Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rio 51 exhaust problems

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rio 51 exhaust problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Rio 51 exhaust problems

ORIGINAL: ken0276
If that boat runs with a 5.3" pitched prop, 45 mph shouldn't be a problem by 12K rpm.
ORIGINAL: Doubledog
Where is this prop a 5.? pitch ratio? Who said its running that size prop? You said with a 5.? pitch ratio it would run 45mph @ 12k. Ok, but the boat does not come with a prop that size.

ORRIGINAL: Grimracer
We supply the boat with a 65mm X 100mm pitch prop from our Grimracer Prop line.
Where is this prop 5.3 ratio to make it run that fast @ 12k.???

I'm only asking you to show how you get this. Nothing more.
ORIGINAL: Believe It
and i doubt there are many motors on the market (if any) that would spin any prop thats 65+mm with a 5.0 pitch ratio...as with a 5.0 pitch RATIO, you'd have ALOT of pitch (IE a 6717/3 has 4.48 pitch... the 17 = 1.7 pitch ratio).
See some confusion coming from Inches of pitch Vs Pitch ratio. Ken was quoting inches of pitch which somehow became a pitch ratio debate. There are plenty of boats and motors running more than 5" of pitch stock. To turn a 5.0 pitch ratio you would be looking at a paddle wheel - not a prop (considering a 67mm prop would have 13.2" of pitch)
Old 12-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Slow Motion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I'm not sure how this thread went from exh. problems to a debate on speeds, but what I am about to share is NOT a slam on Aquacraft or anyone. Rather, it is fact, based on solid calculation. Almost everyone seems to have skipped right over GrimRacer's post # 47, where he tells us that the three blade prop is 2.6 " dia., and 4.1 " pitch. When you plug the #s in to a prop calculator, using a slip ratio of 20% ( which is VERY efficient for a surface drive mono ), 45 MPH equates to 14488 RPM. I can tell you from two videos, that those motors, under load, are no where near 14K. Now, if you change 45 MPH, into KPH, you get 28 MPH @ 9015 RPM. I have run monos MANY times at speeds of 40 to 60+ MPH, and I believe these boats to be running at no more than 10K.
Again, not trying to rain on anyone, just trying to point out that 45 MPH with a 4.1 " prop, needs at least 14500 RPM, which is typical of a stock Zen 260 under load.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Me thinks I am just going to have to get my own Rio and add GPS and a tach.

Wont be going to the trouble of videoing the GPS readings or anything like that (you might just have to take my word for it)

Pleased with the looks and performance (videos) I have seen so far. The support for the product looks equally good also
Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Me thinks I am just going to have to get my own Rio and add GPS and a tach.

Wont be going to the trouble of videoing the GPS readings or anything like that (you might just have to take my word for it)

Pleased with the looks and performance (videos) I have seen so far. The support for the product looks equally good also

It might be a great boat to use for a single model race series, that would be an interesting one to watch.....

Glenn
Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 AM
mr.mauian

[>:] okay guys I will video my RIO this weekend weather prevailing, (we got rain and strong winds) and I will stick my garmin GPS in it and video and see what she's doing. Hopefully it will do something in the 40's. I will be running the stock prop and after todays run she's doing better than the day the exhaust broke.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Me thinks its ok to disagree sometimes. We're all friends.[8D]

Sorry for pushing the thread off in another direction...... Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

*ed* Btw, you've got me to thinking... Get one in Wally's hands & let him push that sukker[X(]
Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr.mauian

[>:] okay guys I will video my RIO this weekend weather prevailing, (we got rain and strong winds) and I will stick my garmin GPS in it and video and see what she's doing. Hopefully it will do something in the 40's. I will be running the stock prop and after todays run she's doing better than the day the exhaust broke.
This will be interesting to see .
Old 03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
edmkills

edmkills

Just curious how does the pipe exit the transom does it allow for some movement? I don't think vibration is breaking the weld but rather the torque of the motor twisting the dampners. If the engine can move more than pipe through the transom will allow somethings got to give.

RE: Rio 51 exhaust problems - 12/28/2007 1:55:25 PM

Grimracer
The way the pipe is mounted has nothing to do with the headers breaking..

Thanks for you input..

ROCK ON

Mike

Looks like I was at least in the ball park Glad you got it sorted Grim
Old 03-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Grimracer

Good one.. I guess I sould have stated "the way it was supported".. easy to make changes to that statement now eh' wouldend have been much better but you get the idea.

But.. the bottom line.... its not the way its mounted thats at fault.. its a hard to control weld that seems to be the cause of the failuer.. in turn making the mounting position ad stress to the system.

Thanks guys for your input.

Grim