Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New guy on boats!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New guy on boats!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy on boats!

Hello guys,first time posting on the boat section!From a little kid i had a thing for boats!I really love v-deeps!I haven't messed around with boats before,i can say that i hardly understand the boating terms.My experience is on nitro cars,monsters and 1/5 gas cars.Now i think is the time to get in to the boat scene!Is it better to get an rtr boat because i don't know a thing,or a hull and go from there?Can you sudjest me any v deeps from 64 inches and up?RTR or hulls....
Old 01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New guy on boats!

Port is: left
Starboard is: Right
Transom is: The supporting back
Keel is: Center line of bottom
Bow is: the most forward front
Abaft the beam is: Just behind the widest part of boat
The beam is: The widest part of boat
Gunnel is: Above the deck on the sides
Draft is: How much is below the water line in depth
Freeboard is: How much is above the water line
Stringer is: The inner frame support
Engine stringer: Support for engine also called rails
Inboard : refers to internal engine
Outboard : refers to a engine outside the transom
outdrive : refers to a gear drive system mounted on transom
v-drive : Refers to drive from lower hull or out the bottom
Surface drive : No gear's, direct drive out transom allowing prop to run with the center hub out of the water

There is about a hundred more, But those will get you started !
Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Bbbutch

Here is a pic I made up to help get me started and I just copied Jamming's list. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75288.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1103480  
Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM
patriktegelberg

Elaborate on "gunnel" please.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Jamming

Term's of maritime are often confusing. Ever step off a dock and into a boat. The area you had to throw you leg over is a Gunnel, On a tug it's called the bullworks. On a fiberglass boat it's Gunnel. The gunnel can often be only a few inches high, Like in a Bass boat or a John boat. If there is no gunnel then its called hull Riser. Any side side of the boat above the deck to improve freeboard is a gunnel. So when you take your hatch off you RC boat the side you can put your hand into, On the side could be considered the Gunnel. But of course on a real boat of the same type does not have a huge hatch to remove, So that area is called the riser. Also i didn't mention that when someone refers to Aft, That is anywhere behind the beam "Widest part" Same as abaft the beam.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Giorgos_cupra

Thank you guys for the terms!Also that pic made a lot of things clearer,especially for the trims!I'm feeling a little more comfortable now.So,which is a good boat for me?I want power(as everyone) and ideally be 72 inches...
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
jacob711

there really isn't any good rtr boats around, everyone builds their own

the average gas boat size is 46" and use single engine (generally zenoah) 72" is fairly big and you would be best off with twin engines or maybe quads but that gets fairly expensive

i believe sonic racing will build boats rtr http://www.sonicracingaustralia.com/prodir.htm
Old 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
stuch

bonzi sports sells a hugh v hull boat. you're looking at like $5,000- $6,000 to run twins and get her moving fast.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
budman10
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Jamming

Port is: left
Starboard is: Right
Transom is: The supporting back
Keel is: Center line of bottom
Bow is: the most forward front
Abaft the beam is: Just behind the widest part of boat
The beam is: The widest part of boat
Gunnel is: Above the deck on the sides
Draft is: How much is below the water line in depth
Freeboard is: How much is above the water line
Stringer is: The inner frame support
Engine stringer: Support for engine also called rails
Inboard : refers to internal engine
Outboard : refers to a engine outside the transom
outdrive : refers to a gear drive system mounted on transom
Surface drive : No gear's, direct drive out transom allowing prop to run with the center hub out of the water

There is about a hundred more, But those will get you started ! thanks never new that lol

Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
JCAustralia

Giorgos

Why do you want such a large boat as a first boat?

JC
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
in-d-boat

Try here: http://www.whobbies.com/ Warehouse Hobbies.com

In-D-Boat
Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Technically, a Vee-drive is where the engine is pointing in the wrong direction and uses gearing or belts to a shaft that runs rearward to the transom.
A surface drive can have gears, either over-,under- or directly driven. It is where the drive comes out at, through the transom. A sub-surface drive has the prop under the hull or below the water's suface.
As for what's available in Greece, we do have a few Greek members in here that may be able to help you out.
Also, it's known as a Deep-Vee or to some, a mono-hulled boat.
One easy way to remember port from starboard is that port and left both have 4 letters. Maybe stupid I know but it worked for me.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: JCAustralia

Giorgos

Why do you want such a large boat as a first boat?

JC

I agree with JC, Giorgos my first boat was The Rio 51 To me that was big and I learnt so much about boating just from that boat even after only 6 months in this sport Im still learning about it. So m8 just an Idea for you.

And Ron.

One easy way to remember port from starboard is that port and left both have 4 letters. Maybe stupid I know but it worked for me.
In Australia we think of after you buy a bottle of Port and you drink it all Guess what.. No Port Left.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Thank you guys for all your help!I really appreciate it!Searched a little bit around yesterday,to see what i can find.I saw the bonzi fountain 64 and 84 if i remember corect.Pretty nice hulls and 1600 for the 64 doesn't sound bad.But it has a single zen,and i don't think it will be able to move very fast.Back in the days,i have found a 72'' hull for 350,but i can't remember the site.What scares me is all the drive and gearbox if i don't take the rtr route.I mean,i don't know if i can pull it of myself.In cars i have much more experience.I even made my own 1/5 gaser on road.

I want a big boat,even as my first,because i messed around with nitros and i;m kinda sick of anything ''small''.I know,everyone has a different opinion on sizes(especially women)...I guess,under pressure i could settle for a 64 but i'm sold on the 72

Ah,one more thing.If i get a 72 hull,can i put a dirt bike engine,say 50 to 70cc?Or twins?I don't know,don't flame me,i'm just asking,because i don't know if it is even possible....
Old 01-05-2009, 06:59 AM
JCAustralia

Giorgos

You are an ambitious person .

My retrieval boat is 72inch. I sit on it and use oars to power it. Speed is about 2 mph but I push it to 3mph when my rc boat is sinking in the middle of the pond

There is a thread about a guy in Cyprus who bought a boat from Sonic Racing and he was very happy about it. I just can't find the thread. May be someone else may help.....

Cheers

JC
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Giorgos_cupra

I searched around again,and come up with a few questions.If i get a 72 hull,are there ready to be fitted trims and ruder?Also do hulls have the prop output set?I mean if i get a boat with a single prop setup and i want to put duals?As in dual engines....As for the engines,what is more needed,torque or max rpm?I would love to put 2 4-stroke engines in there.But those wont go past 8-9k

Edit:JCAustralia put a couple of zens in there!Much more relaxing ride!Oars have their advantages too...Peck exercising,delts etc
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Giorgos_cupra

I searched around again,and come up with a few questions.If i get a 72 hull,are there ready to be fitted trims and ruder?Also do hulls have the prop output set?I mean if i get a boat with a single prop setup and i want to put duals?As in dual engines....As for the engines,what is more needed,torque or max rpm?I would love to put 2 4-stroke engines in there.But those wont go past 8-9k

Edit:JCAustralia put a couple of zens in there!Much more relaxing ride!Oars have their advantages too...Peck exercising,delts etc
Giorgos,

most hulls will need to have the transom drilled for hardware, trim tabs, rudder, strut or stinger. You can, if the hull design allows, drill and fit two outdrives, normally use counter rotating props when using this configuration, which all starts to get expensive.

For the engines, four strokes commonly available will be too heavy, too big and not powerful enough.

Most tuned Zenoahs will run in excess of 17000 RPM, that is the kind of range we work in. Some higher, some lower.

For a first boat, I'd advise that you stick with something fairly common, and also something fairly simple. The commonest and most simple set up is something along the lines pf a single Zenoah with tuned pipe and single prop.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Giorgos_cupra

Glenn i understand that as a new guy i need something simple.But i'm kinda of a weird person on rcs....For instance i made my own 1/5 gas car from scratch...You know,if something involves a built with something out of the ordinary then i'm dead on!I tried very hard to get an rtr and get out of all the trouble and that unknown sector to me i'm walking in,but i can't help it!You see,it only took a couple of posts to switch from rtr to just hull....What can i say....

As for the engines,what is the maximum weight a 72 can handle?I'm gonna look around for engines...I got some leads there
Old 01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try an inline zenoah that will push either of your hulls pretty well they come from bonzi to name one source.You could even use two inlines in one of those big boats if you have the money.But i agree with the others a simple setup would be better for a first boat and no need to go so big,you can get boats as small as 46" that will handle the sea once set up right.
Mart
[link]http://www.bonzisports.com/zenoah/zenoah_inline.html[/link]
Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Giorgos_cupra

I think inlines are out of my budget....Also i don't have anything against smaller boats.It is just a matter of personal taste...
Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a set of twins then(ZENOAH),just make one counter rotating or pay for them to do it for you,my mate has a cto3 cat with twins and its not far of 60 mph at the moment.
Mart
[link]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbG-or4vzU&feature=channel_page[/link]
Old 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: Giorgos_cupra

Glenn i understand that as a new guy i need something simple.But i'm kinda of a weird person on rcs....For instance i made my own 1/5 gas car from scratch...You know,if something involves a built with something out of the ordinary then i'm dead on!I tried very hard to get an rtr and get out of all the trouble and that unknown sector to me i'm walking in,but i can't help it!You see,it only took a couple of posts to switch from rtr to just hull....What can i say....

As for the engines,what is the maximum weight a 72 can handle?I'm gonna look around for engines...I got some leads there
If you can build a 1/5th scale car from scratch, you won't have any problems building any boat, Nice job ! Have any pics of the car. Here is my other hobby, From scratch.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
jacob711

theres some slightly cheaper inlines here ($700) http://redlinemotors.us/#/modifiedmotors/4522057162

another option may be a blata/polini minimoto engine but you wont get as much performance as zenoahs and there is quite a bit of work involved to fit one in a boat (mounts, need diaphragm type carby and manifold, tuned pipe, collet)
http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?...roducts_id=129
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Jamming,those helis look pretty damn nice!Did you make them yourself?I mean did you manufacture all the parts needed?Nice job!

My 1/5 car is on phase one right now with no shocks.I was planning to put shocks around easter,but i don't think it will happen now i decided to buy a boat....I even have the wishbones sketched on the aluminum,waiting to be cut.I have to cut 8 wishbones with the dremel on a 8mm alu...That's gonna take a while[:'(].Here are some pics of it:

Phase 2 of the car consists of:4 medium height adjustable shocks with dual wishbones,new 6061 lightweight aircraft aluminum chassis,termination of rear solid axle and use of dogbones and probalby a custom made exhaust.It's alla about the money.If my eco permits i'll be changing it soon
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Jamming

Nice ! Bet it hauls ! No i didnt build the parts for my helicopter's, That would require a bunch of casting's and 100 grand CNC machine. But the painting and building a RC scale helicopter is no easy task, But crazy fun i can tell you. I have sold the Augusta 109 and fly only pod and boom now. The 500e died a mechanical failure, The bad thing about helicopters ! One small part failure and your done ! I noticed there is a few Gas 1/8th cars available now coming from overseas. Maybe you can buy some of there shocks. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.