Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Gas Tunnel boat ... what to build?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

1/4 scale Gas Tunnel boat ... what to build?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Jan_the_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale Gas Tunnel boat ... what to build?

Hi Gas Guys!

I am a nitro tunnel boat racer looking to build me a 1/4 scale gas tunnel boat. I am looking for ideas , tips and tricks on how to and what to build. Our club is introducing a new gas boat racing class next season and I want to compete.

Engine I've got... Zenoah PUM260 , walbro 813 carb , bz-4
Tuned exhaust pipe I need !
Hull I need !
Outboard drive leg I need ! ... was looking at the G-Morty drive and Lawless , how do they compare???
Servo's I need ! What to use to steer this leg setup...
Anything else I would need ???

Your help is very much appreciated, I know I'm talking to the pro's here !!!
Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 AM
w3bby

Default RE: 1/4 scale Gas Tunnel boat ... what to build?

Oval Express can help you out [link=http://ovalexpressracing.com/hulls.html]here[/link] with just about everything you could want or need...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

I'm currently running a Aeromarine Predator X with a Zen powered Lawless with the SPP carbon fiber pipe. Corbus, from Cape Town, sent me some action shots from your neck of the woods. One was with a gasser with a sweet pipe on it. Fred Howe, Lawless, also sent me a pic of another pipe that comes from RSA, but is a wrap around pipe. Won't mind getting my hands on either one of those. Two Hi-Tech 805 servos set inline works for steering the power beast.. 5-40 tie rod ends from my off road days connect the two servos together. 4-40 rods exit the radio box and then carbon fiber rods go to the steering arm on the lower. 6-32 heim joints connect the carbon fiber rods to the steering arm.

Two boats that come to mind would be either the OSSI, which James can get mailed to you, or the Woodstuff Racing tunnel. The Aeromarine is not worth the money I plan on building a 47" WOF for next years World Tunnel Champs.. Yes James, if you see this, I will be bringing my gasser.. Been talked into it!

Heard nothing but good things about G-Morty's lower. I don't have one, so can't comment more. The Lawless has had issues the first year out. Most of the boaters have been breaking the one piece flex / prop shaft. Fred has redisgned this problem. New setup is the "normal" two peice - flex shaft and seperate prop shaft - as used in all other OB motors. He will be sending me this setup shortly. Two testers have been using this setup with out failure. One is in the UK and the other in RSA.

hhmm, anything else?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Hesco Racing

Mark if the guy in RSA running the Lawless leg is who I think it is then your info is not entirely true. He has not run more than a few laps without breaking the cable and has tried various setups. But hopefully by early next year their will be a new leg on the market which is holding promise in developement stage. Nearly 10 hours of running and now breakage yet.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Jan_the_man

Is it the much rumoured HRP Leg maybe ??? Can't wait to see !

I possibly know of the guy here in the RSA that deals with that pipe you mentioned , but the prices asked for it is a bit to much considering. We are contimplating building our own pipe , just researching some specs and dimensions ans stuff like that. It's gonna be a tough one though...

Were can I have a look at the Woodstuff hull and where can one order it from? The Ossi is a nice one , getting shipping qoutes on it from James.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:24 AM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Four shots of the Woodstuff in action. Red boat is Bill Van Kirk and the other is Walt R. Bill was the one contact for the boats since Mike Crawford does not own a computer. Don't have a contact number for Mike either. Will see if I can find it for you.

Information from Fred was the newer seperate flex cable and prop shaft was not breaking as the single piece was. Fred did not mention who the person was in either UK or RSA that had the new setup. Hopefully will be able to find out quickly myself when the new setup arrives.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57045.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	804207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nc93196.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	804208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72876.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	804209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77432.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	804210  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 AM
stuarth

Hey Jan the Man!!

Where you guys race? on the N2?
If so have you space for a deep vee woody gasser?

Just finished it and as yet un tested!!
Stuart
Old 11-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Jan_the_man

Hi Stuarth,

We race out on the N1 next to Klapmuts turn-off. I don't think they will have a problem with a deep V in the new gas class , since it is called the Gas Offshore class and would include Tunnel , Cats and shockwave type boats. Maybe you should have a chat here with Hesco Racing , he is the club chairman and will be able to tell you what the class rules are.

Enjoy and hope to see you there!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 AM
stuarth

Jan,

DUH!! Sorry I meant the N1!! I watched the nationals there!!??
Just to clarify they will or will not have a problem with a deep vee!!??
I have some friends who might be keen too!

Do you still race on the first and last Saturdays!

Regards
Stuart
Old 11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Jan_the_man

Yes Stuart , there is still racing on the first Saterday of the month and official practice the last Saterday of the month.

I believe they shouldn't have a problem with the deep V , but Like I said , get in touch with "Hesco Racing" aka Cobus that you might have seen higher up in the posts of this topic. He will have all the details of the new class. I've seen a few guys out there prepairing all sorts of boats for this class. From Tunnel hulls to Catemerans (Blackjack 55 mostly) and the odd deep V-hull. They allow Deep-V's in the junior Offshore Nitor class where a friend of mine runs a Shockwave with the other 3.5 tunnels and Thundercats.

The big concern with this class as in all the other is the noise levels , so get a decent muffler if you wanna compete.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
stuarth

Jan, ok cool!!

I have a Prestwich tuned pipe...not loud at all!!!

See you there!!

Stuart
Old 11-15-2007, 08:35 AM
stuarth

Jan, ok cool!!

I have a Prestwich tuned pipe...not loud at all!!!

See you there!!

Stuart
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
omra

Hi Guys

Well i am the person in the UK who is using the new Lawless drive.We have found that it runs really well now,with the new shaft arangement.One tip tip:when you run this set up make sure you use thin oil on the shaft.We are currently testing the Woodstuff hull (BRILLIANT HULL) Well done Mike Crawford!!
See pics below.

Name:	Us54534.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	804436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92915.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	804437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13921.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	804438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32880.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	804439  
Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Hesco Racing

Stuarth

As jan said the offshore gas class is just starting to take off in Cape Town. Their is about 13 boats running in Gauteng. We may practice every Saturday except raceday. Iff you are interested please contact me at 084 558 1301 and I can arrange that someone phone you when they go practice. Because the dam is on private property non club members must accompany new members. We welcome any new boater and will be glad to help you to get into racing iff you want to.

Omra from your pictures it does not look like the boat is realy motoring. What speed are you guys running and are you running oval or tight bend course (like FSR-V). I agree a WOF boat is the way to go but the price!!! (eina)

Cobus
Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM
omra

The Aeromarine predator has reached an average speed of 50mph using the garmin gps device.The Woodstuff boat is being run in at present.The pics were taken last weekend whilst on its first test run.On this hull we are using the Sikk 27cc motor.the engine is faster in its acceleration,but still have along to go with this.We are using a standard muffer at the moment,but once run in we will change to the salisbury carbon pipe.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
stuarth

Cobus

are you guys going down tomorrow?

there is a chance I can get there in the afternoon!

Regards
Stuart
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Jan_the_man

I have had a look at the Salisbuey pipe webpage but can not find a pipe designed for the gas outboard engines. Is this a custom build from them or is their webpage outdated? What sort of price range are we looking at here???
Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Youngzrcboats

Hi Guys - I am new to the forum and am excited to see so much interest and opinions. Firstly I would like to congratulate and thank Fred Howe publicly for all his hard work and sacrificial expense in commitment to developing a leg, such that he has. I have worked with Fred for many years now and the issue with regards to the cable simply is the cable. Not the Leg. We have done extensive research and have currently found a company dedicated and committed to manufacturing very specific cables to serve a determined purpose. Previously, for most of the cables that were available to be square-ended on both sides, the necessary torque rpm and balance limits were not of the degree required. The initial output of the Zenoah 26 pum prior to any attached performance tunepipes was not a threat to the basic cables that were used, subsequently we have designed and manufactured an amazing Tune Pipe, that not only puts out awesome horsepower, but also delivers it in a wide rev range - making it very managable when racing the boat on a tight circuit - due to this increased horsepower, the original cables have therefore fallen short and thus the need for the specific cables.

A lot has been done to develop this awesome class and I guess the showdown in March at the Tunnel ShootOut in Charlestown, South Carolina will answer many questions. For those who are serious about Gas Tunnels - hope to see you there.

Name:	Xv63132.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	807983  
Old 11-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Hesco Racing

Not the only boat from RSA

Name:	Qo39133.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	809717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21552.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	809718  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:26 AM
stuarth

Where do you get those? dare I ask the price in SA Rands?

You racing tomorrow?

Regards
Stuart
Old 11-23-2007, 06:44 AM
CapeTown73

Hi Stuart,
I assume you are asking about the F1 Tunnel hulls above. The white hull immediately above your last mail, is molded here in the Cape Province. Details and price are available from Cobus (Hesco Racing) who I believe you have been talking to. In fact I understood from Cobus that you may be running your 'V' gas hull at our dam tomorrow ? I may see you out there as well. I currently race in the 3.5cc and 7.5cc nitro F1 tunnel classes but am also planning to put a gas F1 tunnel together for next year.

The yellow and red F1 tunnels that you will have seen higher up are also molded here. Contact Dominic Young for price and other details. He placed the post with the large photo of the the two boats.

Look forward to meet you soon.
Wennie.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Hesco Racing

Stuarth

More affordable than you think
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 AM
stuarth

Yip I am going to try and get there tomorrow but it aint looking good!
Do you guys know of somewhere I can get some decent waterline in Cape Town?

Stu
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM
CapeTown73

Hi Stu,
If by 'waterline' you mean a dam on which to run your boat (legally), I afraid they're like chicken teeth ! i.e., not available. This is why we drive halfway to Paarl each time we need to practice or race.

Hope to see you tomorrow at Klapmuts.
Wennie.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Youngzrcboats

wow how big is this boat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.