Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

A lesson learnt

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

A lesson learnt

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
STEVE MARSHALL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A lesson learnt

Bentley posted a link to one in OZ near the top of the page.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
munro1656

danny from sonic racing made me one and it works fantistic give him a call see if he has any

cheers craig
Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
bentley marshall

ORIGINAL: nooh

Mike if you could make something like that cause I would like one, I can't seem to find any of those killguards in Oz m8.
But for sure I will be doing something to the battery connectors before I get the boat back into the water.

heres one in oz

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index...oducts_id=1714
Old 02-14-2009, 07:05 PM
nooh

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

Mike if you could make something like that cause I would like one, I can't seem to find any of those killguards in Oz m8.
But for sure I will be doing something to the battery connectors before I get the boat back into the water.

heres one in oz

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index...oducts_id=1714
Sorry m8 for some reason I thought it was an overseas site, meaning doubling the $60 price tag. and thanks for letting me know Danny makes them also Graig, but will see what Mike comes up with.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:18 PM
aussieboats

Hi, looks like i better start making a new boat for you Iam glad the boat did hold together but sad it happened , send me your email and i will send some setup photos

for you

mark
Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 PM
nooh

ORIGINAL: aussieboats

Hi, looks like i better start making a new boat for you Iam glad the boat did hold together but sad it happened , send me your email and i will send some setup photos

for you

mark
Hi Mark good to see you on the forum m8, Your boat took a beating alright m8, but that fence post didn't stand a chance m8.
Like I said before m8 shes a solid boat and still will be after I fix her up, Thanks for the offer of the set up pics will be sending you my email addy. Would like to get the 100kph and Im sure Daniels motor has it in her just have to set it up right.

Henry.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 PM
losifiend

Man that sucks! I dont have a gas boat but dont you guys use return springs?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the boat is at full throttle and you loose battery power the servo stays in the full throttle position .
Old 02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
lildude2599

Nooh do you have a link for that ekg you listed? And didn't you just redo this boat?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:29 AM
nooh

Here's the info for the ekg you can get from WH.

Enforcer EKG (Engine Kill Guard)
Our Price: $39.95

The EKG “Engine Kill Guard†is a new product designed by; Frank Ackinno and Tony Castronovo of Warehouse Hobbies Inc
prompted by a overseas customer to produce a device that is actually mandated in Europe, that will shut a gasoline ignition down in the event of low radio (receiver) batteries or worse a complete loss of power.

http://69.49.183.35/SearchResults.as...11&Search.y=14

And yes m8 had a run in with a buoy a few months ago so this boat had its fair share of dings m8.

Hopefully in the next few days she will be back in the water.

Henry.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Dana W

If the boat is at full throttle and you loose battery power the servo stays in the full throttle position .

Not if you use the type of servo that floats when there is no power. Coreless servos will not remain locked in a given position when they lose power and the return spring on the Zenoah engines will close down the throttle enough to either kill the motor or make the boat go slow enough that it will likely not be a danger or incur significant damage.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh , I didn't know that .
Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Dana W

Not if you use the type of servo that floats when there is no power. Coreless servos will not remain locked in a given position when they lose power and the return spring on the Zenoah engines will close down the throttle enough to either kill the motor or make the boat go slow enough that it will likely not be a danger or incur significant damage.

I seen that these coreless servos are quite expensive especially if you were to buy them down in OZ, Think I will go for the killguards with 4 boats thats expensive enough..

Just a pic of the Jordo all fixed up, just needs a touch of paint and back in the water she goes,, ????? um with a killguard this time.. lol.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
nvs motorsports

Dude your the man you amaze me how quick you are to repair your boat
Old 02-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Silent-AV8R

I seen that these coreless servos are quite expensive especially if you were to buy them down in OZ,
Yes, coreless cost more than most analog servos, so it goes. But then again, how much is knowing that your boat will not lock up and run full throttle into a wall, or worse, somebody on the bank??

The engine kill is a great thing to do however. I use coreless servos since I am already using digitals. Once you are looking at diigtal servos coreless in many cases is not any more.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 AM
nooh

The engine kill is a great thing to do however. I use coreless servos since I am already using digitals. Once you are looking at diigtal servos coreless in many cases is not any more.
The average price that I found in OZ is around $150 [X(] for the coreless servos add all the other digitals bits and it is quite expensive. I know you say what price you pay for safety but for now I will go with the killguard, that and and a failsafe unit and be more alert than ever when im boating that will have to do. maybe one day will upgrade to all Digital.

Thanks for the info Silent-AV8R

Henry.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: nvs motorsports

And nvs motorsports, Don't have a wife. lucky man hey.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
MKMotorsport

Also on all my HD applications (BIG boats or planes) replace that totally inadequate conntector with an industry standard Deans high current connector or such. It may be overkill but I've had the same thing happen using those itty bitty battery/reciever connectors!! Shrink wrap all your connections and get good at soldering, it won't happen again.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: MKMotorsport

Also on all my HD applications (BIG boats or planes) replace that totally inadequate conntector with an industry standard Deans high current connector or such. It may be overkill but I've had the same thing happen using those itty bitty battery/reciever connectors!! Shrink wrap all your connections and get good at soldering, it won't happen again.

Ah,, These plugs I have them on my Electric Plane battery, Now why didn't I think of that. Good idea m8 Thanks..
Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Silent-AV8R

I use heavier gauge wire and higher amperage plugs on big planes and helis. I don't bother on a boat. OEM plugs are rated at 3 amps continuous. This means full they can handle 3 amps all day long without any heating or increase in voltage loss. It does NOT mean as many people think that the plug can only "handle" 3 amps.

The highest load you will get on a boat would be if you fully stalled both servos. This does not mean fully deflected under load, this means stalled, as driven against the stops, etc. Even then you would be very unlikely to get greater than about a 4 to 6 amp load depending on the servo.. Since stalling servos is bad for them and a properly adjusted linkage will prevent that, then the average real life loads are well below that.

Interesting bit of info. Several sources indicate that during flight on a large multi-servo plane that average current load is around 3 amps. Spikes of up to 20 amps are known to occur, but 3 amps is the average. Helis, with 5 servos thrashing around in hyper-aggresive 3D see average loads around 3 to 5 amps.

So I doubt that a 2-servo boat will see loads in excess of what a 14 servo airplane does, or even the 5 servo heli. Hence my thinking that high amp wire and plugs are not really needed in a boat.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM
MKMotorsport

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I use heavier gauge wire and higher amperage plugs on big planes and helis. I don't bother on a boat. OEM plugs are rated at 3 amps continuous. This means full they can handle 3 amps all day long without any heating or increase in voltage loss. It does NOT mean as many people think that the plug can only "handle" 3 amps.

The highest load you will get on a boat would be if you fully stalled both servos. This does not mean fully deflected under load, this means stalled, as driven against the stops, etc. Even then you would be very unlikely to get greater than about a 4 to 6 amp load depending on the servo.. Since stalling servos is bad for them and a properly adjusted linkage will prevent that, then the average real life loads are well below that.

Interesting bit of info. Several sources indicate that during flight on a large multi-servo plane that average current load is around 3 amps. Spikes of up to 20 amps are known to occur, but 3 amps is the average. Helis, with 5 servos thrashing around in hyper-aggresive 3D see average loads around 3 to 5 amps.

So I doubt that a 2-servo boat will see loads in excess of what a 14 servo airplane does, or even the 5 servo heli. Hence my thinking that high amp wire and plugs are not really needed in a boat.

Issue is not the amps. It's the itty bitty gauge wire, and puny press fit connections, that in something like a gas boat or plane that is subject to very high vibration, WILL fail over extended periods of time. If you replace all your wiring regularly, then i guess its not an issue, but once you've lost a multi thousand dollar model to those connectors/wiring, that tends to change your viewpoint a little
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Silent-AV8R

OK, that has not been my experience. I have never had a connector or wire from a battery to the RX fail.

And amperage IS the issue for the wire and connector. On high amp load installations they can become the limiting factor causing a dramatic drop in voltage. But in a boat it is just not a concern.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: nvs motorsports

Looks from reading this post that he has had lots of practice at it!![X(]

Glenn
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 PM
nooh

And more practice is what im getting at the moment, while the jordo is in dry dock I was adviced that if I wanted to get more speed I should move the strut to the read pod and offset the rudder to the right. So now have more holes to fill in..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66970.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1140063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94362.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1140064