Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunderboat speed and prop questions

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Thunderboat speed and prop questions

Old 10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
JakeDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunderboat speed and prop questions

Eric Ext timing on my SS is 184 piston is 21 grams.You can get a mod zenoah piston from CC that is 20 grams also.Steve works on motors that have been modded buy some one else also.

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 05:17 PM
JakeDW

ORIGINAL: tmt32mj

FYI eric,
Wally set the XLS27 cat record, using a QD in a dragcat for it. His SS engines didn't break the record. His sprint cat didn't break it neither.

So do you know what the sprint cat ended up running?The vid does show the green drag cat with the QD motor thoes little 36 inchers are fast.

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
rcboateric
Banned

FYI eric,
Wally set the XLS27 cat record, using a QD in a dragcat for it. His SS engines didn't break the record. His sprint cat didn't break it neither.
To answer the origonal question. Ken Dutlinger won the Cincy race with my 6518/3. So it's 2 votes for the 6518. Try it and see.
LOL, maybe I'm wrong cuz in the past few months, Wally has been always talking about his new Sprint cat and SS engine and provided some of the vids in the forum, I'm confused why his Sprint cat with SS engine didn't break the record this time since that cat ran 78.4mph in the vid.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJXL5Vk88M

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/displa...bum=1034&pos=7
Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GPS speed are set by calculating the time it takes to travel either 20-30 feet( i can't remember the article). Take your GPS outside and start walking, see how far you go before it registered the speed.
SAW record are set by calculating the time it takes to travel 1/16 mile (or 330 feet). It doesn't matter if you hit 90 in the last 30 feet when it takes you 5 seconds (figurative speaking) to run 1/16 mile. You will not get the 90 MPH record even though your GPS says 90(assuming your GPS is dead on).
See the difference?
Beside, the QD/dragcat combo will go faster in the straight away than a sprint cat/SS combo(all other factors being the same). Even then the QD powered drag cat can't even break 78, what makes you think the SS powered sprint cat will set the record at 78.4?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 PM
JakeDW

Never mind

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Beside, the QD/dragcat combo will go faster in the straight away than a sprint cat/SS combo(all other factors being the same). Even then the QD powered drag cat can't even break 78, what makes you think the SS powered sprint cat will set the record at 78.4?
The best person to answer your question is Wally since he has had lots of testing info of his Sprint cat and he knows alot of SS engine, for mines, the best passed was 75 mph with a Redline engine, Drag cat has less weight and shorter size than Sprint cat, if I move all my stuff to a Drag cat, the GPS reading will show more than 75 mph for sure but I just hate to spend $800 for a cat when I can buy a rigger for $400.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:43 PM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately you're the only one who want to recognize the GPS reading as the record. Nobody else does, IMPBA and NAMBA included. Period.
If you think you're that close to the record, by all means go for it. This thread is for thunderboat and their speed/prop. Let's keep it that way.
Also please do your research before assuming somebody set a record with such and such. You know what they say ASSUME makes an A out of - and .
I'd like to stop here and apologize for hijacking this thread.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:19 AM
rcboateric
Banned

Unfortunately you're the only one who want to recognize the GPS reading as the record. Nobody else does, IMPBA and NAMBA included. Period.
If you think you're that close to the record, by all means go for it. This thread is for thunderboat and their speed/prop. Let's keep it that way.
Also please do your research before assuming somebody set a record with such and such. You know what they say ASSUME makes an A out of - and .
I'd like to stop here and apologize for hijacking this thread.
So you mean I should take my boat to IMPBA for speed proof for every adjustment, right?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Scott Schneider

Back on subject .... our local guys are doing well running the 6518/3 prop and going low to mid 50's

** As too my engines, I like BROAD power bands and WILDLY modified props
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

So you mean I should take my boat to IMPBA for speed proof for every adjustment, right?
Well, you are actually in NAMBA Country. The next SAWs event at Legg Lake is the first weekend of November. Come on down and see what your boat will do on the timed 330-foot course. Just over a 3 hour drive if you miss the traffic.

And don't forget the World Gas Championship Race at Sunset Park, right in your hometown, next week. Three days of all out racing, including Thunderboats under the lights!!! How cool is that???
Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 AM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: Scott Schneider

Back on subject .... our local guys are doing well running the 6518/3 prop and going low to mid 50's

** As too my engines, I like BROAD power bands and WILDLY modified props
Scott, I agree with that and Thanks for your replying.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM
fast9

Thanks for the prop help. I was already looking at the 6717 and will consider the 6518 also. Yes, this boat has the stock motor with the 257. Haven't had a chance to take her back out yet.
Whenever I talk speeds with friends, we always talk about straight line speed, but in oval racing trim. This boat right now is not real loose, and is still running the big turn fin aeromarine provided(I plan to try a smaller one).
A note on measuring speeds. I have used both a gps and a radar gun, and prefer the radar gun. If your boat hits some ripples just right and accelrates momentarily to a higher than normal speed, that is the only speed you will see from the entire run. If you use radar the operator can see the speed changing as the boat is coming at you and see what it is consistently going, not just a momentary peak.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:36 PM
phil6019
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Guys, I just wanted to chime in. I just finished breaking in a WWH Stingray Enforcer, M-5 mild mod, dry pipe, and with a Voodoo Banshee prop it ran 57 mph over the weekend ( 46mph w/ stock 75 prop) and handeled like it was on rails. I just ordered a 6518 Voodoo to try this weekend.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
painman

I am running the 6717/3 what is the Banshee? I have also tried the 2716 15 degree rake, rounded tips and only running 51.2 best in my cat. Also running the M5 mod Zen. I have been cupping on the 2716 and will try again.
Scott the locals that are running the Mid 50's with the 6518 is this a 2 or 3 blade and are these stock motors. what mods are they doing to the props, the M5 are weak on the torque but seem to rev higher RPM's,

Thanks

Randy [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
sportster445

I've got an Ivan's Boat Works Thunderboat:
52" x 24"
All wood 19lbs ready to run
stock Zenoah 260
Hanson 2" band pipe
6717-3 sb&p
53-54 all day long
Not the fasted,but I've brought home the wood. Finishes alot of heats with it.
Forgot to metion,this is in race trim. I've gone faster running some longer straight-a-ways.
Love to run my Thunderboat!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92067.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1241411  
Old 07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
phil6019
My Feedback: (2)

The voodoo banshee I think is a 7514 2 blade rounded and cupped. It had great top speed but the conditions were perfect that day. Has anyone ran the 6518 ?