Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

modified zenoah top end

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

modified zenoah top end

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 AM
45deepvee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modified zenoah top end

is there anywhere that sells the modified top end to a zenoah? im not to steady with my hands and dont feel comfortable doing the mods to my top end myself. id rather buy a modified top end and put a motor together.. i found everything for the bottom end just not the top half.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 AM
d-lo

Default RE: modified zenoah top end

well, i am not a gas guy yet, but am looking into getting into it as we speak, and this seems to be a good company, with well thought out products. of course, i am new to gas, and others may have suggestions as well........

http://69.49.183.35/ProductDetails.a...uctCode=EZ1001

davey
Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 AM
painman

Go to Warehouse Hobbies, they sell a mod top end for $89.00 not sure how it performs just got mine in and have not installed. I have heard that it will increase power by 1 HP. For $89.00 that is good enought for me. Called the M5 up grade.

Good luck
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 AM
nvs motorsports

Most of the modified motor builders will sell top end motor kits Redline, Quickdraw and Toxic would be the better ones that are proven
Old 02-14-2009, 01:51 AM
45deepvee

that was my main question. if i could call and get a modified cylinder from redline ect. none of them list them on there websites. id realy like a toxic cylinder
Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 AM
jacob711

id say the best way would be to send your whole motor to be done

cc-racing would probably be the best imo, i believe theirs are done on a cnc machine

otherwise an rcmk tournament top end would be good http://cart.rcmk.com/zen/index.php?m...roducts_id=306
Old 02-14-2009, 11:22 AM
45deepvee

what kind of gains from the rmck top end. ive been looking at those but know very little about them. do they bring the engine up to full mod status?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Butch T on the dock he does top end kits and or mods and his prices are very reasonable and his motors perform very well according to people running them.Im considering one for my stocker,his prices are hard to beat.
Mart
Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 PM
munro1656

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.4130/.f
Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Lakefrontlivin
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Contact Butch T on the dock he does top end kits and or mods and his prices are very reasonable and his motors perform very well according to people running them.Im considering one for my stocker,his prices are hard to beat.
Mart
I'll vouch for Butch T. also !! He's done a couple of engines for me and they run real good. Can't beat the performance for the buck !!!
Do a search for Butch T, on www.jrcbd.com and drop him an e-mail. Tell him that Tom H . referred you
Tom H .
Old 02-14-2009, 09:56 PM
45deepvee

i just sent him a pm on the doc. looking to get the top end by the end of next week. thanks for all the advice and help. id just like to get full mod status from my motor. 5-5.5hp would be awesome
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 AM
jacob711

it doesn't really matter too much about the hp because most people can easily just bs about it anyway, i doubt they even dyno their motors to see what power they make
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 AM
john crouch
My Feedback: (1)

Warehouse hobbies sells modded cylinders, American R/C does as well, Most of your big name engine builders (CC racing, Toxic racing, etc) don't sell there jugs separatly. There is more to there modded engines than simply just sticking on a modded jug. those who do sell jugs separatly will give you more performance, but it is better to get a matched and blueprinted engine. Piston to top of cylinder clearances must be checked just for one detail. All this stuff is checked and set to specs by the builder when they assemble the motor, it is left to chance when parts are just sold to someone to do it themselves. So if you are gonna do it yourself, just make sure to check these things or your upgrade may turn into a real nightmare..

Just my thoughts, John Crouch
Old 02-15-2009, 09:32 AM
martno1fan

Theres too much bs going arround if you ask me regards mods and who does what and i take it all with a pinch of salt to be honest.If someone like Butch T tells me he can supply a modded topend and piston and it will improve performance to somewhere near a full mod id be inclined to trust him having spoken to him quite a few times and getting good advice from him too i might add, same goes for warehouse hobbies.If i had someone near id be inclined to send the motor in and have it done but buying a modded jug and piston and fitting it myself would be a bit more cost effective .I just have too much on my plate right now to do either at this time .
Mart
Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with John on this, I just modified my own new 260 and it takes alot of work. I have close to 8 hrs as a first timer doing this and believe me, it's alot more than a cylinder bolt on. I'm sure if I did a few I could do several in one day but it's alot of work to get things cut and opened up correctly..
The first modification you need to do is the piston machining for clearance in the cylinder weather you modify the rest of the motor or not. The piston is $45. at most places so add that into your cost... I was luck and have a buddy that let me use his lath to do mine.... The price for a full mod motor is not really out of line so if that is what you want a full mod motor it is best to just buy one from the top builders in this hobby especially if your not comfortable doing the modifications yourself......
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 AM
martno1fan

What gets me is the price differences between engine builders can be quite alarming for instance the SS Enterprises i have retails for a modest $495 whereas certain others mentioned here run at over $600 .I know the SS is new compaired to some but i can vouch for its performance and i know Wally off the forum can also so why the big price differences?.I wouldnt swap mine for any of the others out there thats for sure.I think in the next year its going to make a big name for itself .If you can do mods yourself then thats great but not everyone has the time nor the skills to do it,id like to have a go sometime though but i think for the sports boater just looking for a bit more power a cylinder kit is a good alternative for the price.
Mart
Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 AM
john crouch

I know that there are differences in pricing of the engine modders, some are right around $600 some closer to $400. I guess it has to do with there reputation and demand of there product. I am NOT saying that the guys selling motors for $400 dont do as good a job. I had a couple of motors done up a few years ago buy a guy who's name was "fast rat" on the boat dock about 4-5 years ago. I think he was charging $175 to do the work. I had one of these motors in a sprint cat that would almost run 70mph in heat race trim!!! I use who I use because we are good friends and the motors he sells me are very consistant in performance. I know that if I buy one of his motors it will run consistantly the same as the other ones that I have bought from him. One guy that I used to get motors from (no, I am not gonna mention names and start a war), built motors that made a lot of power, but of the 5 motors I bought, a couple of them sure didnt run anywhere near as well as the others did. I am guessing that it was due to the porting being done by hand and was simply just human error. If you feel comfortable buying a jug kit and putting it on your motor, that is fine. I like most people these days expect a lot of return for my hard earned money, myself included. I just feel more comfortable going the route that I have gone......

John Crouch
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM
martno1fan

John im not arguing with you at all i agree with what your saying,when you find something you like and trust why change it etc.If your racing and need the best then id say go for a modded motor from someone with a good reputation etc ,all i was saying is the kits are good value for the sports boaters and so long as you know the person selling them has a good rep then its not a bad way to gain a bit more hp for your boat.Fast rat had a great rep from what i hear pitty he gave up doing it ,hes a member here goes by a different name on here though.
Mart
Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM
john crouch

John im not arguing with you at all i agree with what your saying,when you find something you like and trust why change it etc.If your racing and need the best then id say go for a modded motor from someone with a good reputation etc ,all i was saying is the kits are good value for the sports boaters and so long as you know the person selling them has a good rep then its not a bad way to gain a bit more hp for your boat.Fast rat had a great rep from what i hear pitty he gave up doing it ,hes a member here goes by a different name on here though.
Mart

Don't worry, I don't think in anyway that you are arguing with me. I do race my boats in D12 and I feel more comfortable going the direction that I went for engine mods. these kits are great values for those who are sport boaters. And these modded jugs can be used with some changes to be very competitive motors in heat racing. I think guys like Tony at warehouse hobbies are doing a great thing offering these modded jugs for the sport boaters to get some more performance from there boats without havin to spend a small fortune to go fast.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Tahoe1970

I wouldnt swap mine for any of the others out there thats for sure.I think in the next year its going to make a big name for itself .
Very Interesting Observation Mart...............[8D]
Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Tahoe1970

I wouldnt swap mine for any of the others out there thats for sure.I think in the next year its going to make a big name for itself .
Very Interesting Observation Mart...............[8D]
Haha yea no pressure Wally .
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
DaveMarles

Mart, I hope you are on commision. [8D]
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Tahoe1970

ORIGINAL: DaveMarles

Dave , he's just a Man that loves his motor
Old 02-15-2009, 06:24 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: DaveMarles

About the same commision i get from you Dave
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
45deepvee

id post a comment but itll just get deleted again.

i sent butch a pm on the doc. seems like a nice guy. gonna probably just send him my whole motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.