Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

LLumar 1/8th topic

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

LLumar 1/8th topic

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LLumar 1/8th topic

Just purchased a LLumar 1/8th for a great price, Less than half new ! Granted i have read all i can find about this boat. Some positive some negative. I would like to hear some opinions and comments, on what Not to do and what to do. To make this boat Better than stock. The boat was used only one time and is about two years old. Is it possible to race such a boat, Or is it best left as a sport boat. My starting fleet consists of WHH Team PRO MOD 5, and this LLumar. New to boating, but really like the looks of this Hydro. Any comments ?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Jamming

Default RE: LLumar 1/8th topic

Difficult to find info on this boat, Did they build it for a short time.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 PM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for any info on the Miss Bud, and the Miss Elam,,,same boats, different paint.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Jamming

Thank you ! Doby ! Didn't know that ! Noob !
Old 12-25-2008, 08:00 AM
dirt kicker

how about some pics ?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Proboat 772

ORIGINAL: Jamming

Just purchased a LLumar 1/8th for a great price, Less than half new ! Granted i have read all i can find about this boat. Some positive some negative. I would like to hear some opinions and comments, on what Not to do and what to do. To make this boat Better than stock. The boat was used only one time and is about two years old. Is it possible to race such a boat, Or is it best left as a sport boat. My starting fleet consists of WHH Team PRO MOD 5, and this LLumar. New to boating, but really like the looks of this Hydro. Any comments ?
The boat really isn't designed for racing, but can be a lot of weekend fun.

With the stock motor, hull modifications and money for hardware upgrades, the boat has the potential to run 50+ mph and handle well. Stock it should run 35 to 40 mph.

Read this link for more info and discussion. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...tm.htm#6378471

Dick T
Old 12-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Jamming

I will post some pics, When i get it. Look under recently sold items for boats. Nice fella and he claims the boat has only one tank ran thru it, Looks new in pictures.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You would not find the boat competitive in any sport hydro race. Sure you could run it but it would not be able to hold its own against the proven race designs of the Insanes, PI's, Whiplashes, and Stryker hydros out there. Might be a bit like rocking up to Daytona with a Taurus.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:59 PM
misshydro

Ha hay!! Daytonas are way better then a Taurus!! Taurus are junk!!! I've done four motor overhalls in those junkers!![:'(][:@] Just remember justaddwater that Carol shelby done a Daytonas in the late 80's-eary 90's Oh the old 69-70 daytona's you couldnt touch or catch it. Number one on the NASCAR track in winnings!! But justaddwater has a point go with a race proven hull.That proboat there not ment for racing.. The CG is all wrong in them..plus they dont have adjustable struts eighter..[:@]
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Jamming

Thank You 772 ! I am looking forward to the challenge, Love tweaking, Been flying Helicopters for a few years and there all about minor changes making a huge differnce. Thank You for the link. Great Stuff ! I do have one question, When moving the engine forward 1/2 inch do you have to get a longer drive cable ? And where are you buying your parts ? I would like to upgrade the pipe and strengthen up the hull first. I have a couple of new props ordered from WHH 70mm, Will these work ? 3-blade and a 2 blade aluminum.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM
munro1656

Might be a bit like rocking up to Daytona with a Taurus.
I think misshydro missunderstood this sentence ????
Old 12-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: munro1656

Might be a bit like rocking up to Daytona with a Taurus.
I think misshydro missunderstood this sentence ????
Indeed. I was referring to Daytona speedway with a ford Taurus - http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...eedweeks_2009/ But it all worked out.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Jamming

I understand there is not much respect for this boat, But even being a new rc boater i find it hard to believe this vessel could never be a race boat. I have read plenty of folks doing 50+ mph with a mounted gps. What makes it a non racer. For me that sounds like a challenge if this boat does indeed have serious issues. Is it because it didnt cost 2 grand or is it people are NOT running this boat. I got it for $525.00 and a claim of one tank run and the boat looks new. Was it a waste of money was it a poor beginners choice, I dont know, But i will tweak it to 50mph because i have seen proof that it can be done. I also realize that it's not just straight speed thats important, But again i have heard comments "Like" Turns like its on rails. Granted i don't think it's worth the $1500 msrp but i do think it's worth $525.00 and will make a decent race boat with the right mods and patience.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:12 PM
soundguykaraoke50

this boat was made to be a weekend cruiser,the placement of the motor wont let the boat fly,it isn't properly balanced to race.have fun with her,that's what proboat designed her for,a fun boat not race ready.a three piont hydro is one that runs on the two front sponsons and thr third point is the prop.your boat wont lift the rear because of its weight is all wrong to race.it should give you about 30-35mph in its stock form.have some fun and run her as is.

when you are ready to race,there are some great hulls that are a good starting platform out there,not the proboat.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Jamming

I am not completly new to rc boats, I raced tunnels for 5 years back in the eightys and would like to start a build this winter and have WAY to many choices, I enjoyed your input and agree, thats what i bought the boat for, But as we all do, i will try and get it balanced and moving. I intend on moving the engine forward and playing around with the turn fin, front wing . What do you recommend for a racing hydro ? In Gas !
Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 AM
soundguykaraoke50

check out rc boat-works,the stryker hydro is a great boat,it is a fast proven hull.insane also makes a hydro.almost every hull manufacture has a racing hydro in there line
Old 12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Proboat 772

Thank You 772 ! I am looking forward to the challenge, Love tweaking, Been flying Helicopters for a few years and there all about minor changes making a huge differnce. Thank You for the link. Great Stuff ! I do have one question, When moving the engine forward 1/2 inch do you have to get a longer drive cable ? And where are you buying your parts ? I would like to upgrade the pipe and strengthen up the hull first. I have a couple of new props ordered from WHH 70mm, Will these work ? 3-blade and a 2 blade aluminum.
You will have to fabricate new mounts if you move the engine along with a extended drive shaft. I incorporated a bellcrank throttle system at the same time as the Proboat cable is nothing but a problem. You will also have to remove the idle screw bracket on the carb for clearance. Removing the water pump, going with only one high torque steering servo in the box will also go a long way to improving the balance. I've beat on my boats pretty good and the hulls have held up well. The only strengthening I'd recommend is to lay up some cloth and epoxy resin where the engine rails join the bottom hull and top deck. If you do this, the hull should hold up fine.

You'll find a number of people that have nothing good to say about the boat on this site, but with with some TLC the boat can be made to handle pretty well. Again, it's not designed for racing as the big top intake produces a lot of drag. Attached photo an video link of the BUD but your boat is the same thing.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Bud-a...#theater_title

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83884.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1096898  
Old 12-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Jamming

Thank You 772 ! The video is great, Do you know what mods are done to the boat in the video. That was plenty fast for what i want it to do, I also like the bellcrank set-up, I have a small lath, I shouldnt have any problem building the same set-up. Is it a must to move the engine forward or can i get my boat set-up fairly well, Using the front wing mod and changing the rudder and maybe adding some weight. I wil pull the engine when i get the boat and do the glass work first, Thinking about just adding a lexan wing to the front for downforce, I have seen people just connect it directly to the stock non-adjustable wing, Whats your take on this. Thank you !
Old 12-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Proboat 772

Thank You 772 ! The video is great, Do you know what mods are done to the boat in the video. That was plenty fast for what i want it to do, I also like the bellcrank set-up, I have a small lath, I shouldnt have any problem building the same set-up. Is it a must to move the engine forward or can i get my boat set-up fairly well, Using the front wing mod and changing the rudder and maybe adding some weight. I wil pull the engine when i get the boat and do the glass work first, Thinking about just adding a lexan wing to the front for downforce, I have seen people just connect it directly to the stock non-adjustable wing, Whats your take on this. Thank you !
Starting at the rear
1 Speedmaster dual pickup rudder - need to modify Proboat standoff bracket to accept.
2 Sharpen strut front and rear - shim rear of strut .080" or more so when boat is placed on a flat surface you can put a business card under the front edge of the strut.
3.6518 3 Stainless Prop sharpen and balance
4 Remove Water Pump
5 Remove both steering servos and replace with one Z4800T JR high torque
6 Use one of the 590 steering servos for throttle with bellcrank actuated
7 set rear wing at 10 degree positive angle of attack ( this can be fine tuned if needed)
8 Replace the clutch with a square drive collet or adapter
9 Replace exhaust header with a good wrap to center one. (You will need to modify cowl for this ). Move pipe as far forward as you can!! Mod pipe bracket as req'd
10 Replace tuned pipe if budget allows and add Stinger Muffler
11 Replace turn fin with more efficient design
12. Moving engine would gain 1/2 CG forward balance - Optional
13.Add Cannard Spoiler of Lexan or aluminun set at 40 degrees
14 Change Carb for 257 if budget allows ( Optional -1 inch hole in cowl at carb opening will aid breathing)
14 There is no weight in any of my boats - I prefer to work with aerodynamics for the handling issues
Now go break in that engine patiently and after 4 or 5 tanks you should be able to run wide open all day...

Dick T.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Jamming

Thank You Sir ! I really want to thank you for being so much help ! You are a standup guy and add to this great hobby, I will make a shopping list and get it ordered before the boat arrives. Is there one place i can get the pipe from and 6518 prop and the speedmaster dual pick-up rudder from. The carb i think i can get from WHH. If you have time please let me know. Again thank you for all your help. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Proboat 772

Thank You Sir ! I really want to thank you for being so much help ! You are a standup guy and add to this great hobby, I will make a shopping list and get it ordered before the boat arrives. Is there one place i can get the pipe from and 6518 prop and the speedmaster dual pick-up rudder from. The carb i think i can get from WHH. If you have time please let me know. Again thank you for all your help. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Forgot to mention shimming the prop strut. Reread the above number items (2) on this

Bh Hanson can help you on the exhaust. http://www.bhhanson.com/

You can deal direct with speedmaster on the rudder - make sure to specify the horn arm is on the right side http://www.rossisales.com/index.html

Propshop propeller http://dasboata.com/

Carb - many sources on this item.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Jamming

Thinking of the black widow kit, Has a tuned pipe header and 5+ bolt on hp. ? What pipe should i buy for the hydro, I know i need the header to center because of your pic, But what pipe. Will the black widow kit work ! Sounds like a decent deal at 329.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Proboat 772

Wrap to center header needs a "0" band pipe. Talk to Al at Hanson and he can give you guidance on exhaust and what to expect from his engine. Performance is reduced with wrap to center pipe because you are limited as to how short you can cut it.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:45 PM
painman

Jamming; I have the ELMS pro boat (like yours) and love the boat, follow the information given and it will be a huge help for a starting point. But why stop there, use your boating skills and continue to work on the performance of the boat.
It may not hang with the insane boat, but at this time I belive that if you can run the 26 zen.at WOT, with the 257 carb then there is room for more speed. You will notice that the turn fin makes a huge difference in the Hydro boats, try different shapes and sizes, you will see what i mean.
Good luck and keep testing

Randy
Old 12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Jamming

Thank You Randy, I have almost a unlimited supply of materials i can fab for differn't turn fins. Including Titanium. More than likely i will make it out of aluminum and use some of the pics i have seen, The only differnce i will do, is a breaking turn fin. Beacuse i saw the damage it can do without it. The weather here is out of control we have more snow than i have seen since 1979, No UPS now for 3 weeks so i hope to see the boat sometime in january, So i will put off ordering supplys for now, But as soon as the weather breaks i will post some pics a if you guys don't mind start a build thread for support. Thank You !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.