Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Engine mounting help needed, please.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Engine mounting help needed, please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounting help needed, please.

Hi guys,

I am getting ready to buy a hull, and I have some questions about mounting the powerplant. The hull I currently have my eyes set on is the Hydro and Marine X-Ray.

If I get this hull, I take it I will have an empty hull without the engine mount. Are there different 5" mounts which I can buy for this hull, or am I supposed to design the mount?

Also, I have seen some mounts which consist of parallel fiberglass plates which are bonded to the hull bottom with beads of epoxy. Having worked with a lot composites, I know that epoxy bonds aren't as strong when they are laid on already cured epoxy. Are there other, more sturdy mounting solutions? My concern is that in a roll, the engine inertia will break the epoxy fillets. Maybe strips of carbon over the fillets would better secure this type of layup.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Engine mounting help needed, please.

Matt,
Have a look at this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7470632/tm.htm

Dan.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Matt_M

OK, I read through the thread. Thanks.

I see that those thin stringer plate mounts are available from the manufacturer. Are there other ways of mounting engines such as other types of mounts which can be used?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Dan S

Well,
you can get mounts from CC Racing

http://www.cc-racingengines.com/inde...248ecffb97db2d

or like these one from Aeromarine (pic)

only to name a few.
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10545.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1197054  
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Matt_M

Those seem to look like the actual aluminum mounts attached to the engine, but are there different types of what you call "stringers" which can be found to hang them on?

Sorry that I am confused, this is my first build and I have not witnessed how most people are setting up mounts in various hulls that do not use factory mounts. I want the setup to be very strong.

Any more suggestions of where to look would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 AM
tripoli
My Feedback: (1)

Matt,
I am assuming you are buying a bare hull with no stringers installed. If this is the case, check out this thread from Dreamin'Hemi.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79..._2/key_/tm.htm.

Hope this helps and good luck on your build.

TRIP

Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Dan S

Beside the ones actually supplied by the company that makes that boat....no

if you don't want to use the stingers from them you can make the stingers out of 1/4" 5ply.

Dan.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's an alternative that Gizmo USA is going to be selling soon. These work great for the RCMK engines as they offer the extra clearance over normal Zen mounts as the backplate is thicker which is needed for starting pawl clearance. I just got a set about 3 days ago for my Pro Cat and am having a helluva time getting them to fit properly in it but for a mono they should work just fine. It's a little pricy as Bruce's price will be $88.00 shipped in the US but in the long run will save the hassle of mounting rails. 3M 5200 marine adhesive is going to be needed to hold the stand-offs in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79066.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1197308  
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Here's an alternative that Gizmo USA is going to be selling soon. These work great for the RCMK engines as they offer the extra clearance over normal Zen mounts as the backplate is thicker which is needed for starting pawl clearance. I just got a set about 3 days ago for my Pro Cat and am having a helluva time getting them to fit properly in it but for a mono they should work just fine. It's a little pricy as Bruce's price will be $88.00 shipped in the US but in the long run will save the hassle of mounting rails. 3M 5200 marine adhesive is going to be needed to hold the stand-offs in place.
Hi Ron,

Those look great! I would much rather use those standoffs, because they also look a lot cleaner. Where can I get in contact with the maker? Also, off hand do you know if the standoffs and brace pictured are available alone without the front and rear engine plates? I have a 4-bolt 5" mount I am using already, and I just need the standoffs and brace to get it mounted to the hull.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
SS RC Boats

Check with Danny at sonic racing au.! Will be using his engine mounts for all my future builds!
Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Lil Dave

88 Dollars shipped, huh? Sounds like a sale to me!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This RCMK engine-mount needs 6 drills and countersunk in those 'feet' , to get 'epoxy-rivets' for better bond.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: HendricX

This RCMK engine-mount needs 6 drills and countersunk in those 'feet' , to get 'epoxy-rivets' for better bond.
I was thinking this. First, epoxy the feet down. Then, laminate rectangles of carbon cloth with cutouts for the pillars on top of them, sandwiching them down. Release paper with medium density foam could be clamped down on top the lamination while curing, so that there aren't any air pockets between the pillar feet and the carbon. That should attach the mount to the hull pretty well.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 PM
tyler69

hello great place to get a 5" hull motor mount for a zenoah 23 or 26 cc motor is a zippkits.com 30.00 free shipping tell them tyler set you .they will help you a lot ok they are in Ny.fast shiiping.need more help just ask ok.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's the Gizmo site, http://www.gizmomotors.com/ . I wouldn't think that parts are available separately though, at least not yet as he doesn't have them listed on his site yet and probably won't until he gets them in but you can contact him about pre-ordering.
The RCMK site shows mounts also for Zen's and had them showing aluminum angle instead of the stand-offs.
As far as Joe Petro's motor mounts, I got a set of them from him at the Toledo show, a very good buy for the money! The only downside is that the isolators appear to be weak.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Matt_M

Ron,

I went to the RCMK site online store, and indeed, the standoffs and rails are available by themselves for $64 + shipping. The link is here: http://cart.rcmk.com/zen/index.php?m...products_id=20

I will be ordering the set.

Thanks for your help again.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
rcguy1411

those standoffs Gizmo usa has look great but wouldent it put a lot of stress  in only those four locations in a rollover and crack the hull as aposed to a stringer that spreads the load over a greater area i need to figure out a motor mount in my boat as welll