Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Slam 260

Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slam 260

Anyone run one? What are they like?
http://www.rcjets.com.au/rcjets_cata...roducts_id=414
Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Slam 260

Grant Ed, I found an older thread on this engine if it helps, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7380587
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM
gofast53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the big leap and tried one in my Insane Hydro, was not overly impressed with the performance. Great looking motor but performance wise I thought my Omen full mod 260 was far superior, as easier to start and better top end speed on the straights (and also cheaper in price!)
I played around with carb settings and header length but could not get the SLAM to perform as well as the zen. Maybe it would have performed better in a diferent hull such as a Cat or Mono. I would be interested to know anyone elses thoughts and experiences with the SLAM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 AM
ddavie11

I have just put one in my v hull. The only part of the boat that is in the water is the prop and rudder at top speed. I have had no problems starting the motor and the speed is seen to believe. Very happy.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:40 AM
HOOTERS racing

iv seen them running a few times from what iv seen ill stick to my omen built g260 but in saying that
the idea behind it is good just needs the right mods
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM
t00fatt

I see they say they powder coat their engines to help protect them from corrosion. I"m going to be running a zen 260 in saltwater, would it be recommended to powder coat my engine as well?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
HOOTERS racing

i dont think so iv seen heaps of gas boats being run i salt water just wash it down with fresh after use then spray evey thing with inox

cheers
Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 AM
blueagle

Hi Guys, it's good to see you talking about the SLAM 260.

The motor was built to be a user friendly off the shelf affordable product. The modifications reflect this which does not make it a full mod out and out race engine, however, performance is considerably better than a standard Zen'. The prototype was tested for many hours with a varity of components to choose the best combinations both economically and performance wise. The engines are dyno'd to provide a middle of the road performance engine to suit the majority of hulls available today, although as you all know two people can have the same engines and get different results, the variables in hulls, set up and users tuning ability are great. We have provided an engine which is built in Australia from imported and CNC manufactured parts, that has performance modifications, is powder coated and has a custom water jacket, engine mounts and WT257 carbie for the lowest price possible (our contribution to the sport).

What more do you want!

Having said that, what are the right engine mods to suit all users Mr Hooter?

Blue
Hobby Depot
Old 12-22-2008, 03:22 PM
HOOTERS racing

id like to see what one of the big name motors builder can do with one omen,toxic and so on like i said
i like the idea behind the motor and would even consider useing one on my gas outboard

what you guys should do is work on a rear exhaust set up as most offshore guys i know want rear
exhaust motors

mate send one to use and ill eat my words if im wrong
Old 12-22-2008, 04:16 PM
blueagle

Mate,,, It's a Zenoah based engine, 34mm bore/28mm stroke/ 50mm rod length, what ever you can do to a Zenoah you can do to a slam!! and because of the smaller cases you can sit it lower in the boat to keep the longditudinal CG down.
Most engine builders are all doing the same stuff, it's all about shape and numbers, (port timing combos).

BLUE.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:29 PM
HOOTERS racing

blue mate i know its a zenoah and as i said i like the idea of how its been done and just to clear
things up im not saying its a bad motor and im not saying you guys do a bad job iv seen the these motor
first hand and there a real nice motor im just yet to see one perfrom iv seen the falcon cat run with one
of you motors and to me and most of the guys who saw it we just didnt see it run hard like it should
i think if these motors were put in to a better hull say a insane cat or something like that
then i think it will show it potential

iv spoken to a few gas guy around the world and most of them dont think much of the falcon hull as a race boat
as fun boat fine like i said im not putting you or you motor down just being honest
cheer
Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM
nvs motorsports

Hey blue eagle send me a motor free ill port it send it back if performs like crap ill buy it but ill i doubt ill buy it lol it will perform
only need the jug and piston hehehe
Zenoah style motors are easy to get cheap gains from you dont have to go all exotic unless you chasing the ultimate power by then they unreliable pain in the arse
Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
monza

guys, i own a Slam 260 (in a large CAT from Arrow Shark, the Fighter). Given the large hull I have nothing bad to say about the Slam. i ran a top speed of 88.4 KMH (on a GPS) and the mid to top range pick up is very good. Low end takes a bit of time and care on the throttle. Tuning is a non-event and the engine hardly every stalls on the water.

cheers
Andre
Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does bring up a question as a noob, Why would anyone spend that kind of money for a engine that seems to be a less popular engine, In the states. Is it the name ? is it thats it differn't ? I have spoke with someone who has tweaked these engines for 30 years and he tells me he can build a engine for $369.00 that produces 5.3 load hp and peak dyno showed 6.1 hp. I always see specs on HP why don't i see specs rated for torq. Because thats what will really push the boat. At least in a full scale boat. You can have a 1000hp but if you only have 100ftbls of torq your not going anywhere. I understand torq and hp. can some one explain why everyone rate's there rc boat engine in only hp and rpm ? Sorry don't mean to jack this thread. But it might apply.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 AM
jacob711

hp is partially determined from torque though

the slam engines imo seem like a good platform to start from (4 bearing lower end), they seem like they only have mild porting so if you either got it modded or put a mod jug on it should go as good or better than a modded zenoah but it would make for a fairly costly engine, thats why everyone just goes for the good old zenoahs
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Jamming

Does bring up a question as a noob, Why would anyone spend that kind of money for a engine that seems to be a less popular engine, In the states. Is it the name ? is it thats it differn't ? I have spoke with someone who has tweaked these engines for 30 years and he tells me he can build a engine for $369.00 that produces 5.3 load hp and peak dyno showed 6.1 hp. I always see specs on HP why don't i see specs rated for torq. Because thats what will really push the boat. At least in a full scale boat. You can have a 1000hp but if you only have 100ftbls of torq your not going anywhere. I understand torq and hp. can some one explain why everyone rate's there rc boat engine in only hp and rpm ? Sorry don't mean to jack this thread. But it might apply.

Have a look here to understand torque:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/POWER1.htm

Glenn
Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Gpap

ORIGINAL: HOOTERS racing

blue mate i know its a zenoah and as i said i like the idea of how its been done and just to clear
things up im not saying its a bad motor and im not saying you guys do a bad job iv seen the these motor
first hand and there a real nice motor im just yet to see one perfrom iv seen the falcon cat run with one
of you motors and to me and most of the guys who saw it we just didnt see it run hard like it should
i think if these motors were put in to a better hull say a insane cat or something like that
then i think it will show it potential

iv spoken to a few gas guy around the world and most of them dont think much of the falcon hull as a race boat
as fun boat fine like i said im not putting you or you motor down just being honest
cheer

Ian Mate whats wrong with the JAG CAT aka Falcon,,, you have only seen our test boat once and have heard about other boats on the doc. I have had our ones Modified to suit so that they have a built in fire Wall,additional fibreglass all over,hook removed from under the front of the sponsons and many other smaller changes that are only done for Hobby Depot. The boat you did see had its problems at the Hunter Valley but we only had slapped on the Skeg and new pipe the night before the race and with out any real testing time we were going in blind and trying to rectify it, to many cheifs and not enoughf indians if you get what I mean.

The SLAM260 was never built to be a Full Race Engine and nor did we STATE THAT what we did is built an all round affordable moderatly ported race engine that will suit everybody for under $600.00 Au Dollars with all the added extras, I read that some say they are a Zenoah Flops but they are not, yes we do use OEM Zenoah Cylinders and parts but we have built and sold 50 units so far and have no problems what so ever. the parts are purchassed from the US in bulk and we have sold over 200 cylinders world wide and nobody has complained,,, why is it that noby else talks about the other engines on the market the way you guys speak about our Australian desinged and manufactored Engines becuase the way I see it if we have floped a Zenoah then all other engines on the market are also flops. I stock more Geniuon Zenoah engines than anybody else in Australia and that is fact but never do I or any of my stuff claim that the SLAM is a Zenoah engine and I can also tell you all that we are currently working on the new SLAM009 that should be out by Feb 2009 it will look totaly diffent agian dew to its new billet bottom end.

I dont mind the Criticism but if you have never owned one or run one I wouldnt comment on it period or mention other engine builders names as a refrence to our SLAM becuase thats just not the way to go about it. Its not just about the Engine from what I know its a ballance of Engine boat and set up and above all its not the fastest boat on the water that wins every race.

I had some spare time and did a few runs with some of my mates down at the lake yesterday morning and have includded a small video of it, from the video that you see now you tell me what you think of the JAG CAT and SLAM260 becuase from what I see it looks pretty fast and just about on race trim and above all the entire RTR boat set up retails for under AU $1850.00 inc 2.4 radio system (US$1220.00).

Note: video is not the best quality
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=a77hS4kNJ-E

Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Squidhead Racing

ORIGINAL: Gpap

I can also tell you all that we are currently working on the new SLAM009 that should be out by Feb 2009 it will look totaly diffent agian dew to its new billet bottom end.

With respect to the new billet bottom end, do you see a rear exhaust case on the horizon anytime soon??

Johno
Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
HOOTERS racing

i think a clutched counter rotating motor would be a killer
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Gpap

Yes Mate

the only drama with it is re-desinging the mounts so that we can have either or
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Gpap

ORIGINAL: HOOTERS racing

i think a clutched counter rotating motor would be a killer

why go to all that work when you can use one of these little things

http://www.hobbydepot.com.au/product...roducts_id=454

Ian Im using these on my Big twin Vee and they will work a treat, and best of all no messy starter motors and engine work required, they are a bolt on cure.