Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Drowned my motor for the 1st time

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Drowned my motor for the 1st time

Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 AM
BarnacleNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drowned my motor for the 1st time

Yea, i took my boat out again to the estuary, wasnt bad, a little wind so there was some small waves. And yea, went to take a turn with the boat, and it hit a wave wrong and flipped. I wasnt going too fast either, just unfortunate i think. Well the boat doesnt have a cover on it, so the motor was full of water. hopefully it can take it. i did my best to drain it then and there. but didnt have any of my tools on me.

I just took the boat apart and flushed the motor as good as i could to get all the water out using WD40. Is this bad practice? Whats the best thing to do in this situation.

EDIT: oh i must add, these boats are great for your fitness i havnt been swimming this often in a long time
Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 AM
painman

Default RE: Drowned my motor for the 1st time

There is no need to tear motor apart, get it running ASP. Pull plug, turn boat over pull crank a few times to get all the water out. Then proceed to crank as normal. Make sure the fuel has no water, most of the times in a flip water dosn't get in gas. The important part is the radio box, make sure it was water tight and no water got in. If so allow to dry before trying to crank.
usually after a few minute you are back out on the lake, it is best to get running ASP so the remaining water in the case will burn out.

Good luck and it will happen again.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
soundguykaraoke50

i hate to hear that you are swimming out to get your boat.this is a very unsafe thing to do.do you know how many times i hear about a r/c boater loosing there life to rescue a toy.its not worth it dude.get a better way to retrive your boat than swimming.also if your boat has enough floatation,use a fishing rod,or an electric boat to bring in your gas boat,
Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Paul M

There's at least 1 report every year of someone drowning while going after an R/C boat here in the states. If you must swim for it, please wear a life vest.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 PM
MrMikeG

Best practice is to start it again and let it run long enough to build up some heat that will dry the motor our from the inside! Even if you don't throw it back in you must start it before leaving the pond, the hardened bearings will get surface rust very quickly!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 PM
45deepvee

i always swim to get my boat, but where i run it i can stand chest deep in the water. i also dont run it far offshore. try to keep it fairly close to me as i dont race mine so i feel no need to run it liek 30000 yards out. i normally stay within 100feet of myself.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
t00fatt

I had to swim for my boat once, but I use my boat in a secluded saltwater lagoon behind my house where I go swimming normally.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
brodjack

ORIGINAL: Paul M

There's at least 1 report every year of someone drowning while going after an R/C boat here in the states. If you must swim for it, please wear a life vest.
Always have a chuckle,and a sigh, when i read the 'dont swim for your boat thing' are you guys so unfit a short swim is so dangerous?
Swimming is a great exercise,you shouldnt be so lucky its warm enough to take the plunge[8D]
Brod..
Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 PM
munro1656

ORIGINAL: soundguykaraoke50

i hate to hear that you are swimming out to get your boat.this is a very unsafe thing to do.do you know how many times i hear about a r/c boater loosing there life to rescue a toy.its not worth it dude.get a better way to retrive your boat than swimming.also if your boat has enough floatation,use a fishing rod,or an electric boat to bring in your gas boat,
keep in mind what side of the world we are on you can swim almost all year round here without being to cold so IF you can swim we just jump in and grab our boats
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Paul M

You know. I really don't want to start something but it's comments like these that really pi$$ me off. Do you not realize how many people read these posts? I am sure alot of people are plenty able to swim for their boat. I am included in that number. I am sure that in some parts of the world the water is plenty warm and the boater is in good shape and there are no worries about swimming for a boat. BUT if the water is cold and the boater is not in the best of shape, tragedy can and will strike.

Comments like these can encourage people to take chances they shouldn't.

You would be amazed the difference between swimming in 70 or 80 degree water and 50 degree water. It can mean the difference between swimming and drowning.

Try grinning and making fun about people being cautious to someone who has lost someone to a drowning accident. I have lost someone to drowning and it was this kind of attitude that caused it.

Shut your mouth before you get somebody killed.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try and build one of these this summer. Looks fun to build, easy, light, and cheap. One sheet of plywood, some glue and varnish, couple days outside under a tree and i guess about 75 bucks. Sounds fun to me and I wont have to get wet. A special bunk for the rc boat can easily be added across the top. Easy to tie over the roof of a car.

[link=http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm#XX1]One Sheet Boat Plans[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86345.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1129907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63595.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1129908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92554.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1129909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63266.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1129910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55433.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1129911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp95097.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1129912  
Old 02-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Paul M

I saw those plans on ebay and liked them. Almost bought the plans but just no time to build it. You should post a thread when you put it together.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
45deepvee

You know. I really don't want to start something but it's comments like these that really pi$$ me off. Do you not realize how many people read these posts? I am sure alot of people are plenty able to swim for their boat. I am included in that number. I am sure that in some parts of the world the water is plenty warm and the boater is in good shape and there are no worries about swimming for a boat. BUT if the water is cold and the boater is not in the best of shape, tragedy can and will strike.

You would be amazed the difference between swimming in 70 or 80 degree water and 50 degree water. It can mean the difference between swimming and drowning.

Try grinning and making fun about people being cautious to someone who has lost someone to a drowning accident. I have lost someone to drowning and it was this kind of attitude that caused it.

why dont you SHUT YOUR MOUTH and realize that if someone went swimming in 50 degree water even if not retreiving a boat they would be in trouble. dont bark out stupid orders at people because your not smart enough to realize that if the water cold stay the hell out of it
Old 02-07-2009, 11:44 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

The boat doesnt need plans. I pasted the link in there if you follow it, it shows how it is drawn out on the plywood to cut. It's pretty cool. Shows you how to build one all online for free.

If I do get the time and materials, I sure will make thread that would be part of the fun for me. I figure one sheet of plywood cant be all bad to try out, and its not too complicated.[8D]

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm#XX1

Theres four or five other designs at that link too, one is kinda funny...the captains hat or somethig its called...
Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 AM
brodjack

Anyone who has sense enough to swim for their boat or whatever in very cold water or being a very weak swimmer also and does, must be kinda stupid.Children excepted.
But I thought we are all adults here,with good sense.
Unless its natures way of clearing out the stupid people?

life has much.much more dangerous pastimes and hobbies than RC boating risks.
I'd also take a bet more people are killed every year to and fro from the lake in their cars.
We'd better tell them not to go,just in case....

Brod..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 AM
martno1fan

Hey Brod i must be stupid i went in fairhaven lake in Febuary a year or so ago,it was only thigh deep mind but dam it was cold thank god i didnt have to swim .Joking aside i can see where the guys coming from as regards the dangers,never do it if your alone for starters.Boats have sharp parts on them so swimming for boats can have its dangers apart from the water itself,common sense id say is the key.If you must swim use some rope to hook upto the boat so someone can pull it back to shore or tow it yourself and if needed wear a life vest.I like those little plywood boats on that link,now that would be a fun little project for any boat club or group of boaters to build and use as a rescue boat.

As regards drowned motors as said remove the fuel lines and plug then turn upside down and pull the cord ,once waters out replace plug and fuel lines and start her up and run her,if you cant run her on the water at least start it for a few seconds then when you get home hook her upto a water supply and run her for 5 mins to dry everything out.Then i remove the plug squirt wd40 in there and put a few drops of oil in there and pull cord to get the parts lubricated.
Mart
Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Paul M

ORIGINAL: jetpack

The boat doesnt need plans. I pasted the link in there if you follow it, it shows how it is drawn out on the plywood to cut. It's pretty cool. Shows you how to build one all online for free.

If I do get the time and materials, I sure will make thread that would be part of the fun for me. I figure one sheet of plywood cant be all bad to try out, and its not too complicated.[8D]

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/index.htm#XX1

Theres four or five other designs at that link too, one is kinda funny...the captains hat or somethig its called...

Thanks for the link. Like you said - only 1 sheet of plywood, what have you got to lose[8D] I didn't know the design was free. Almost spent like 10 bucks for the plan on ebay
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
BarnacleNZ

wow looks liek there has been plenty of interest here! lol About the swimming, i dont see a problm with swimming. If i was a bad swimmer or it was too cold i would definatly not go swimming. I was in an estuary at high tide... 3.5m deep in the channel and 1.2m where my boat was. 27degree C water temp. and plenty of onlookers...

About the motor, i didnt run it right away, but i did get it nice and warm the next morning, ran it for about 5mins on the driveway.

Thanks for the tips, and the delightfull angry posts it kept me entertained for a few mins
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 AM
munro1656

ORIGINAL: BarnacleNZ

wow looks liek there has been plenty of interest here! lol About the swimming, i dont see a problm with swimming. If i was a bad swimmer or it was too cold i would definatly not go swimming. I was in an estuary at high tide... 3.5m deep in the channel and 1.2m where my boat was. 27degree C water temp. and plenty of onlookers...

About the motor, i didnt run it right away, but i did get it nice and warm the next morning, ran it for about 5mins on the driveway.

Thanks for the tips, and the delightfull angry posts it kept me entertained for a few mins

we love to entertain

be sure to use plenty of crc / wd40 or something simiar all over the motor don't be shy with it
Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 PM
BarnacleNZ

yea i always smother it in the stuff before and after
Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takes me to long to put my thong on to go swimming, Besides the water here is 38f Glacier water. In florida i also would not swim for a boat. If i can afford a 1500 dollar rc boat i can afford a better way.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
BarnacleNZ

it looks like there are nasty things swimming round in the water in the florida area from what i see on tv. Nothing at all nasty here... maybe just some of the local folk...