Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

rio 51 want to put a bigger motor in

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

rio 51 want to put a bigger motor in

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM
dv8raaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rio 51 want to put a bigger motor in

here is the thing my hobby shop has a motor said is 4 hp, but no were does it list the power of the motor in rio 51 boat,so i want to reach in the 60mph range, is it possable with this boat and what motor do you recomand for me and prop,thanks for the help guys getting a motor tomorrow if possable,
Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 PM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rio 51 want to put a bigger motor in

If you want to have a v hull that will do 60+ you need a different boat to start with.... IF you want high speeds, sell your rio before you spend a fortune on it and still not have a competitive boat..... The rio is a beginers/sport boat and that is all it ever will be....IMHO
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 PM
dv8raaz

well I never plan to race or anything i live on a bay and there are a couple of us that have boats. I really dont want to sell it cause i really like it,so you say no way to run in the 60mph range is out of the question

Mod edit - edited for language
Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 PM
coyv10

Eather get a CC Racing full mod of a Quick Draw 25HT engine and hold on...
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
cuda_tmaxx
My Feedback: (2)

I saw somewhere that the fuji was 3hp at 10000 rpm. I take any manufacturers horsepower rating with a grain of salt. I searched a few manufactures and have not found any dyno curves, and couldn't find anything for most modders that I looked into. Also, the power of the motor depends greatly on the header and pipe used. An incorrectly sized divergent cone could be the difference between 2 hp and 4hp.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Out of curiosity - have you run the Rio stock?

Boat is plenty fast out of the box. There are tweaks that can yeild additional speed.

Seeing something at a hobby store that is rated at 4hp is really vague - I am sure there are countless nitro motors that are rated at 4hp yet would not move the boat out of its own way.

The other half of the equation is the driver - one thing to have a boat that can run at 60mph - something altogether different to be able to drive (tune and maintain) a boat capable of those speeds.

My advice would be to get the Rio in the water stock and run it a season before spending money on speeds that you (and the boat) may not be ready for.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
bondobuster

It's possible as I've seen video of Rio's going 60+ with full mod engines. Gonna cost you $$$$$. Heres a link for one.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mk09VzjRvA
Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 AM
MrMikeG

I would guess the Fuji to be 2 hp or less. [8D]
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 AM
tunda

I posted some pic of my Rio with a QD HT in it a while back but no vid but i can tell you that motor was too much for the Rio and it was fast
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
huw4027

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Out of curiosity - have you run the Rio stock?

Boat is plenty fast out of the box. There are tweaks that can yeild additional speed.

Seeing something at a hobby store that is rated at 4hp is really vague - I am sure there are countless nitro motors that are rated at 4hp yet would not move the boat out of its own way.

The other half of the equation is the driver - one thing to have a boat that can run at 60mph - something altogether different to be able to drive (tune and maintain) a boat capable of those speeds.

My advice would be to get the Rio in the water stock and run it a season before spending money on speeds that you (and the boat) may not be ready for.
Great advice [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 AM
dv8raaz

I got the boat last year, I used it all summer and ya it is good out the box, but i want to go faster now, the fastest i could get her to run was 43mph with the 3 blade and trimed up to the limit.I just want to get it to run alot faster so I can be a step up on all my boys ,I will never race boat i live on lake st clair and am on a canel witch turns to a bay and have alot of space to run it,so you guys are saying it can be done but the boat isnt ready for it,or wont handle it,thank you for all your help guys,I just want it to rip that is all lol
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
glennb2006

Stick a Zenoah in there, modded if you like, there are many to choose from, good pipe and header system, then prop it to suit.

Then you might find you need to start to alter other stuff to ensure the boat is manageable, rudders etc etc.

Have fun.

Glenn
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
slider46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that it can't be done, it gets very expensive to reach your speed goal. Unless you can modify your own motor your looking at 500-600 bucks for a full mod motor, mounts are another 60 bucks a good tuned pipe is $150 to 199.then your probably going to need all new running hardware at some point which will run you another 200 or so. And nobody will pay that kind of money for a rio if you choose to sell.... I'm just trying to keep it all inperspective for you. I see alot of guys with 1400 to 2000 invested in one of these boats and can't get 1/3 of the money back as it's not a "competitive" hull.... If you need to change everything about the boat but the hull your better off building your boat from a known hull that will still be around in 3 years.....This is just my opinion about dumping alot of cash into a big hole in the lake.......
Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: slider46

It's not that it can't be done, it gets very expensive to reach your speed goal. Unless you can modify your own motor your looking at 500-600 bucks for a full mod motor, mounts are another 60 bucks a good tuned pipe is $150 to 199.then your probably going to need all new running hardware at some point which will run you another 200 or so. And nobody will pay that kind of money for a rio if you choose to sell.... I'm just trying to keep it all inperspective for you. I see alot of guys with 1400 to 2000 invested in one of these boats and can't get 1/3 of the money back as it's not a "competitive" hull.... If you need to change everything about the boat but the hull your better off building your boat from a known hull that will still be around in 3 years.....This is just my opinion about dumping alot of cash into a big hole in the lake.......
The Man talks sense.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
cuda_tmaxx
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: dv8raaz

I got the boat last year, I used it all summer
Did you have any problems with the Fuji
Old 04-04-2009, 06:11 PM
goodson

where on st clair are you? i'm in harrison twp near belle maer harbor. i also have a rio 51 (zen/clutch converted) and my brother has a king of shaves cat on order. maybe we should get some racing going on?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 AM
dv8raaz

the end of venetian last house i am the bay buy the boat ramp
Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Bbbutch

Here is another way to think about the cost of making a RIO go 60 MPH.
1. YES! It is going to cost you a lot to obtain, correctly install and tune the modified parts.
2. BUT! All those parts are “BOLT-IN†and can be taken out and placed into a more competitive hull.
3. The “learning curve of a new RC boaterâ€! I’m sure the learning curve is different for every individual but I can tell you from my own experience that there is quite a bit to learn and if there are no experienced boaters in your area to help you that you are going to make not just a few but many mistakes. Most of the time and if you are lucky those mistakes will result in only hull damage.
What better hull to learn on than the RIO? It is relatively cheap, very strong, durable and can take incredibly bad wipeouts and survive.
Hit a rocky shore at full throttle because you were to stupid to install a fall safe. Unfortunately I tell you that the RIO can do it and survive to run again the next weekend.
Fly off the water 10 feet high into the air at 58 MPH. Come down and hydraulic the hatch and hull! The RIO hull can take this too. However you might see some cracks in the gel coat and may have to repair the hatch. Put magnets on your hatch to hold it down and you will avoid most of the hatch damage.
SO GO AHEAD and make the RIO go fast. Then take those parts out when you are ready and stick them into a more competitive hull.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
tunda

You could'nt say it better then that
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM
dv8raaz

well guys there always seems to be guys on here that say it cant be done,I just but my m5 with 4.5 mod and i am happy to say i am in the 60mph mark 63 to be right on and i still need to prop it right,I no it is no a competive haul like you all u race but it is fun for me,SOo thanks for the input guys
Old 04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
rheeder218

well guys there always seems to be guys on here that say it cant be done,I just but my m5 with 4.5 mod and i am happy to say i am in the 60mph mark 63 to be right on and i still need to prop it right,I no it is no a competive haul like you all u race but it is fun for me,SOo thanks for the input guys
Get back to work
Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Giorgos_cupra

I also got a new rio and this is also my first boat.But i know a lot of things on boats....Real size from a close up and rc from reading,a lot of reading.As the guys said it can be done,but you need to change first of all the steering servo cause it can't even handle a zenoah motor.Off course when you put the motor in you'll ses what else needs changing.I would definately change the drive,as i've seen one snapping under stress with a zen motor.I think it was Dreamin Hemi s boat.I say if you got the money go for it,and since you are not racing i don't think it will break your heart if a sigma takes you on a turn.....I don't agree with one thing said though.You can mod your boat and sell it and get a good amount of invested moeny back.It is like cars,in real size.When you want to sell it,take off the motor and sell it as stock.Then sell the motor separetelly and you are done.That's what i did with my turbo setup.....Hope i helped
Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
goodson

ORIGINAL: rheeder218

Get back to work
you should talk!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:30 PM
twindaddy66

I did my first run on my Rio yesterday. On my second tank, I had a blow over happen at about 3/4 throttle, dont know how fast that is...but it was haulin..probably 40-ish guestimate. Anyway, it was a classic blowover heading into the wind, and it caught a gust...lifted it right out of the water about 6-8 feet high, did the bow - up - and - over move and crashed stern first. I just knew I broke something. Got in the paddle boat, retreived it and not one thing broken, bent, or out of place!! One heck of an impact and it took it. KUDOS to the designers. Only negative thing was it ingested a gulp or two of water....

BTW...Im running a 25.4 CY (SIKK) with the stock Rio pipe and this thing runs like a scalded dawg! I love it so far.

Cheers,
John