Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Dual,or Single Pick up Rudders?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Dual,or Single Pick up Rudders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 PM
RKS1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual,or Single Pick up Rudders?

What are the main advantages,of running a dual pickup system over a single pickup system,other than maybe running cooler? It seems like a single pickup rudder/pickup would work well,with the line running to the engine,out to the exhaust flange,then to the header coupling,and out the hull. Would a dual one have that muchbetter cooling (on the exhaust system),over a single? Thanks,Ron
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM
jacob711

Default RE: Dual,or Single Pick up Rudders?

dual pickup would run cooler but the blade is thicker than a single pickup so the boat will run slightly slower
Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 PM
RKS1949

Thanks,I'm getting ready to build a new Hydro,and was thinking of running a single pickup rudder,if it wouldn't run too hot (on the exhaust,and burn "O" rings out fast). Ron
Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 AM
nvs motorsports

It would depend on the weather on how many pickups you need if you were in Europe or colder US states a single would be fine
In hotter areas i would suggest twin pick ups better to loose a minute amount of speed than to have no speed at all when you overheat something
Also if you running a wet pipe you have to run twin pickup
Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jacob711

dual pickup would run cooler but the blade is thicker than a single pickup so the boat will run slightly slower
If you mean a dual pick up is wider I might agree with you, but it is definitely not thicker.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:35 AM
jacob711

im not sure but ive heard that dual pickup ones are thicker, maybe theyre not?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
TopSecretBoats

ORIGINAL: jacob711

The dual pickup That we manufacture is the same thickness as the single pickup.
I prefer the Dual pick up with one going to the head and the other going to the exhaust. In the summer water temp is pretty worm and I like to make sure that nothing overheats. And I do not lose any performance by using the dual pickup blade.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 AM
painman

Ron, you might have noticed that I just posted before I saw this about my hydro overheating, I am running duel pickups and still gets to hot, You will need all the cooling you can get. The way the cowl set on the Hydro's dosen't allow for much air movement. There should be very little if any difference in the performance of the boat. And with the gas with the ethenol will tend to run even hotter. I am thinking about camping fuel to see if will help with the cooling. I will E-mail you some pic of my hydro.
Have you got the thunderbolt yet?

Randy
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Macleod

I'm using Bills dual pickup rudder blade and find it perfect at keeping my zen cool during the warmer months here in OZ.

Never 'HEARD' of any thicker blades, that have dual pickups, when compared to single pickup.

And no 'WILL RUN SLIGHTLY SLOWER' problems either.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
TopSecretBoats

ORIGINAL: painman

Ron, you might have noticed that I just posted before I saw this about my hydro overheating, I am running duel pickups and still gets to hot, You will need all the cooling you can get. The way the cowl set on the Hydro's dosen't allow for much air movement. There should be very little if any difference in the performance of the boat. And with the gas with the ethenol will tend to run even hotter. I am thinking about camping fuel to see if will help with the cooling. I will E-mail you some pic of my hydro.

Randy
Do you have 1 line coming in and 2 lines coming out of your water jacket. If not you might want to do it . It will let the water flow through quicker and cool the head better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59756.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1201760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82844.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1201761  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
painman

Bill do you have the cooling heads with the dual pickups, I have been on your site and never came across them. I will have to check your site. The two outlets was mentioned on JBD on my post, I was thinking about trying to tap another outlet.

Thanks Randy
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM
jacob711

ORIGINAL: Macleod

I'm using Bills dual pickup rudder blade and find it perfect at keeping my zen cool during the warmer months here in OZ.

Never 'HEARD' of any thicker blades, that have dual pickups, when compared to single pickup.

And no 'WILL RUN SLIGHTLY SLOWER' problems either.

im not totally sure but i read that speedmaster dual pickup blades are thicker than single pickups

a thicker blade will create more drag and run slower, thats why some people use thin blades with no pickups in them and then use a propblast pickup or flushmount pickups in the bottom of the hull, probably not a huge difference in speed but it all helps i suppose

Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
RKS1949

ORIGINAL: painman

Randy
Not yet! Randy. I'm kinda in limbo at the moment! Can't make my mind up! Ron
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 AM
painman

YEP; know what you mean.

Randy