Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

More Rio 51 woes.

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

More Rio 51 woes.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Skiddz666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Rio 51 woes.

Once again I seek the help of the RCU forums..

Well, took the Rio 51 out to the lake, and tried for about 2 hours to get the dam thing to start, followed the instructions to the 'T' and nothing. Thought maybe the HSN or the LSN was set wrong from the factory, so re did those as per the instruction book, still nothing. Took out the plug, seems to have spark, although not the best (compared to what i see on a car) Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: More Rio 51 woes.

Be patient. I had a few bloody knuckles before mine was able to start. Most likely your flooding it out, lean out your idle screw adjustment, mine was not quite a full turn in. Once that was done startups have been a breeze. The Fugi requires a little patience, but once it's adjusted the way it likes, you'll get more enjoyment out of it (once the hand blisters heal )

-Scott
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Dreamin Hemi

There are always little questions that come up with new boats, especially new boats with new boat ownes. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6966167/anchors_6966167/mpage_1/key_rio%252Canyone/anchor/tm.htm#6966167]CHECK OUT THIS LINK[/link]. This is probably the biggest Aquacraft Rio 51 thread currently going on RCU. Both your questions have been brought up here and hundeds of postings of other questions and related issues. I'm sure you'll find this an interesting read. We're here to help you anyway we can.

-Scott

Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your not priming it enough to me?,try 1 -2 very slow pulls while choking it then it should pop,then choke off and one short sharp pull with 1/4 throttle and she should start or try to .I had similar problem with my first zen it was only when told this method did it start and i too had sore hand trying before i tried this method hope it works for you.
Mart
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Paul M

Mart's right. make sure you prime it til it pops. If you do flood it, you can take the plug out and turn the boat over and pull the crank to get the fuel out. Then it usually will start first pull.

A mistake I used to make is not having the idle set high enough. You can adjust that with your throttle trim.Sometimes I will open the throttle about 2/3 and turn the rx off to keep it open then turn it back on after it cranks.

I would definitely check out the thread Dreamin suggested.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Skiddz666

Yup, I checked out the thread, I hope I dont have half the nightmares some of those guys did. I bought a gasser to make boating easier, but from what I have just read, it looks like this boat may be more of a challenge.

I also have a question concerning the coil. Does anyone know the clearance between the pick-up and the flywheel? My one screw holding it on was loose, and im not sure if it moved or not. Also on the coil there is a male wire plug fitting on it, whats it for? I got one hell of a zap when I was trying to start it while my are was resting on it!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Hairballusmaximus

The connector is for an optional kill switch, or a failsafe equipped kill switch, be carefull, as you found out it will bite!! Mine runs ok, nothing special but ok. Use a business card to set your 'air gap' , the spacing between coil and flywheel. I took over 3 hours to finally get mine to fire for the 1st time. I am at 400 feet obove sea level and I had to set my low speed needle to 1 1/2 turns and high speed to 1 1/4 turns just to get it to fire. I am currently at 1 1/2 on the low end and 1 1/8 on the high but the most I can get out of it according to the little GPS unit is 25 mph, I tried to lean it out a hair more and it just got hot and dropped .5 mph. I really think these are just real finnicky about the needle settings, I tried to richen the low end up 1/8 turn and it would not start at all, went back to 1 1/2 and it fired in 4 or 5 pulls, but it is still def not a ZEN. I would have to suggest you try to return at least the engine and try another one, or possibly try getting a different boat or replace engine with a zen. I am almost ready to just bite the bullet and buy a MOD 5 ZEN from WHH. I do really like the hull though, I have yet to dump it over and I have seen a bunch of cats and unlimited styles flip a lot so I am sticking to this HULL but i am almost done with the fugi. I really hope you can either get her started or return the engine for a new one.

Hairball
Old 07-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Dreamin Hemi

If you return the engine, they will send you a BRAND NEW one. When I received my new one, I immediately placed it on Ebay and sold it for a few dollars less than a Zenoah cost. Have been MUCH happier since. Sorry for your troubles, My Fugiwoogi started great once I was over that beginning hurdle.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Paul M

ORIGINAL: Hairballusmaximus

I am currently at 1 1/2 on the low end and 1 1/8 on the high but the most I can get out of it according to the little GPS unit is 25 mph, I tried to lean it out a hair more and it just got hot and dropped .5 mph. ..... I have yet to dump it over and I have seen a bunch of cats and unlimited styles flip a lot so I am sticking to this HULL but i am almost done with the fugi. I really hope you can either get her started or return the engine for a new one.

Hairball
Dude, no hull is going to flip at 25 mph. The only thing that needs to get dumped is the engine. I'd send that thing back so fast it would make their head spin. There's just too many good products out there to spin your wheels over junk. This hobby is too expensive to sit around frustrated over something you can't make work
Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
omra

Hi guys.A friend of mine here in the U.K got the rio to review for the magazine.We had the same issues as you.it would fire every now and then,very frustrating.In the end we made up a flywheel and fitted it to the engine(in front of the collet) now she starts all the time and gets a massive spark.The starter we used was the sullizan dynatron and a car battery.just an idea
Regards
omra