Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Large cat hull 72 or bigger

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Large cat hull 72 or bigger

Old 03-01-2009, 05:24 PM
flyexperimental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large cat hull 72 or bigger

Could someone point me in the right direction for a large epoxy / glass Cat. hull at least 72 inches long.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
FlogginHarvey

Default RE: Large cat hull 72 or bigger

Epoxy glass or cf: MHZ or HPR Mystic, HPR 233, ClassOne is building a big boat very similar to the HPR 233 but I am not sure if he is doing it in Epoxy.

Oops, I think H & M (Hydro and Marine) also builds an Epoxy Cat in a similar size...
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
45deepvee

whats your budget. theres a few but they are not cheap. edit

heres this one, is a member on hee also. this ones 92 inches

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170302578830

sonic racing has the genesis cat, which is 70"

http://sonicracingaustralia.com/gcat.htm

hanspeter from swiss model powerboat team has the cc/hpr which is 92 inches

http://www.swissmodelpowerboatteam.ch/cc-hpr.html

mhz-usa has the jolly motor hull which is 69.3

http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details....7&store=mhzusa

Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
flyexperimental

Thanks for the help.The 92 incher from class one I had seen before but could not find it again. As long as it is epoxy /fiberglass I could add carbon fiber or kevlar to it before engines are installed if its needed.When building RC jets alot of guys are adding carbon fiber after out of the molds before the build,that is why I want epoxy,not polyester.Prefer to buy something in the states.It would cost a fortune to ship something that large from out of the country.My budget ?? If I pay as I build verses RTR I would put more money into it if I payed as I built.
Thanks again.
Joe
Chatham IL
Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
illiniboater
My Feedback: (1)

pm sent
Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
45deepvee

the class one hull is well built. can also buy it with hardware. what engines exactly are going in this boat?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 PM
flyexperimental

As far as engines go.Do I have any other options besides twin inline zenoha engines ? I had originaly thought about larger 15-20 hp two stroke engines but not sure thier would be room to put the larger engine down in the pontoon where it belongs.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
dicko

You can use epoxy over poly resins, you just need to prep the surface properly, roughen it up with 60 or 80 grit paper & clean it with alcohol or epoxy thinners before you apply the carbon & epoxy. You can't go the other way though, poly won't stick to epoxy.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyexperimental

As far as engines go.Do I have any other options besides twin inline zenoha engines ? I had originaly thought about larger 15-20 hp two stroke engines but not sure thier would be room to put the larger engine down in the pontoon where it belongs.
Your options are very limited for power in most cats - space constraints are tight.

Most common for the 2.33m cat is inline zenoahs or large electric setups (I am very unfamiliar with electrics). The potential is there for installing a large rear exhaust motor like the CMB35 which could develop a little more power than a stock zenoah. But the CMB is tall and would extend beyond the cowl (could be hidden with an intake scoop). Also the CMB has a [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/photoscantonmaboatingoct2006?p=27&n=1&m=-1&c=2&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=4]massive tuned pipe which may extend beyond the transom of the hull[/link].

A QD35 is a tight fit but should be able to be made to work. This is less power than a CMB35 and in my opinion less than an inline zenoah. I do not believe a QD70 will fit (and it would be overpowered and overweight).

Most other power plants will not comfortably fit - G62 zenoahs, Blatas, Polinis, SG35s.

The other possibility is a pair of turbines - though these are usually budget breakers.

If you talk to Tom he can lay you up a hull in Carbon Fiber - will save you the weight of adding carbon to an already sufficiently strong glass hull.

The cat has been powered with inline triple zenoahs and was found to be overpowered. The boat is capable of more than 80mph with inline twins. Larger 15-20hp engines are probably going to be a backward step in speed and weight. Aircraft motors typically lack the RPM.

Only other option I can think of might be a large flat twin aircraft motor that is water cooled - installed with a forward facing output that turns a counter rotating twin output gear box which will pass the drives back to the transom. Exhausts exiting the motor either though the cowl or down via the sponsons. Gearbox would want to be overdriven. With an aircraft background you may have the knowledge of something that could make this viable.

But for my money - inline zenoahs work. They are cost effective. Reliable. Cheap to maintain. Forgiving. Light weight. Sufficiently compact. Upgradable. And they WORK

Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
flyexperimental

Thanks for the input.Looks like inline twins are more than capabe for the job.I am just wanting something to play with.No place to race in my area. Having a few jets I had thought about turbines,but that would really just complicate things and they suck fuel,so run time would be shorter.I have left classone rc boats an email to get in touch with me.
Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 AM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a couple of Twin Jet powered cats on youtube if I had the money to do it I would go with the jet motors.... I hope this link works....... http://www.rc-powerboat-forum.de/Bil...ic%20C5000.wmv
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
flyexperimental

If I was to to a turbine it would be a single in a deep vee.Looks like twin inlines are my best choice.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
hpr233

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfDUq16zowo

2 big hpr cat in france , and 4 very soon because they bought the pair a dice and the drambuie one ice