Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

First gasser, Prestwich Sigma51

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

First gasser, Prestwich Sigma51

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: First gasser, Prestwich Sigma51

Id have thought best place for handles is one on the transom on the portside and one on the front deck?.Test heres some pics i aquired a while ago of Gary Popes sigma he won the uk offshore championships with this boat ,thought you might like to have a look see .She is sikk powered 27 cc i think,im sure he wont mind me posting these pics .
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35028.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	992234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37649.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	992235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54714.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	992236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48801.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	992237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91673.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	992238  
Old 07-17-2008, 04:01 AM
patriktegelberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary's boat is nice. My handles are on port side by CG, allowes for one handed operation. Only way it will work for our style racing.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 AM
martno1fan

Im with you mate didnt think of the one handed thing so you guys run without a pitman?.
Mart
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Test005

Thanks Mart
I'll see if Dave drops in here and has some info on the engine stuff. I don't want to bother him with E-mails.

Anyways, here's some progress:
Got the ¤#"%#"* Backplate screws off the engine and installed my mount and rubber thingies.
The whole thing fit perfectly in the hull and I really like that the rail system is pre installed and lined up.

Mounted the stuffin' tube and glassed it in but will need to secure it more near the engine output shaft. Also got all the metal parts mounted in the back of the boat and did a mock up with the tuned pipe and radio box... Everything looks OK to me?

This boat building is really fun and I've been working on it for most part of the day

A few issues though:

1. No trim plates included in the kit although it says so on the Sigma51 web page. Supposedly it's faster without, but as a beginner I'd really like to have them for easier set-up and trim of the boat.

2. No bolts for the strut was included (there are screws and bolts for everything else)... luckily I had some old flat head 4mm bolts to get the job done, but I need to go buy some rust free ones with allen head.

3. There's no system included to secure the tuned pipe to the transom. I will need some ideas on how to make a bracket for this?

I was just looking at your pictures of the boat laid out, it looks like the tuned pipe is very long from exhaust port to the joint of the convergent and divergent cones, you might want to check this before you mount the pipe in there as it might affect the mounting system you end up using.

Glenn
Old 07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Test005

Thanks guys, some quick 'answers'

-Got a Tbar and pipe mount ordered, I want a real, removable Tbar, not glued in wood. It's easier to disassemble.
-water outlet, hmm, yes I won't see it squirt cooling water out the transom, maybe I should move it to the side.
-Handle, yes, will make handles, it's a big boat.
-Pipe, it's now 30cm from exhaust flange to the fat part of the pipe (as the bird flies ) It's an old mock up picture, pipe is meassured and bolted at 30cm now.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 PM
martno1fan

I use plywood with a groove for tube the ply has studs epoxied in it then i bolt an ali plate bent to shape over the tube to hold it in place no need for a t bar just more bling i supose but thats all.
Mart
Old 07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Test005

That sounds like a good solution, I'd build that but now I have already ordered an aluminum Tbar...Well, gotta live with the aditional bling I s'pose