Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Scratch and dent Rio 51

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Scratch and dent Rio 51

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 PM
stuch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch and dent Rio 51

ORIGINAL: MrMikeG

Not all clutches stop the prop from spinning, a lot drag and still spin the prop in free air.
Not all clutches are made equal ether, a SG with a clutch is going to last a lot longer than a weedeater clutch adapted to a boat.
If you run in salt water it will toast your clutch the first time you don't take it apart to wash the salt out. A rusty clutch is like no clutch at all!
If you don't run a good radio the clutch can cause you radio interference from the chatter, they must be maintained well.

As you can tell I wouldn't run a clutch if you gave it to me. Every boater I know that started with a clutch removed it within a month of getting a boat. Matt has nice boats, he also knows how to take care of them, look close at them, any grease splattered around? If your not up to that kind of commitment your probably looking for more trouble with a clutch than without.
what are you talking about i have 3 modded pum260 in my boats and all have a clutch i run in salt and fresh water. i have never had a clutch problem. i'am using 2 WHH clutches and one bonzi system. and have alot of hours on all of my boats. now if you do run in salt water there are some different maintence that you have to do. like wash out the boat with fresh water and some mild dish soap then spray w-d40 on the bell and clutch and bell bearings. and thats it....
Old 07-14-2008, 02:29 PM
webdr

ORIGINAL: stuch

Not all clutches stop the prop from spinning, a lot drag and still spin the prop in free air.
Not all clutches are made equal ether, a SG with a clutch is going to last a lot longer than a weedeater clutch adapted to a boat.
If you run in salt water it will toast your clutch the first time you don't take it apart to wash the salt out. A rusty clutch is like no clutch at all!
If you don't run a good radio the clutch can cause you radio interference from the chatter, they must be maintained well.

As you can tell I wouldn't run a clutch if you gave it to me. Every boater I know that started with a clutch removed it within a month of getting a boat. Matt has nice boats, he also knows how to take care of them, look close at them, any grease splattered around? If your not up to that kind of commitment your probably looking for more trouble with a clutch than without.
what are you talking about i have 3 modded pum260 in my boats and all have a clutch i run in salt and fresh water. i have never had a clutch problem. i'am using 2 WHH clutches and one bonzi system. and have alot of hours on all of my boats. now if you do run in salt water there are some different maintence that you have to do. like wash out the boat with fresh water and some mild dish soap then spray w-d40 on the bell and clutch and bell bearings. and thats it....
If you have to ask him what he is talking about, you must not have read what he was saying. Clutches are a pain in the arse...on any vehicle, when compared to a direct drive. A clutch on a boat is a maintanence hog, especially if you run in salt water... I think that's what he is talkin' 'bout
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
stuch

ORIGINAL: webdr

ORIGINAL: stuch

If you have to ask him what he is talking about, you must not have read what he was saying. Clutches are a pain in the arse...on any vehicle, when compared to a direct drive. A clutch on a boat is a maintanence hog, especially if you run in salt water... I think that's what he is talkin' 'bout
i read what he was saying dude. and what he was saying just like you're trying to say that clutches suck. when in fact the units i have have been EASY to maintane and i've never had one fail.....
Old 07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stuch,
now don't got too excited over that clutch issue. What Mike was saying has a lot of truth. He also said that he doesn't care about a clutch. So that's his opinion, like you have expressed yours. Now let stevo digest all that and he'll make his own decision whether or not he wants to run a clutch.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:16 PM
monsterbrad

run a clutch later on yo will be happy that you have one
Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 AM
pyro1

I have a Mag 57 w/a clutch and water pump.my (paddle,steamer runs close to 50 mph with a M5 mod). If you want a clutch by all means get a clutch. If you want real speed get a rigger w/ a full mod. Clutch/no clutch /clutch/ no clutch.(whatever!!!)
pyro1
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
MrMikeG

Stuch and I will never agree, and I'm fine with that. Boating is all about having fun and everybody enjoys different things, even if it is all boating there are different degrees of boating.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Like ststed before...different strokes for different folks. Boils down to cost for me....basically add another 100 to 150 bucks per boat by the time you add the water pump, lines, fittings....dont know about you guys but I never sit still when I have my boats out.[8/|]
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM
webdr

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Like ststed before...different strokes for different folks. Boils down to cost for me....basically add another 100 to 150 bucks per boat by the time you add the water pump, lines, fittings....dont know about you guys but I never sit still when I have my boats out.[8/|]
Your right, to clutch or not to clutch...it's all comes down to what you do w/ your boats. I strictly race, therefore a clutch is pointless because my boats dont stop when out on the course.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
thevirginian

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
stevo7896

Well my Rio 51 from Tower arrived yesterday and is in great shape ,no damage to the hull at all and very clean inside. It also does include the exhaust ,as was asked in previous post. I think I had read somewhere that the exhaust would bolt up to a zenoah 260 in another post on the Rio ? Im hoping so since most my boating will be at lakes near campgrounds, and looking for a quiet exhaust. Unfortunally here in Central California where there are some beautiful lakes within 15 minutes of town there would be any activity in RC boating but Ive havent seen any yet. As a kid I remember going to a large race near us and It dident get any better than that for a 10yo at the time. I want my 4 kids to have some of that. Enough ranting . I will be ordering the 260 w/clutch from WWH and have only seen one thread on that topic and it took some intreasting mods on the rails to get it to fit. He basically raised the front motor mounts by adding wood to the rails .It looks good ,but would like some input on the idea . As for the clutch, hopefully while tuning the prop wont spin much as my 8yo son would somehow touch it, so I figure Its small insurance. One of you mentioned it depends on the clutch as some drag with no load, is there any brands to avoid , I will be ordering the motor w /clutch combo so hopefully the WWH clutch is a good one . Thanks Stevo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63648.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	991110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84149.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	991111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91878.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	991112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51223.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	991113  
Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
monsterbrad

Ok Steve here we go
I just installed Tony's new clutch system in my Old Revenge boat I will post pics of the engine install and clutch system.
Make sure you get the one with the grease nose on the front and he will send you his kit for mounting his newest system into the boat.
The new mount is awesome and will adjust up and down.
Make sure the stringers are 5 inches apart as mine were stretched a little and I had to shim.
The biggest thing is getting the ISO pad in correctly and and getting the tube lined up with the nose of the engine and clutch assembley.
Call Tony tell him what you are going to do and he will hook you up with what you need.
Another thing this is going to take you some time and some experimenting as you are the first one to try his system with a RIO as I know of on here anyways.
If you would like to talk to me about this in person you can call me.
814-450-6973
have fun
Brad
Old 07-15-2008, 05:02 PM
monsterbrad

here are the pics
Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
monsterbrad

pics

Name:	Ax73167.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	991258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37845.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	991259   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28599.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	991260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22800.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	991261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw18958.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	991262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13753.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	991263  
Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
stevo7896

I am always reenginerring something ,cant leave anything alone. That will give me some satisifaction that its not a total RTR boat. So hows that clutch do at idle in dry dock?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
monsterbrad

It spins a little bit probably keep him away from it just to be safe.
You can hold on to it and it won't spin but when you let it go it spins a little bit
Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 AM
MrMikeG

Build a stand with a prop gaurd first before anything else.
Your hull looks good and you got a great deal.
Not too sure on the tuned pipe set-up but it should work fine for now.
The stringers look a little short, don't beat it over large boat waves and it should be ok.
Read Grims tips for the Rio before installing engine and clutch [:@]
Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
warrgy69
My Feedback: (63)

I have boats with clutches and no clutches. Zenoahs and homies. I prefer the clutch for the simple safety factor but yes, if they are not taken care of right the first install, they can be a pain. Always check clutch bolts for torque. If they come loose, you now have a heavy direct drive. I don't run salt so no comment there. All I do for maintanence is remove the shaft and clean it every day it is ran. Rusted up cable is a collet, shaft tube, etc really can do some damage trying to take out after it rusts up. Keep everything lubed, and just enjoy whatever setup you end up with. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Off topic you think!?!?! Thought this thread was concerning a S&D Rio 51.....turned into "Do I clutch or do I not clutch". I'm just as guilty...
How about more information about this scratch and dent hull??? Please!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
thevirginian

Hey, Hemi
Don't be so sensitive.This is what a forum is all about. If you can't asked questions within a thread without getting slapped on your wrist then there is no sense inrunning a forum. Am I wrong? Now, if someone hijacks a thread then that would be another story. But who would commit such a nasty crime?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
monsterbrad

You can also get the WWH nose cone with the grease fitting on it and dont worry about the shaft rusting cause there is a ton of grease on it all the time.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Off topic you think!?!?! Thought this thread was concerning a S&D Rio 51.....turned into "Do I clutch or do I not clutch"
Scott - the opening thread is asking about using a clutch with this scratch and dent hull. I too went into detail on the merits of clutch usage and was not thinking I was off topic

ORIGINAL: stevo7896
Just purchased a Rio 51 from Tower in their scratch and dent section.This one is just missing the infamous fugi motor but is complete otherwise.I love the look of the hull and have read great things about its handling abilitys and quality construction. This will be my first (gas) boat and am looking foward to it. I am planning on installing a Zenoah from WHH and bypassing those Fugi issues.I purchased the boat for $210 and used the $25 instant saving code and I think its quite a deal. I was hoping to install a clutch as well, but not sure if the canopy clearance will allow ? Also open to motor suggestions / best deals out their. In RC boat modeler mag WWH add, they have a Zen Pro -Modified 5 hp w clutch for $360. That seems to be a good deal .Im not looking to race and my be better off with their option #2 compo stock Zen w/ clutch for $309. Thanks for any input Stevo
Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Oops...new mod learning curve I suppose...Now how 'bout 'dem clutches???
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Have one of thoes cone clutches myself that I used in my own design. I do love the setup.

-Scott

Name:	Hf98478.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	991975  
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 PM
monsterbrad

Nothing like it
Another hour on the boat tonight
It was awesome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.