Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Spektrum ????????

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Spektrum ????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:37 AM
madphil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum ????????

What is Spektrum ?
is that the trade name ?
Is the futaba FASST system classed as a Spektrum set ?...
there are many 2.4ghz systems out now can somebody clear this up
Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 AM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum ????????

madphil,
'Spektum' is the brand name of one of the 2.4 Ghz radio systems (the first one I think). Not a 'class' or 'style' of radio, just the manufacturer. All manufacturers have their own 'way' of doing things. Spektrum is no different, along with Futaba and all the rest of them. Each makes some aspect of their 'style' their own by patenting it, therefore making it very proprietary. It would be nice if you could pick and choose particular characteristics of each manufacturer and combine them, but not exactly something I'd hold my breath about, you know?
I tend to favor Spektrum. Why? Cuz' I've already got one and I don't plan on spending any more money for radios soon. Doesn't particularly mean I think they have the 'best' way of doing things, just that I'm cheap. Oh well, so what else is new?
- 'Doc
Old 12-16-2008, 05:06 PM
dicko

in 2.4 Ghz radios there are 4 main suppliers.

Spektrum
Futaba
Nomadio
Airtronic/Sanwa

They all have a slightly different signal setup, but the best one for boats is the Futaba FASST system, this system has the frequency continuously hopping frequencies across the 2.4 range at 1/100th of a second intervals. By doing this it cuts down on the chances of interference. Airtronics also use a similar system in their radio with built in 2.4Ghz, but their module for their M11 radio uses the same system as the Spektrum. The Spektrum system uses a DSM (DSS under Airtronics) system which basically scans for a free frequency on startup, locks onto that frequency & won't swap frequencies unless it gets interference on that frequency. For land based use this works great, for water based use it's not so great. The signal bounces off the water surface & confuses the receiver sending into failsafe instead of swapping the frequency (The signal is still from the Transmitter it expects it to be from). There are ways to minimize the chance of this, but there is always the risk of it kicking in.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
LtDoc

dicko,
I agree with you till you get to the part about Spektrum's DSM not being advisable for use on water because of signal reflections. You get those same signal reflection on land too. I've never had a problem with Spektrum's DSM and water use is all I've ever used it for. There can be occasional 'glitches' of course, but all radio systems have those.
- 'Doc
Old 12-16-2008, 06:19 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of boats are you running it in?.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
budman10
My Feedback: (2)

spec= junk.end of story no need to go on
Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: LtDoc

dicko,
I agree with you till you get to the part about Spektrum's DSM not being advisable for use on water because of signal reflections. You get those same signal reflection on land too. I've never had a problem with Spektrum's DSM and water use is all I've ever used it for. There can be occasional 'glitches' of course, but all radio systems have those.
- 'Doc

You need to call Horizon Tech support. Talk to a JR/Spektrum technician. They will tell you very clearly that they do not recommend the Spektrum systems for use on water. Your occasional glitches (which not ALL radio get nowadays) are your system telling you to listen to the folks who designed, sell, and service the radio.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:40 AM
MrMikeG

Spektrum is a brand name for the 2.4 ghz spectrum radio's.
DSS is Digital Spread Spectrum
DSM is Digital Spectrum Modulation
FHDSS is Frequency Hopping Digital Spread Spectrum
FASST is Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology
Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 AM
HOOTERS racing

ORIGINAL: budman10

LMAO futaba FASST all the way cost a little more but worth it

cheers
Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: budman10

I have been using "junk" for a few years now. Trusting some pretty expensive boats to it.

Never had a glitch with it.

Perhaps I just dont know any better
Old 12-17-2008, 04:16 AM
dicko

ORIGINAL: LtDoc

dicko,
- 'Doc
Doc,

I have had some serious issues with the standard spektrum receiver in FE, and Nitro boats. I won't trust them. I have had a glitch a couple of times with the pro, not sure if it was because I hit something under the water or if it was an issue with signal. but I'm looking at trying the Airtronics DSS next time out, and I'm checking prices on FASST systems too. Once you have a glitch, you won't trust it either. I love my M11 & will keep it for surface (Buggies & Bikes), but I don't think I'll use it much longer in boats.

Cheers
Jason
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
budman10
My Feedback: (2)

everone has ther own answer some good some bad dont beat a dead horse let them buy one and sell it after thay feger its junk!!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
juicr

This topic pops up at least once a month. It is a well know fact that the Spectrum brand radio does poorly in boat applications. The Futaba Fasst and the new Airtronics 2.4 both have the channel hopping feature which makes these systems rock solid on water.