Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

A buddies disappointment - What $3000 does not get you

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

A buddies disappointment - What $3000 does not get you

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A buddies disappointment - What $3000 does not get you

Quote: I personally think you need to write a letter of apolagy to the builder & post it.
But I know that will never happen.
Most the time people don't like to admit they were wrong.
Well to all reading, "just remember" (You should never talk about things you are not 100% sure of)
LMAO.... [:'(] , Yeah Matt, I.D. the builder in your "open" letter of apology(seems you have been called out by one of his cronies),so's we can unmask "the truth" behind this story,LOL.... toyingaround,While we all may have been quick to pull the trigger on the builder,I can't honestly believe that ANY professional builder,thats willing to stake his rep. and build what the customer wants,(in this case,a 3,000 buck hard squeezed turd,) would actually do it like that "made to order"......seems to me that he just took advantage of "ol pete" and his misplaced enthusiasm,.... just my "opinion" take it or leave it
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Paul M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You make a couple valid points. 1) If the customer agreed to have all components external instead of in a box 2) Buyer should discuss problems with the builder before airing issues publicly. I get all that BUT

For someone to hold themselves out to the public as a "professional builder" and then half-***** that thing that bad...you can make all the excuses you want. I am amazed you would try to make this the buyer's fault. The pics speak for themselves.

PS

Surely to Gosh for 3 grand he could slap a little oil on a pipe[]
Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
schnipster

i am assuming by the post below this is an aeromarine product.....arent they awesome though????

"[b]I know Aeromarine and Top Secret hardware and that's not Top Secret pieces. [/b]"
Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: toyingaround

Hey Matt,
I think you need to call the builder to get the real story on this build, before you bash people openly on the internet,
as you have all the facts wrong.
There is more to the story then you are letting on in the posting.
You had no contact with the builder, only the buyer did, so how do you get off writing this stuff not knowing all the facts.
Just my two cents & I do know the full story.
Looks to me that the cable is not stuffed inside the collet all the way when Pete put it togetrher.
As the engine and cable was shiped seperately from the boat, so we know Pete or yourself had to reinstall it.
(what does that say)
QD pipes come unpainted, and raw steel, what would you like to have done.
People don't not know weather the customer is going to ceramic coat/paint/chrome there pipes, that is why some builders leave them raw steel.
These pipes will rust over night if not keep oiled and in dry air.
As far as the water pump/radio box and other little things, these were discussed between the customer & the builder.
As far as I can see the paint job sucks, over spray all over at the bends & on the underside.
I would not pay $500.00 plus for that job.
I agree on the black marker thing though, could have been done differantly or cleaned off.
The prop could have been damaged in shipment or when pete was putting it together, why try to blame the builder.
You can not say for sure the builder damaged it. FACT FACT FACT!
Come on now lets use our head and think before we point fingers.
I personally think you need to write a letter of apolagy to the builder & post it.
But I know that will never happen.
Most the time people don't like to admit they were wrong.
Well to all reading, "just remember" (You should never talk about things you are not 100% sure of)
If Pete had a problem, he should of dropped a dime and talked to the builder the day the boat arrived, not complain about things weeks after the delivery.
Cheers
Certainly very defensive there Carl. As a dealer I guess it is your place to be. (You might want to start complying with RCU rules and list yourself as a dealer by the way)

I personally think you need to write a letter of apolagy to the builder & post it.
Should I address this letter to you Carl? you sound to know more about the build than the builder.

I had plenty of respect for the builder. Petes first "RTR" boat that came through was disappointing to say the least. Several mistakes and no effort to make things right. Boat #2 speaks for itself. I am not on here trying to bash the builder. This is his interpretation of a RTR boat - not mine - I took the pictures and indeed listed my view alone.

Cable was an easy fix - true enough - but never seen a RTR where the motor and drive had to be installed by the end user. Pics were of boat EXACTLY as Pete rocked up to the lake with it "RTR".

As for the radio box and second missing water pump - indeed this is between the buyer and builder - I was not part of that conversation and never will be. I have just never seen a professional builder cut so many corners and let a customer down so much (though I guess I dont see an inexperienced customer as an "Opportunity" like you Carl).
Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
schnipster

who needs sit coms..this is great ....so is the an aeromarine or not...i am shocked that as soon as someone has a bad experience with a builder the lynch mob travels in packs....man every story has two sides.....too many times we hear about garbage work done, but we miss the parts like missing payments, bounced checks, crazy wait times for payments..etc i dont build boats, just own a biz and know how it works...even ferrari has sent out a bad engine or two....man jsut return the boat get it fixed or a refund and move on, everyone else just have a beer.....PS i have a boat for sale if you need one....lol

oh boy
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
mopartybob

We're not a lynch mob here shnips, but a loose-knit brotherhood of fanatics who have been burnt before by unscrupulous dealers and "professional builders",and without public or private forumsto I.D.these businessmen,they will continue to prey on the unwitting,non-informed public,.....fortunately,and thankfully,my HARD-EARNED buck is routed to reputable dealers and people thru which any forum identifies as such thru POSITIVE FEEDBACK, NO sit-com here buddy,but REAL LIFE facts..... this guy Pete got ripped-off and the builder should be identified for future reference,... [:-]
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Justaddwata

schnipster - The only thing Aeromarine about this boat is the Drive strut. No - it is not Aeromarine. My point was that (according to the buyer) the hardware package was reportedly all Topsecret - yet strut was Aeromarine.
Further - Neither boat had any payment issues (to my knowledge) - just a procrastinating builder (to my knowledge).

Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM
tmt32mj

schnipster,
Because aeromarine or TS made the hardwear for it doesn't mean they assembled those 2 boats. Those are widely used and very popular along with Speedmaster and Accutech.
What I know is this:
1- Mounting the servo that close to a HOTPIPE is just stupid.
2- Magic marker????? And nothing to seal the hole/support the pipe from the back????There's no excuse for it.
Bottom line is they can do this and charge 3 grands, they won't be getting my business.

For all who is still wondering who is the builder, READ ALL THE PREVIOUS POSTS ONCE MORE, CAREFULLY. You'll find out.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
toyingaround

Well,
Like i said, it should be between the customer & the builder, & not posted on here
The complete build was dicussed with Pete, and everything was agreed upon by the the customer (Pete).
Don't always be so quick to jugde a book by its cover.
FYI: I was asked by the builder to relay this info. as he has no access to reply. & is P- OFF due to your comments.
Pete was told it would have a TSB rudder setup only and it would have a Areomarine strut.
See what everyone does not know, is all the conversations between Pete & builder.
The radio box issue was discussed, along with everything else including the water pump issue ect...
I spent over a hour with the builder today on the phone, so I got one story & I am sure you got another from Pete.

I read alot of your post and see the same additude from you on just about every post.
Try helping people in a nice way instead of being that way.
I am sure you are a nice guy when you want to be.
There were alot of things done in this build I would never dream of doing when building myself,
but that does not say it was not all agreed upon between the two parties.
(how does anyone know)
Dealer or not, I am on RCU as a privite person and need not disclose anything to anyone if I don't want.
This is the first time I have left a post, most of the time I just sit back and read all the nonsence that goes on.
Seems it is more of a B- sesson then anything.
I don't think that was the whole idea behind building this site.
Everyone seems to forget, we are all different and do and say things differantly,.
Don't bash on someone just because they have a different option/build different then you (be it right or wrong).
See there is that additude and saying things you know nothing about. (inexperianced customer as a opportunity)
Come on get real!

Everyone's points a well taken.
I do agree with some of it, just needed to be handled in a better manner & not on here!
These are just my options and messeges be relayed by the builder.
Any problems call the builder and get the scoop from him.
Have a wonderful day
Cheers
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
stuch

Well,
Like i said, it should be between the customer & the builder, & not posted on here
The complete build was dicussed with Pete, and everything was agreed upon by the the customer (Pete).
Don't always be so quick to jugde a book by its cover.
FYI: I was asked by the builder to relay this info. as he has no access to reply. & is P- OFF due to your comments.
Pete was told it would have a TSB rudder setup only and it would have a Areomarine strut.
See what everyone does not know, is all the conversations between Pete & builder.
The radio box issue was discussed, along with everything else including the water pump issue ect...
I spent over a hour with the builder today on the phone, so I got one story & I am sure you got another from Pete.

I read alot of your post and see the same additude from you on just about every post.
There were alot of things done in this build I would never dream of doing when building myself,
(how does anyone know)
Dealer or not, I am on RCU as a privite person and need not disclose anything to anyone if I don't want.
This is the first time I have left a post, most of the time I just sit back and read all the nonsence that goes on.
Seems it is more of a B- sesson then anything.
I don't think that was the whole idea behind building this site.
Everyone seems to forget, we are all different and do and say things differantly,.
Don't bash on someone just because they have a different option/build different then you (be it right or wrong).
See there is that additude and saying things you know nothing about. (inexperianced customer as a opportunity)
Come on get real!

Everyone's points a well taken.
I do agree with some of it, just needed to be handled in a better manner & not on here!
These are just my options and messeges be relayed by the builder.
Any problems call the builder and get the scoop from him.
Have a wonderful day
Cheers
what are you the builders lawyer? either way the build looks like a 5th grader put it together. i'am always saying buy Whh or Bonzi for rtr's and guys got on my case for always pushing these builders. now you know why. Dan or Tony whould never and i mean never send out that kind of product. as a matter of fact Dan as well as Tony will build any kind of boat. Tony built two of my boats in the past that the only thing on them that were his Co's was the gas tank. and the were built flawlessly....
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
lineman1221

toyingaround: if the builder did nothing wrong and Pete asked for his boat to be built in a substandard manner. why wont you come right out and tell us who the builder is. better yet, why doesnt the builder join rcu and save his reputation? joining is not hard and it would say a lot about the mans charachter. the only reason im saying anything is because i put of building my thunderbolt because of my lack of experience in building boats and i wanted to have i professional build it.( i might just take chance and build it myself if this is what i might get back)
Raymond
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Justaddwata

The complete build was dicussed with Pete, and everything was agreed upon by the the customer
How on earth do you know that??

Carl - you see the irony of you sharing the sentiments of the builder here while trying to make a point about about "what other people agreed on".
I spent a few hours with Pete - I even took pictures of the "RTR" boat.

Or one party.

Actually Carl - it is a requirement of membership - dont agree - dont post

Yep - 3400 posts and never a helpful word Keep reading Carl there must be something good there.
Carl - I gladly give credit where credit is due - do a search with my user name and Expresscraft and see how I have promoted them in the past. I respected Tom and his quality - but what I have seen from him lately is not what I consider his best work - or even his good work - pictures speak for themselves - make all the excuses you will - that is not a professional build.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
cyclesoul

I think from reading all the posts that both sides have some good points. Overall I think though that the builder should really take some responsibility for some of the pure laziness in the build. At the end of the day this build represents his business, is he proud of that?? I wouldnt put my name on it thats for sure(and funnily enough I dont see a name on it either!). It is easy to hide behind saying that the build was discussed with the customer, but with an inexperienced customer who has sent you a boat to build because he cant/isnt confident to do it themselves, just what input, if any do they have in the builds completion or visualizing just what effects the recommendations will have on the end result? Min effort, max profit is written all over this boat.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
GRANT ED

You have got to be kidding! From my time on RCU Matt is the most helpfull person I have seen on here.
As for naming the builder I think most people would know who it is by now (there was a biiiig hint on the first page).
I agree they should come on here and defend their product.
I still think there is no excuse for the work we can see here. Even if the builder and owner discussed what they were going to do the builder should not have done work that was likely to cause problems later on (no radio box, servos too close to pipe etc). I'm sure the owner would have rather been told we wont do this because it will cause problems.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

Matt has been building R/C boats a very long time, longer then most of us on this site.
If he see's a boat build by some one saying they are a professional builder and looks it over one would think he might find 1 or 2 things and say the builder could have done some thing better .
But to find Matts grocery list of problem for a RTR boat costing $3000.00 should NOT happen !
( this boat should have been shipped, add gas, batteries, trim and go for that price ! )

To me the builder should have his own standards, even if the customer request less then he would build and say no I can't do that.
A Professional builder should never ship a product out that could be picked apart like this ! ( NOT PROFESSIONAL )

Matt's first post, NOT once did he say who the builder is. No problem here !
He did tell the buyer NOT to deal with with this guy again. PROBLEM HERE ! ( BUYER DID NOT LISTEN TO EXPERIENCE ???? )
Matt said that this is the second boat Pete the buyer bought and that the boats do not meet the standards of RTR market that should be expected for the price .
Matt made a list of problems he found wrong with the build. No problem here !

Well, the way I see this post is, Matt is teaching all of us to watch out for who we buy from. DO YOUR HOME WORK BEFORE BUYING !!

Matt, thanks for posting ( IT'S A LESSION )

Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 AM
stuch

i haven't been here that long. and i have to say Matt is one of the best posters and thread starters on this site...and i just found out now his name is Matt..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
ponddipper

WOW. I can appriciate poor Pete's position. $3000...??

The builder, if he is a true professional that depends on repeat business, should have known better and had the customers best interest in mind, which they clearly did not. That boat should have never left the store, period! Its obvious that Pete didnt really know what to expect nor ask for and Carl and Company (we all know who they are by now and if not PM me) took complete advantage of him. Im a noob and I know that boat is a piece of crap! Its a shame scum like this are allowed to continue to do business. I will certainly never ever buy from you all and I will do everything in my power to let everyone know not to do business with your company.

Carl, as a representative of your compnay (like it or not) your comments are down right offensive and only made your company look 100 times worse! As a result, I and a few friends with waaaay to much time on their hands, are starting a private web page complete with pictures, info on this this build, backed by this post with your unprofessional, ridiculous comments. Thanks Carl...your shockingly unprofessional attitude and comments prove to me and everyone else the company's complete lack of business ethics. For you to attack Matt and Pete like that is outragous! You should be fired!
Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 AM
quickdraw

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Actually Carl - it is a requirement of membership - dont agree - dont post
Sorry Carl but you have to do it. I was the same way in the car section with our earlier stuff. I was told after a few emails that I had to put something down saying I was from the company.

The customer I talked to after he got it. He was not happy at all. When he told me of the pipe being rusted. I told him I shoot them down with WD40 after I weld them and have never heard of one being bad. He said " This pipe looks like it been sitting in salt water and was not supposedly of the pics that was sent to me originally" He told me he also took the main body off of it and said it smelled like it had been used. He told me he stuck a Q-tip in it and got oil out of it. I asked him on the air comming in. He told me" Not much in the way of incomming." I than asked about the outlet air? His response was " It has some big holes in it on the outlet" I told him to try and run with no lid on it if he suspects a problem. I can tell you first hand on my System Cat. Big boat or not. YOU NEED COOLING AIR FLOW and I took care of this even before I ran it. I doubt he is going to get enough airflow into that motor area with the small vents up front?

JAW

Also have Pete relocate the coil to the stringer like they were originaly supposed to be. We supplied the bracket with it and the braided wire plus the extension for the Red lead. I see the braided wire in the pic and still the Red extension piece. The coil mount bracket is not ours. That came with the motor mount system. Mounting the coil up there will cause it or the bracket to break. I have seen this enough on our motors and on the Zens that were sent to me to be used, when we used to do conversion kits. It does not like the Frequency or harmonic buzz up there. Also. The braided wire is on the wrong side of the coil to work correctly. The Grounding lug is on the other ear of the grey coil. Unless ALL the anodizing has been removed from the bracket on both ends? I would switch it around.

I also see no brass shear bolt in the rudder blade mount. Meaning the rudder is probably going to start tipping up with use. With only the single bolt in it. On the throttle linkage setup, that is not a smart way to do it. You set EndPoint with the boat not running. When you run the boat it will flex side to side and front to back. Side to side will stress the butterfly shaft because of it having the solid stop at the other end of it while it is being twisted on the other end by the servo. And could stretch the hole enough to have the screw come loose and fall into motor or not close completly. There is also no zipties on any of the water fittings. Hard to tell by the pics, but does the stringer have clearance around the pulse holse going to the carb? If not ? This will rub through it and cause leanout condition. The servo by the header is a MAJOR NO! NO! Head pipe temps run around 950 to 1200 deg. at the header. If the boat is ran wide open for a long runtime? I would be afraid of it melting into the wideopen position with no control on throttle and no way than to shut it down.

Todd

Quickdraw
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 AM
mopartybob

AND another one BITES THE DUST...LOL... [X(]
Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 AM
korkka

ORIGINAL: ponddipper

WOW. I can appriciate poor Pete's position. $3000...??

The builder, if he is a true professional that depends on repeat business, should have known better and had the customers best interest in mind, which they clearly did not. That boat should have never left the store, period! Its obvious that Pete didnt really know what to expect nor ask for and Carl and Company (we all know who they are by now and if not PM me) took complete advantage of him. Im a noob and I know that boat is a piece of crap! Its a shame scum like this are allowed to continue to do business. I will certainly never ever buy from you all and I will do everything in my power to let everyone know not to do business with your company.

Carl, as a representative of your compnay (like it or not) your comments are down right offensive and only made your company look 100 times worse! As a result, I and a few friends with waaaay to much time on their hands, are starting a private web page complete with pictures, info on this this build, backed by this post with your unprofessional, ridiculous comments. Thanks Carl...your shockingly unprofessional attitude and comments prove to me and everyone else the company's complete lack of business ethics. For you to attack Matt and Pete like that is outragous! You should be fired!

I dont think it was Carl who built the boat...

...edit...

Cheers!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM
toyingaround

Matt is the one who started this whole mess, and I am respecting him as not to list the builder, but most everyone knows anyways.
Cheers
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
toyingaround

Hi Todd,
No problem here,
I did not have anything to do with building the boat,
I was just asked to cover a few items in the post for the builder.
Really did not thing it was going to grow into a full blow war of additudes
I really don't want anything more to do with this whole thing.
Cheers
Carl
Owner Plumkrazy RC Boats; Dealer for Expresscraft
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
toyingaround

Just like I said Matt, I talked to the builder about this post & the build for over a hour, that's all I said.
He gave me his side as I am sure Pete gave you his.
I never once said it was a proffesional build now did I, so don't put words in my mouth.
I don't like what it looks like either.
The builder only works of a Blackberry and for some reason can not get up on RCU, thats why I got stuck in the middle.
I guess if you don't like it, call the builder and dicuse it with him, it's that simple.
I am sure if that would have happened right off it would have been settled ASAP!

Anyways
Cheers
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
toyingaround

Hi Jryi,
No it was not me that built the boat, Thanks for your understanding anyways!
I just got stuck in the middle of this whole nasty thing, and was asked to relay a message by the builder.
Guess that was my mistake won't make that mistake again.
Thanks!
Cheers
Owner Plum Krazy RC Boats: Expresscraft dealer
Old 08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
toyingaround

Well guys I am through with this mess.
If I offended anyone, I apoligise I did not mean to.
I was just trying to relay a message from the builder & things got out of hand
It just goes to prove you are not allowed to have a opition. (we wonder why our world is messed up)
Everyone have a wonderful day it's been a pleasure.
Cheers
Owner Plum Krazy RC Boats: Expresscraft dealer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.