Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

RIO 51 header

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

RIO 51 header

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 AM
dauwer77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIO 51 header

i have a rio coming in the mail. Im not sure if they reworked the issue a lot of guys have been having,but i wanna know if before its even used i should cut the header and use those silicon boot that links the header and pipe together and helps with vibration and allows more movement like used on rc cars and trucks that i have.... figured id ask u more experienced guys and see what you think, THANKS PAUL
Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: RIO 51 header

Unsure if the problems have been addressed at the factories, but I was actually going to do the same thing your describing. I just went ahead and replaced my engine instead (was eventually going to do that anyway). Heat may be your only problem with the silicone tubing on your header as it will get very hot. Let us know how it goes if you decide to go that route.

-Scott
Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont use silicone it wont hold up for very long try teflon it holds up better.You dont even need to use that why not get a pipe that has o rings then you have the anti vibration pluss easier adjustment for the pipe.
Mart
Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Dreamin Hemi

oops, I ment to say teflon...sorry.....thanks for correcting me Mart [:-]
Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM
EricOnTheWeb

Well it looks like header replacement is called for right at the start... I do hope they fix it, because in all fairness... paying 700 bucks to have the header break first thing is not good advertisement..

I know 700 bucks for a full ready to go huge gas boat isn't going to get you a ferrari of a boat, but seems that the header problem would be cheaper for the factory to fix now than handing out header replacements when people call to complain... Seems like more sense for them to install better headers at the factory, now that they know a major flaw exist .
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

oops, I ment to say teflon...sorry.....thanks for correcting me Mart [:-]
You would be surprised how many still sell silicone pipe joiners for gas,ive tried them and they last a matter of minutes before they fail,i do have a silicone one on my pipe extension in the hydro but been so far towards the end its not getting so hot but even that is showing signs of failing so ill have to get a teflon one.
Mart
Old 06-21-2008, 04:55 PM
dauwer77

thanx for the help guys... havent tried local hobby shop yet but if not where can i find teflon exhaust coupler????????????

Old 06-21-2008, 08:30 PM
tunda

If any body needs a stock replacement header or pipe and motor let me know i have some brand new never ran.........
Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Rsupreme

Just a friendly headsup, make sure you got good water flo thru the system or BOOM!!!!!.........Been there myself
Old 06-26-2008, 01:39 PM
EricOnTheWeb

ORIGINAL: Rsupreme

Just a friendly headsup, make sure you got good water flo thru the system or BOOM!!!!!.........Been there myself
You mean the header will overheat and explode?... How do I know if it is cooling well?.... did you do a modification for better cooling?..
I need to know because I want this to go smoothly so I'm not embarrassed at the lake, lol
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Hairballusmaximus

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Dont use silicone it wont hold up for very long try teflon it holds up better.You dont even need to use that why not get a pipe that has o rings then you have the anti vibration pluss easier adjustment for the pipe.
Mart
What o-rings are you talking about? The Rio has 2 o-rings in the water cooled coupler where the header pipe joins the tuned pipe, are these what you are talking about?

Where do I get the TEFLON pipe joiner, because you are absolutely right, the silicon joiner is lasting a tank maybe 2 at the most.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Rsupreme

What I meant was to make sure water is flowing thru the entire cooling system, to me it seemed to be a lil under sized and where the intake tube is located (can be adjusted) it seemed to me not to be picking up sufficient amounts of water. make sure it does not get plugged anywhere inline. If for some reason you don't see water exiting the side, remove rubber tubing from pickup tube and blow threw you should feel air at the exit side. Also blow the metal pickup tube out (sometimes launching in shallower shore lines it may tend to pickup mud and silt...........best of luck with your rio (hull is awsome).......
Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM
mauian

The stock lines on the RIO have very small diameter holes, as a upgrade go to places like Gas Rc Products and purchase the blue large water lines and since you there get some new yellow fuel lines. If anything is starting to melt(meaning o rings) you might have the motor set to lean. The color of your plug should be a nice golden toasty brown, white means to lean and black means to rich. Gas Rc has the red or black o rings. Mart mentioned a different pipe, here on this forum do a search and you will find all the upgrades that can be done to the RIO. I and a few others did many upgrades and we were one of the first to experience the RIO and address the problems in the begining. The new RIO's from here on out will have new modifications done to cure most of the engine problems from before. In my opinion just change all the water lines to larger ones then change the pipe for less weight and better performance. We have changed the pipe to a 2 " offset 90 degree header and aluminim race pipe, you will also need the cooling flange to connect to the head and header. Have fun !!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
EricOnTheWeb

I like the bigger water and fuel line idea and will do that, but I'll leave the stock pipe on for now... I just want to fill the tank and have fun out of the box... I'm not ready to modify the whole thing..

Next year though(if I like boating)(I'm sure I will) I see custom paint job, Bigger motor(possible 4-stroke) a mer-cruiser type drive unit(no rudders) and a clutch system so I can take off and stop like a real boat..possibly reverse somehow..

Oh...navigation lights, lexan windshield with simulated rivets, hmmmmm a turbo?..... I can get one for an airplane motor..
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
mauian

ORIGINAL: EricOnTheWeb

I like the bigger water and fuel line idea and will do that, but I'll leave the stock pipe on for now... I just want to fill the tank and have fun out of the box... I'm not ready to modify the whole thing..

Next year though(if I like boating)(I'm sure I will) I see custom paint job, Bigger motor(possible 4-stroke) a mer-cruiser type drive unit(no rudders) and a clutch system so I can take off and stop like a real boat..possibly reverse somehow..

Oh...navigation lights, lexan windshield with simulated rivets, hmmmmm a turbo?..... I can get one for an airplane motor..
lol ! Would love to see that on a RIO. You will enjoy it with the stock equipment. Have fun and if ya need anymore help pm me. I have just helped a guy long distance in Washington State with a RIO and guided him on a near perfect refit with a 27cc SIKK engine.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: EricOnTheWeb

Your boat is going to sink!

Glenn
Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Jared199

i am thinking of buying a rio51 is it worth the money. thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Rsupreme

Jared, I think it is just would recommend making sure updates are in place, i'm gonna post a pic shortly of my 6th run with this boat and what happened to the cylinder head even running good mixture,
Old 07-03-2008, 12:12 AM
hummitlargescale

Eric dont fix what isn't broke run it stock till it does break(my rio still has the stock header never replaced).I did get a rudder for the Aquqcraft old v24 boat with the water pickup in it and all new larger blue lines.so now I have 2 water pick ups one for the motor and one for the exhaust.