Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: apache owners

Well, what I can say is that if the boat is sensitive to the prop trim angle, it is working more submerged than surface piercing. Then again, there are loads of variables, these modelsare so small that placing the drive 2-3 mm's up or lower on the transom, or added weightwould both translate in thedifference of how the prop works (submerged or surface piercing).
    Concerning the rudder, weare discussing double steerabledrives, so that is not applicable to this discussion mate.

Thank you for your precious insights, this shows me how attentive Imust be in the boat balancing and drive positionning!
    Fortunnately I have help from a mate here, that is one of the fewauthorized (real) Arneson testers in Europe.
    Cars, boats, women & all the work between!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

By the way, RCMK just confirmed that their steerable drives are still under development, they will post them on their online shop when ready, no idea of when!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Think of it this way angle the prop down the thrust is going down pushing the transom up and the bow goes down angle it the oposite way reverse happens its just basic physics really.I dont know how well these boats will run with twin drives with all the extra weight that goes with it,me personally i would go with a single one but thats my opinion as i like to keep things simple.I know you want to replicate the real thing and im sure it will look great,will look forward to seeing how well she runs.My coments regards the rudder are relevant to this thread as its discussing Apaches .
    Mart
    Waveridermouldings,Manufacturer of quality race proven Hulls.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man, I am all mixed up.  The MHZ Z drive is currently on hold, I am reading the WD200 steerable strut is better for larger boats over 65", mine is 57", and what is the link to the RCMK drive you guys are talking about?  I am so confused about what I want to run on my boat.  I always had good luck with the Ware House Hobbies SPD3 and dual rudders.  I like the Prestwich 7 hp Zenoah for the price not bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, take it for what it's worth, but here is what I decided to use:
    - RCMK Inline S520 Evo (the new 2011 version)
    - WD200 1:1 gearbox
    - WD200 Lenkstrut drives
    The engine and ancillaries are all on the way from RCMK now, have to place the WD200 order asap, but is a suffered decision!

MHZ Germany got back to me yesterday about their Z-Drives, and saying:
    - they have 4 units in stock.
    - they do guarantee these units, and service parts will be available.
    -the will be re-making these drives in the future, but not immediately.
    - reason for all this hassle is that their poor supplier passed away. Now they have a new supplier, but are testing him thru production of a new Jet-Drive. If it works well (quality wise), they will have him produce the Z-drive.

Hope this helps,
    AJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look forward to seeing your build once your new hull arrives,goes out tomorrow .
    Mart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know what you mean Jared. So many choices out there. When I built my apache it was a matter of water cooling a weed eater engine or running with the hatch off. Hardware decisions were octura, prather or make it yourself. Half the stuff or more came from harware and auto parts stores or I made it myself. Those days are gone, not sure wich I enjoyed more.
    In the same boat as you in more ways than one. I too live in a perpetual contruction site I call my home. I wonder if I'll ever get it done. Lots of figuring to do there too isn't there.
    Think you're just a little nervous about committing to poking holes in that virgin hull, only to find you like something better later. I'm going with TopSecret strut and dual 5in rudders this time around. Looks good, light, inexpensive and I'm quite sure it will work fine. Also reusable for possible future project.

Looking forward to seeing both yours and Adrano's take shape. I'll post mine when my stuff arrives.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: adrianojp

- WD200 Lenkstrut drives
    The engine and ancillaries are all on the way from RCMK now, have to place the WD200 order asap, but is a suffered decision!

-*the will be re-making these drives in the future, but not immediately.
    - reason for all this hassle is that their poor supplier passed away. Now they have a new supplier, but are testing him thru production of a new Jet-Drive. If it works well (quality wise), they will have him produce the Z-drive.

Hope this helps,
    AJ
    CONGRATS on the project and thanks so much for info from MHZ. Good stuff!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JaredW
    what is the link to the RCMK drive you guys are talking about?
    I think they are talking about the Trimax Surface Drive Unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk30199.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	1510310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gl21480.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	722.4 KB 
ID:	1510311  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally was able to snap a few pics of the apache not great pics but something lol. Oh ya and dont mind the yellow tape lol its all been removed and the finger in the last pic.

57\" apache under construction
    65\" Ballantine apache
    65\" Expresscraft GTX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi mate looking at your pics id say you could move that motor forward a good 4-6 inches and install a 90 degree header and increase the speed no end.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It looks a little far aft Mart but I think maybe only an inch or two. He does have the tank pretty well forward and it looked pretty good on the water. I actually asked you once before what the diff would be on a 90 degree and deep v style header and you never got back to me on that one.
    You got a hatch for it wannagofast? Any paint plans? How do you like having the pull start on the other side? It bugs the hell out of me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, thanks for you input. I have a little time before my build so I will probably wait and see what happens on the Z drive. If that does not work out then I will look at other options.

ORIGINAL: adrianojp

- WD200 Lenkstrut drives

-the will be re-making these drives in the future, but not immediately.

Hope this helps,
    AJ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: apache 1

It looks a little far aft Mart but I think maybe only an inch or two. He does have the tank pretty well forward and it looked pretty good on the water. I actually asked you once before what the diff would be on a 90 degree and deep v style header and you never got back to me on that one.
    You got a hatch for it wannagofast? Any paint plans? How do you like having the pull start on the other side? It bugs the hell out of me.
    Ya I have a hatch for it just not cut out yet and i need to get some latchs for it. Paint i dont know yet Im thinking of doing maybe a wrap on it?? The pull start doesnt bother me i would move the motor forward if the 90* header would make a big difference if not it rides well how it is.
    57\" apache under construction
    65\" Ballantine apache
    65\" Expresscraft GTX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The wrap forward v header wont allow the engine to hit its peak rpm so you could be losing as much as 4-5 maybe more mph.My spark plugs 18" from the transom and id say my balance point is a tad too far forward as she runs a little wet on flat water but perfect when its choppy which suits me anyway.I wanted to also keep the pipe as much in the boat as possible so had to put it that far forward anyway as my pipes quite long has a 2" band and external silencer and was the only one i had at the time and i was kinda impatient to get her on the water,ill be moving things again when i get the new pipe.A friend had his motor a tad aft and his boat was a bit flighty in rough water so rather than move it forward he tested some balast up front and it made a world of diference.
    Mart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Poking holes in a new hull does make me nervous. Funny. I don't mind taking a drill to my big boat to do mods.

I know what you mean Jared. So many choices out there. When I built my apache it was a matter of water cooling a weed eater engine or running with the hatch off. Hardware decisions were octura, prather or make it yourself. Half the stuff or more came from harware and auto parts stores or I made it myself. Those days are gone, not sure wich I enjoyed more.
    In the same boat as you in more ways than one. I too live in a perpetual contruction site I call my home. I wonder if I'll ever get it done. Lots of figuring to do there too isn't there.
    Think you're just a little nervous about committing to poking holes in that virgin hull, only to find you like something better later. I'm going with TopSecret strut and dual 5in rudders this time around. Looks good, light, inexpensive and I'm quite sure it will work fine. Also reusable for possible future project.

Looking forward to seeing both yours and Adrano's take shape. I'll post mine when my stuff arrives.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I feel you. I started in 96 and my first boat was the Dumas Scarab KV, Had the Dumas hardware and I bought a motor from Warehouse Hobbies that was air cooled. That motor belongs to a buddy today. Back then all we had was the boat modeler magazine and that is where I got my ideas. Later I ordered an enforcer sport with the SPD3 and a Zenoah and loved that boat. That is pretty much all my experience with hardware. I would go back with a ware house hobbies setup but the dual rudder setup is just so big and bulkly looking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Apache builders!

Im in building dreams of an MHZApache 52" i have this Zenoah 230RC building kit from whhobbies.
    Should it work?
    How fast?
    Is it hard to build? (rookie)
    http://www.whhonline.com/product_p/builderspecial.htm
    2 Fast 4 U

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why go air cooled in a boat?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, i want to keep it simple, driving only in saltwater, i have the kit already.
    2 Fast 4 U

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You wont be able to run the boat with the hatch if you go air cooled,even water cooled motors need lots of air to be allowed to breath and keep cool enough in these hulls.My opinion sell it and get yourself a 260 pum marine motor and your speed will be better and you can then run the hatch.It will def work just saying easier to go with the water cooled engine from the start especially in these big boats,but if running without the hatch isnt a problem have a go and above all have fun.
    Mart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thx 4 reply, i will go with no hatch.

are the MHZ 51" apache hulls (299&pound the best ones?(for that size)
    is it incl. motor rails?
    2 Fast 4 U

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What type of water are you going to be running in? I know you said salt water but I'm asking about water condition, chop, waves, current etc... If you are considering running in heavy ocean chop you are going to need a bigger boat mate. Minimum I would consider is a 57" Apache. Talk to Mart some more I know he has somethng that will work for you.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Leo
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cheesewizz69
    Talk to Mart some more I know he has somethng that will work for you.
    Yup, Leo is right!

I have received the new Waverider Apache hull from Mart, and it is a VERY solid, light and overall beautiful boat!
    Just for your information, I am building the boat for rough sea conditions -so- if open sea is your objective, this could be a valuable option. ;-)

Will be opening a build thread in the next days, maybe you will be interested in the pics.

P.s.: also I suggest you sell that air cooled motor package and get a modified Zen or RCMK, otherwise it won't be much fun, especially with that 70+mm propeller!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well im not gonna drive in open sea, but it will be choppy and some waves!

How is the apache 51"hull compared to Super g hulls in that condition?
    2 Fast 4 U

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast