Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

best way to remove powder coating

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

best way to remove powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 AM
HOOTERS racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to remove powder coating

hey guys
i need to remove powdercoat from a crank case whats the best way to do this thanks

ian
Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 AM
lewisdf4

Default RE: best way to remove powder coating

Have it bead blasted. It will come up clean as a whistle. I'm not sure if stripper will work, but if you use it don't use a "proper" auto stripper as they have no wax additives and will eat into the alloy. Cheap stripper from an auto outlet will work as it has the wax additives which dont allow it to eat in as quickly (you can tell the cheap ones by the instructions, if it has a "woking time limit" it will stop eating in usually about 10 - 15 mins) A good stripper won't stop untill it has gone to the substrate. I often use stripper on aluminium, but be really careful with how long you leave it on there.
Cheers, Chris.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:27 AM
nvs motorsports

I use caustic soda to remove anodizing it may work on powdercoat also just try a test patch on case
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 PM
srw1960

Powder coat is finely ground poly propelyne plastic powder that is electrostaticaly applied to the part..

Then the part is BAKED at like 425 degrees for 30 minutes..What is happening during the baking process is the plastic powder melts and becomes a very thick liquid that lays down flat and smooth and very shiny...

Now then that plastic once cooled is hard as a rock bead blast and sand blast WILL bounce off of it and since its pure plastic stripper in any form wont touch it either....the only way I can see it coming off is to reheat the part to the point the plastic has melted again and bead blast it while hot you will probably have to heat and blast then heat again and blast some more till you get it all off..or I used this method to strip powder coat off a motorcycle frame I was rebuilding..I set it outside and took my cutting torch to it with a rosebud tip on it and burned the plastic off of it then bead blasted the residue off that worked great but I dont know if youre cases can handle that kind of heat...oh and caustic soda wont touch the stuff either remember ITS PLASTIC...

Good luck and have funnnn