Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

spektrum dsm2 dx3r dammage!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

spektrum dsm2 dx3r dammage!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM
V8Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spektrum dsm2 dx3r dammage!!!!!!

I too had a crash that I can half blame on the Spectrum Radio. I say half because I had 2 Spectrum DX-2 radios. The first one worked OK. So I bought a second one that didn't work well at all. It had a range problem and would go into failsafe and shut down the engines at the far end of the pond. In trying to find the problem I switched receivers and then transmitters. The failsafe was set but I had to use the servo reverse switch for setup and this affected where the servo ended up when it went into failsafe. I learned this the hard way. Failsafe meant 3/4 throttle with straight rudder right into the shore! Cheap AM radios have a better range than the Spectrum over water. The car and truck guys love them and I can see why. But they just don't work on the water.
I took it out and installed a JR synthesized FM radio. Hopefully, no more range problems.

Rick
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Don't know about you guys, but thats enough proof for me! Seems like FAAST is the way to go for 2.4
Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Mid-Mo Hobby Shop

Now I am Trying to find out the differences in Spektrum, Futaba, Airtronics and Nomadio that make them work so differently when it comes to the water . . . . . It kind of like a witch hunt

John @ Mid-Mo Hobby Shop
Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Dan S

I am quoting another thread in regards to the difference between Spektrum/JR and Futaba FASST technology.

Dan.

"They are using the same frequency spectrum but the technology in use behind each manufacturer differs substantially. The Spektrum system is DSSS or Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum. That system selects a channel and remains on that indefinitely until the signal is lost or removed. Futaba FASST continually shifts frequencies hundreds of times per second, so there are no signal conflicts or interruptions. Also Futaba has the lowest latency time as well. I did the research before I made the switch to 2.4 because I wanted the best regardless of who made the radio. This also included talking to both Futaba & JR/Spektrum techs and guess what, the JR/Spektrum people said they currently did not recommend their 2.4 radios for boat applications as they were aware of a reflectivity issue with water. I asked them if they planned to address this and they may in the future but that they primarily were focusing on the car guys at that time. I ran JR radios for a number of years & still think they have some of the best aircraft radios on the market but the FASST system is the way to go for boats for me."
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
sickmodelpowerboats
My Feedback: (1)

mid mo hobbyshop, john now you got me wanting that 4pk in ur shop!!! lol
Nick "sickmodelpowerboats"
Old 10-21-2008, 11:39 PM
mck22

I think you better buy that!!!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
FlogginHarvey

All I can say is Nomadio... not used the FASST system. It sounds similar to what i was told the Nomadio system does they both frequency hop multiple times per second...[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 10-24-2008, 03:50 AM
wayneuk01

here is the video of my crash with specktrum it just took off on full throttle ..yes the fail safe was pre set & checked before hand [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0moKCcULlk]cyclone crash dx3 style [/link]