Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

ALU header to Copper plumb pipe?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

ALU header to Copper plumb pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 PM
MKMotorsport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALU header to Copper plumb pipe?

In an effort to get my WHH Enforcer back on the water im running into a problem. I'm trying to mate a marine specialties short radius header to standard copper plumbing pipe. I'm planning on using the stock WHH wet pipe setup. What is the best way to join the ALU to the Copper? I've attempted brazing the two metals together with AL brazing rod with limited success. Is there a better way to accomplish this? []

Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 AM
machine-it

Default RE: ALU header to Copper plumb pipe?

what type of join are you trying to make, does the pipe fit inside or are you trying to butt them up together
Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Still not sure about the use of copper in the main elbow of the header pipe.

But to answer how to join them... If they're similar in size, just use a length of high temp silicone tube & some clamps on both ends. If you look at WHH wet setup, its the same. AND besides, its what we've been using for ages in these things.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 AM
MKMotorsport

The AL header does fit perfectly inside the 3/4" copper plumb pipe. It seems I need to use at least 1 90 degree copper section in addition to a silicone coupler to get a straight shot at the tuned pipe/exsisting hole in the transom. I was hoping not to have to use two sections of silicone coupler? Also, wouldn't the silicone burn up without water eventually? I tapped the 90 degree copper elbow with a water fitting so that the coupler between that and the tuned pipe would have water flowing through it. Thanks for the input thus far, and let me know what you think.

MKM
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Thefarside

Post a picture of what you have and someone may have a better idea.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 AM
machine-it

i did a bit of searching around because i had feeling there was a reason you shouldn't join alu and copper, what i found out is that if alu and copper are in direct contact with each other they will corrode

here is an extract:

Corrosion of aluminium may be accelerated through contact with another metal in moist or wet conditions and this is known as galvanic corrosion. The two metals, together with water present, constitute a cell, causing a small electric current to flow and leading to corrosion of the less noble metal.

For example, when copper or steel is in contact with aluminium under above conditions aluminium will corrode but when zinc (galvanised surface) is in contact with aluminium then zinc will corrode.
Stainless steel and aluminium form an exception because the combined resistance of the two protective films impedes the current flow, thus reducing galvanic action.

you might get away with some kind of adhesive as it would provide a barrier
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could use a copper bend and join it to a steel tube then attach that to the pipe? failing that use a pipe with water cooling that way the only thing in contact with the copper is the o rings ?.is there a reason you cant just buy an ali header ?or even steel?.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 PM
MKMotorsport

Quick update- After doing some more research, I found out Marine Specialties makes a "long radius" header, the original header I had was a "short radius". The additional "sweep" on this header allows a direct shot to the tuned pipe now, completely eliminating the need to use the hodgepodge of plumbing parts I was attempting to earlier. Thanks again for the help/suggestions.