intake.

The hatch fixes with two push down buttons on the back corners, and the front side has a "tongue" that goes under the deck lip to hold the front down.

Need to cut the hatch to clear the pipe on the port side a little.

Mart,

not sure which engine it is. Is there much difference?

Glenn
Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
brodjack

thanks Glenn,i ask because i'm going to build a gas boat for my son in a month or two for his birthday.
Cant decide between a Miami55 or the Panther,either will have a Zen7,bought from Daves.
He has a Shockwave 36 nitro at the moment but it dosnt have a chance in hell of giving my Mercury Cat a good challenge
If his 'aint as quick he wont race!!!!
Brod...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
w3bby

Hi Glen, with that much trim on the rudder you haven't got much to turn left with Looking neat and tidy.....

Brodjack, get the Sigma, nice boat and a nice size, runs well with the Zen 7 and should give your cat a good run.....
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: w3bby

Hi Glen, with that much trim on the rudder you haven't got much to turn left with Looking neat and tidy.....

Brodjack, get the Sigma, nice boat and a nice size, runs well with the Zen 7 and should give your cat a good run.....

Cheers for that Ian.

Must bolt the radio box in before the morning...

Blooming thing is over 1 kilo light than mine ready to rock, some irony there, so my fullly tuned monster is going to be struggling out of the turns against the nimble and torquey challenger.

If nothing else, it will generate discussion.

As to swapping paint, maybe Jon knows something that I don't!!

G;enn
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM
glennb2006

Sigma might be the way ahead mind....

Unless something newer, and better, comes along.

Glenn
Old 02-09-2008, 04:27 AM
martno1fan

Mart,

not sure which engine it is. Is there much difference?

Glenn
[/quote]
Glenn the 27 is the best motor from what ive read,powerfull and bags of torque and will swing the big props.Im sure the smaller sikk would be fine in that boat as they are light ,the 27 sikk might be a better motor in a bigger heavier boat though.Brod your brave buying Jack a ZEN 7 GOOD LUCK [sm=drowning.gif] .Get him something he can start himself like a stocker,give him something to aim for when hes more experienced or hes gonna think lifes easy and he will get bored .I wouldnt buy him a panther either they are race boats and not suited to beginers in my opinion , too much boat for him or not enough depending on which way you look at it.Glenn seems to have spent ages getting his to run how he wants so id say if it takes him this amount of work its def not the boat for a kid or a beginer.Wayne had one of the boats Glenn built not sure if its his or his pals now ?and he could never keep it on the water and lost patience with it,his words not mine.Hes no beginer either but its your choice i supose,the miami is a good choice as it has plenty of free board and a deeper vee but not sure on the zen 7 in one as they are big and heavy?,Maybe Glenn can tell me if im wrong on that one as hes running one,not sure if he has the zen 7 in it though?.Either way it wont keep up with your boat thats for sure(miami) its a big boat,should handle plenty of the rough stuff though .
Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 PM
glennb2006

Da dah - Jon's boat finally done and ready to get wet. Batteries charging ready for the morning.

So that's something to look forward to. The boat pictures is indeed the one Jon bought from Wayne.

Right - to the comments. Not sure the Panther is any harder to set up than anything else really Martin, just when I bought it the boat had trim tabs on it and I felt that with the motor I was running it should have been faster. So, in pursuit of speed, the tabs came off and then the "re tuning" of the hull began. And continues now, it is better now, pretty stable, but have made another slight strut angle adjustment and look forward to seeing what the difference is, want a little more boat in the water to calm it down a bit.

As I said earlier, I don't think the Panther is particularly susceptible or sensitive that makes it flighty, I think that it is most likely true that any boat running at getting on for 60 is going to be lively.

Must remember that with one exception EVERY crash I have had with mine has been my fault.

The Miami is ok, depends what you are going to do with it, mine has a stock Zenoah in it and goes OK, bit less frantic than the Panther!!

It is OK in rougher weather, but still requires care.

Cheers.

Glenn
Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 AM
martno1fan

Glenn i was trying to say the panther isnt a good beginers boat especially with a zen 7,in my eyes a boat doing 60 mph is not for a young kid to play with and thats my honest opinion.Im glad you have yours running well,i agree any boat doing 60 mph is going to be flighty at times its what happens at speeds like that,i know my boat can get flighty at 40 if it hits a wave or wake it can jump just like any boat.I have mine set so its running not too light as thats how i like it when its rough,i will loosen it up some more when the waters calmer and i want top speed,then ill see how flighty mine can be but i dont race so speed isnt my main objective.I guess im not a speed junkie,most of the boats i like are the older ones like the miami and apache hulls etc,not the fastest but look the part.Each to there own and if i was a racer then a boat like yours would def be the way to go,but for sports use im not so sure.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Glenn i was trying to say the panther isnt a good beginers boat especially with a zen 7,in my eyes a boat doing 60 mph is not for a young kid to play with and thats my honest opinion.Im glad you have yours running well,i agree any boat doing 60 mph is going to be flighty at times its what happens at speeds like that,i know my boat can get flighty at 40 if it hits a wave or wake it can jump just like any boat.I have mine set so its running not too light as thats how i like it when its rough,i will loosen it up some more when the waters calmer and i want top speed,then ill see how flighty mine can be but i dont race so speed isnt my main objective.I guess im not a speed junkie,most of the boats i like are the older ones like the miami and apache hulls etc,not the fastest but look the part.Each to there own and if i was a racer then a boat like yours would def be the way to go,but for sports use im not so sure.

Want to buy a nice low mileage Miami?

G
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Want ot buy a nice low mileage Miami?

G
LOL how much? ,on second thoughts better not weve spent too much as it is over the past month.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
glennb2006

Hi there,

the Panther still lives and gets further devolped as time allows. I have some video of it running fairly well. Flat water with a race set up - not revving out properly I need to look at pipe tuned length and mixture.

Let me know if you want to see it.

Glenn
Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
lineman1221

lets have it Glenn! we would love to see that beauty go
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: lineman1221

lets have it Glenn! we would love to see that beauty go
Old 06-14-2008, 06:18 AM
martno1fan

Nice vid Glenn what motor is it your running?,seems to run pretty well .
Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 AM
glennb2006

That is the Zen7, with the WYK33 carb. Needs the pipe shorter and maybe leaned off a bit more to rev properly.

Bit more to come. But there always is!

Glenn
Old 06-14-2008, 09:37 AM
brodjack

What you doin' online Glenn? you should be at the waters edge....

I'm still housebound with my torn abdomen,no boating this weekend
Brod..
Old 06-14-2008, 10:04 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

That is the Zen7, with the WYK33 carb. Needs the pipe shorter and maybe leaned off a bit more to rev properly.

Bit more to come. But there always is!

Glenn
Cheers mate have you raced her yet or is just for fun?,hoping to get my hydro wet again soon my pipe also was way long first time out.Hoping for a good speed when i get her dialed in,after seeing the speeds this motor has been clocked at in a sprint cat 75 mph im a little nervous lol,ill be well happy with 60 .heres a vid of the sprintcat.
[link]http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/Gumby112087/?action=view&current=100degrees75mph-2.flv[/link]
Old 06-14-2008, 12:39 PM
glennb2006

Not allowed out today - the Dragon has spoken. Had jobs to do - however, that means that tomorrow I will be out all being well.

Weather not been great today.

Let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Glenn
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
lineman1221

very nice guys keep up the good work [sm=thumbs_up.gif]