Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for help with a boat design

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Newbie looking for help with a boat design

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 AM
fokker fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for help with a boat design

I used to build and sail electric powered scale boats a number of years ago but have been building and flying planes for some time now. I've always wanted to build a gas powered race boat and have just recently picked up a standard Zenoah G26 marine engine for it. I'm wanting to get into it with a deep V hull, but I'm not too sure about exactly what I need in the way of hulls and fittings, and what I can make and what I should buy. I've been lurking in the boat section for a couple of weeks just watching and looking for ideas, especially watching the current woody build.

I’m a bit confused about what hull to get at the moment that would suit what I want it to do. I’m looking for a Deep V to run in a variety of conditions from flat calm to around 4-5†chop. One thing that’s confusing me is the size required – I’ve looked at hulls from the Prather 46†Scarab to the Aeromarine 56†Apache and Dougs 48†Woody. What sort of size should I be looking for to run in these conditions? I’m guessing probably the larger end of the scale, but how big is too big and will cause too much loss of speed? I seen video clips of Dougs 48†but they’ve all been in relatively calm conditions – how does it handle a 4-5†chop? Are there plans available for a larger boat? Or just scale up Dougs boat?

Not too many questions I hope, and thanks in advance [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
bullboy8

Default RE: Newbie looking for help with a boat design

fokker do you still need the plans I got? I will give them to you if needed? I got all 3 of dougs plans. 48" mono, 48" mono version 2, and the large 72" mono deep vee.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
fokker fan

Thanks for the offer, yes please, PM sent.

I didn't realise there were 3 different versions of Dougs boat.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
bullboy8

you got mail!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fokker fan

Thanks for the offer, yes please, PM sent.

I didn't realise there were 3 different versions of Dougs boat.
There isnt theres 3 diff boats
Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
bullboy8

What Mart said
Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
fokker fan

ORIGINAL: bullboy8

you got mail!
Thanks very much

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

There isnt theres 3 diff boats
So I see now [sm=49_49.gif]

I like the proportions of the 48" V1 and like the higher sides of the 72". I'm thinking maybe the 72" boat shortened to around 54" to look something like an Apache? What do you think? Would I end up with something that does what I want or a dog [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
bullboy8

Well if you shrink up the 72 to a 54 and put a Zen in it you should be fine and still have a pretty speedy boat (nothing like a race boat though). Even with a 72 I would think it would still be zippy. your only talking about 6" more from the 48" if you going the 54 path. Doing the calculations if you want the 72 to be a 54 all you have to do is tell the copy guy at kinko's to scale it down to 67% which will give you a smidge over 54 boat.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:36 AM
fokker fan

ORIGINAL: bullboy8

Well if you shrink up the 72 to a 54 and put a Zen in it you should be fine and still have a pretty speedy boat (nothing like a race boat though). Even with a 72 I would think it would still be zippy. your only talking about 6" more from the 48" if you going the 54 path. Doing the calculations if you want the 72 to be a 54 all you have to do is tell the copy guy at kinko's to scale it down to 67% which will give you a smidge over 54 boat.
67% of 72 is a smidge over 48, 75% of 72 is 54, but I wasn't thinking of reducing the whole boat to 75% as this would give a beam of only 11.25". I was thinking more of removing 18" from the stern as this is all parallel and I would retain the 15" beam. I guess what I'm after is the 48" V1 but a bit longer with the ability to handle rougher conditions. I like the higher sides of the 72 and the shape of the chines at the bow look better able to handle chop.

But then, I'm new to this, and this is just newbie theory, so I'm looking for any advice.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
bullboy8

oops I was shrinking it to 48" not 54"[&:], you may want to ask someone else about doing that to the 72 because I never modified plans that much.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM
martno1fan

My mate Steve Marshal built the 72" shrunk to 54 and he isnt happy with its performance.He feels the vee is too steep and the hull is too narrow and looking at it i agree somewhat although ive not built it.The 48 hull is the best i feel,no reason you cant scale it up to make a 56" version and add height to the sides .I added height to my 48" version and it came out really nice.I plan on building a larger version of it some day.Heres a pic of my 48" hull and Steves scaled down 72 "in the kids pool.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36135.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1189537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38756.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1189538  
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM
martno1fan

Heres the orriginal thread that inspired me to build the woody,pitty he never finnished his and disapeered from the forums.
Mart
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2402672/anchors_2402672/mpage_1/key_building%252Cboat%252Cchronicle/anchor/tm.htm#2402672[/link]