Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

'Throwing' the boat to launch?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

'Throwing' the boat to launch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 PM
EricOnTheWeb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 'Throwing' the boat to launch?

I see Tower has limited stock[] It will be at least another 3 weeks before I'm able to put money down on one, and they will probably be out. They probably won't get another shipment until late summer or whatever.... that would totally suck[>:]

I won't order from anyplace but Tower.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Sorry about the deleted posts guys, but the posts were getting way off topic and had to do some cleanup. Please keep the thread posts related to the subject.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:45 AM
EricOnTheWeb

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Sorry about the deleted posts guys, but the posts were getting way off topic and had to do some cleanup. Please keep the thread posts related to the subject.

Raises hand in guilt....[8D] that happens a lot on forums...

Anyways.... throwing the boat the size of a Rio has got to be a challenge.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Hairballusmaximus

Well I got it running( for a little while anyway) runs rough, had to lean out LSN 1/2 turn just to get it to fire. Factory servo and cable set up was way off also. It idles relatively nice, low too. I dont think it will require much above a nice low idle in the water either. No tach so just a guesstimate, but I would guess it was idling at around 2000 sitting still in water so not bad. It is still running way too fat but I dont want to start leaning her yet, might have to a little to get it to transition a little better and be reliable enough to take to lake on saturday. It definately should be able to just drop in with out 'having' to toss or throw it.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Dreamin Hemi

If you saw my video, I usually just grab the air intake on the hatch as my handle and lean over to place it in the pond. Make sure you can shut down the engine with the radio. I had to adjust my idle to slow things down before it would stop running with forward motion of the trigger.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Scott sorry to go off topic but congrats on the new job ,does this mean i now have to call you sir .
Mart
Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Naaa.....you have seniority over me...have more posts than me [:@]. Its I who should be calling you sir!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sometimes you just have to toss them to get the boat into water deep enough so that the hanging hardware doesn't hit bottom. Yeah, I found that out last Saturday when I thought that it was deep enough but "recupped" a prop when it found the ground.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Dreamin Hemi

At the boat ramp we use there is a large metal pole I sometimes use to lean myself over into the pond with as I grab on to it. Funny you mentioned recupping your prop Ron, I just yesterday made a few underwater trenches while launching thinking I was deep enough.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:10 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Naaa.....you have seniority over me...have more posts than me [:@]. Its I who should be calling you sir!
Haha never been called sir but have been called a few other things ,it has been said i have a big mouth but i dont know where they get that idea from .Heres an idea if the lake is shallow in the margins id think rather than throw the boat in maybe waders or just get your feet wet and get in there to launch her that way.Failing that a cpl of old pallets and you can make a small landing to launch and retrieve your boats .
Mart
Old 06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
EricOnTheWeb

I don't think I'm up to throwing a boat as big as Rio...

BTW, in this hobby (Radio Control) no one is higher than anyone else to be called sir.. we're all equal no matter our status, religion, color, felonies, jail time, or whatever... When people are out running our boats together, planes cars ect ect... we all got one thing in common..... RC and having fun... You can be stupid, 5 years old or 105 years old.... it doesn't matter... because we all have this common bond in Radio Control..

To me, everyone of you dudes is a sir...
Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Dreamin Hemi

I'm fairly sure the "sir" comments were ment to be taken in complete sarcasm.

Launching the Rio by a toss is easy. The top canopy gives a nice finger hold. If I'm by myself, thats where I grip, with a buddy (recommended) HE usually takes care of launching for me so I can manage the throttle right away. Every place we run these boats at is different. Some have a 3' Drop off at a pier, or could be on the shore near an ocean.

Main point here on this thread, may seem trivial, but get your boat wet in the safest way possible and have fun.....just use common sense.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 PM
EricOnTheWeb

Yeah I know, but guess I'm just reliving my start into the hobby... Watching some guy in the summer flying his super chipmunk is what got me hooked... been an emotional release ever sense.. without RC I would be totally freakin crazy, lol...

Congrats though, Hemi... mod staus shows your devotion to making the forum great..

Yeah it will take me some time to find out how to launch a huge boat....pfft I never launched any type of boat, lol... It may be a dangerous situation for me... [&o]
Old 06-23-2008, 02:28 AM
Hairballusmaximus

Well I got 2 good evenings of running! The engine has become WAY easier to start and she idles nice and low and reliably. Still has enough power to stay running when set gently into the water and requires no throttle input to stay running with very little forward motion.

Now the bad news. even though i opened up the hull and 'relieved' the 'tension' on the exhaust, the header still broke, I dont think its welded, I think its soldered. Either way it broke. I fixed it, sort of, my welder was out of mig juice and all I had laying around was 035 flux core, so the weld job is UGLY!!, but holding. I will call for a replacement on monday morning. Also to insure the exhaust port didnt crack on me I cut the header tube where it enters the cooling collar and used silicone tubing (I can only get about 1-2 tanks before it cracks) to join the 2. I will be getting a diff exhaust soon but not really soon. Handles better than I had hoped for! I ran a gal fuel through it on sat/sun evenings and its getting better and better but ran out of sili tube tonight, so had to pack it in. Over all for my first RC boat I am absolutely HOOKED!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 03:21 AM
martno1fan

Glad your happy now chuck that exhaust system in the skip and get a propper one .
Mart
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 AM
EricOnTheWeb

The header broke first thing? wow..

Why in the world hasn't this problem been factory fixed by now... did they even test this set-up before they shipped out?.. surely the header broke with them in testing..

Either I will not get a Rio until they fix this problem at the factory, or I will get a better exhaust system and send AquaCraft the bill.
breaking after a couple of tanks is ridculous, and the exhaust on my weed eater has been going strong for .....10 years.......

really blows that I know the header will break when I get mine out on the water.... instead of tuning the motor, I'll be waiting and being nervous until the header breaks....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
EricOnTheWeb

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Glad your happy now chuck that exhaust system in the skip and get a propper one .
Mart
Yeah just replace the exhaust with a good one, but what does that cost??.... 100 bucks ??... pfffttttt so I better plan on another instant 100 bucks added to the bill of 650..... I wouldn't mind it if I could send AquaCraft the bill and they refund me..

Really sucks to know I'll have to spend even more money to get a good exhaust first thing..

I'm sorry about the crying, but it is quite discouraging to know it will break right off the bat and I'll have to spend more money that I shouldn't have to spend..
Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
martno1fan

Why not try the pipe joiner idea for a cheap fix as Scott suggested ? instead of using silicone try teflon you should be able to get that easy enough?.
Mart
Old 06-23-2008, 10:00 AM
EricOnTheWeb

Nah... I just ordered a brushless sv-27 I think that will give me my boating kicks, and when I hear that the exhaust is fixed on the Rio, I'll re-think about getting one...

At least when I get a Rio I'll have my little tug boat(sv-27) to get her if she konks out[8D]...

To tell you the truth, I can't really afford the Rio right now... I believe I was responsible(finally) and came up with a happy medium..

Still want a Rio though....really bad.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Good luck with that bill...This thread is getting a little off topic. Launching boats to Rio problems? There are a couple long running threads on the Rio, lets try and keep those comments there...ok?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:09 AM
MrMikeG

At least when I get a Rio I'll have my little tug boat(sv-27) to get her if she konks out
If you try to "Tow" a boat with the SV27 you will burn up the speed controller, Yes I own one of those too! [8D]