Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

zippkit Rockett done, almost

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

zippkit Rockett done, almost

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default zippkit Rockett done, almost

My build post was so old i couldnt find it, But here is almost done zippkit Rockett, Been busy doing other stuff. So i finally got around to some paint and it still needs graphics, It's my first build of any kind and not perfect, But i am pretty happy how it turned out. It will look much better after the graphics are put on. Running a RCMK and a powermaster 2" band pipe, But i also have a stock Zenoha also i am thinking about using. I purchased a AM Thunderbolt and thinking of putting the RCMK in it. Any thought's ? It was a good learning experience and looking forward to building another wood boat. Thanks for looking ! Ohh check out how i did my exhaust port, really happy how it came out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27810.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1250779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62464.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	1250780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77270.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1250781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44783.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	1250782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60438.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	1250783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb43753.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1250784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85158.jpg
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1250785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn47707.jpg
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	1250786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw37563.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1250787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht88638.jpg
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	1250788  
Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: zippkit Rockett done, almost

Jamming she looks awesome mate well done,hope she runs as well as she looks for yaa mate.
Mart
Old 08-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Mr.Freeze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice, cool idea for the exhaust too.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Jamming

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I think she will be a great handling boat. Mart what engine do you run in yours.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: Mr.Freeze

Very nice, cool idea for the exhaust too.

It took a bit of work, but it looks good and should work really well. The pipe is not hitting the wood at all, I used a JB Weld hi temp product and a metal ring and fiberglassed over it. The exhaust is a 1" brass tube and coupler to the pipe.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have plans for eventually racing it, check the NAMBA rules on Thunderboats. Right now they're only allowing stock Zenoah's for power and the exhaust outlet might not be legal. They also have a problem with the length of the Zippkits hydro's as they're 2 inches too short.
You might not have plans on racing it but just a heads-up in case you have thoughts about it.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 AM
martno1fan

Hi mate im running a full mod from SS enterprises in mine,unfortunateley due to lack of spare time ive not had chance to run her much this year so far.I hope to rectify that next week,Rons correct namba wont allow it in t boat class but the other organisation does i believe so it depends which ones in your area?.That said if you stick a full mod in there she can race in sports hydro.I know Matt Gunn did or does that with good success,theyre not as fast as the whipps and suchlike when its calm but when its choppy you will be surprised how well they run .Matt had some good videos of his racing against a thunderbolt hydro and a cannard among others,seemed to really perform well to me.If i find the link ill post it for you.I know hes clocked his at a tad over 65 with the gps.I think he designed a sports cowl for racing since these videos to help gain more speed etc.Im sure if you ask him hed be glad to show some pics and advice if you ever do want to race her etc as hes a nice guy.
Mart

found a cpl
[link]http://www.webdrgraphics.com/boatvideos/sport_hydro1.wmv[/link]

[link]http://www.webdrgraphics.com/boatvideos/sport_hydro1.wmv[/link]
Heres his website,just seen he came second in Georgia sports hydro championships not too shabby for a roundnose
[link]http://www.webdrgraphics.com/gunnrunner/thunderboat.html[/link]
Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Jamming

Thanks to everyone for the tips and help with my project, she is finally done. A tribute to me best friend and wife the "miss Ginny" RCMK powered, powermaster 2" band pipe, all speedmaster hardware. My next project is a AM Thunderbolt, I have everything to do it this fall, RCMK EVO powered again all speedmaster hardware. Thanks to everyone for all the help. My next zippkit this winter is the new Tunnel.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Jamming

Thanks to everyone for the tips and help with my project, she is finally done. A tribute to me best friend and wife the "miss Ginny" RCMK powered, powermaster 2" band pipe, all speedmaster hardware. My next project is a AM Thunderbolt, I have everything to do it this fall, RCMK EVO powered again all speedmaster hardware. Thanks to everyone for all the help. My next zippkit this winter is the new Tunnel.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Jamming

internet on the fritz

Name:	Db83657.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	1266767  
Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Jamming

another more later

Name:	Vt58513.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	1266780  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
nooh

Jamming the Rockett looks great, you done a near perfect build on her, luv the way the Cowl sits too,, wish mine was that neat.. More pics would no go astray either m8, and don't forget the video of the maiden will be looking forward to it...

Take care m8... Henry..
Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 AM
martno1fan

Nice work mate good luck with her,a little surprised you went for the t bolt though []not the best running hydro ive seen.The rockett in those vids i put on kicked butt running against them.
Mart
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM
chief3452

Beautiful job !!! I gotta get one of these kits.

Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Jamming

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I spent sometime trying to get it right and i am sure it will run great. The exhaust is my favorite part of the boat. I used 1" brass tubing with sand paper epoxyied to it to cut the hole at the correct angle, making it 1/8" bigger than needed then used JB weld to epoxy it in place. Good for 600f temps. After it cured i cut the tubing down on the outside to 1/4" from hull then used a small belt sander to get it smooth against the hull. And finished it with some micro ballons and epoxy. Was a bit of work but worth the clean looking outcome.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Nice work mate good luck with her,a little surprised you went for the t bolt though []not the best running hydro ive seen.The rockett in those vids i put on kicked butt running against them.
Mart
Interesting ! Because the ones i have seen are running in the high 70's and are considered to be one of the best runner's here. I am going to race it in a open hydro class and hope that it will make a good first racer. Well see. Going to run a RCMK EVO head and Zenoha bottom end 2 bearing crank with zero drag seals. My next boat is a tunnel from zippkits and also thinking GV whiplash. But i want to put a quick draw in the GV, But my wife only gives me enough allowance for the T-bolt as of now.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
martno1fan

Ill take your word for it the ones ive seen were'nt doing anywhere near that speed you got any video of them?.Id def go whiplash though those things are unbeatable in the right conditions by all accounts.
Mart
Old 09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Have you checked the NAMBA rule book on that kind of hybrid engine? You had better be sure it's legal since at the NAMBA NATs, the top three finishers had their engines torn down to make sure they hadn't been modded in any way
Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
grant118
My Feedback: (26)

Mart I agree. 70+ sounds high for this boat but 65 mph is nothing to sneeze at. Really good finish on your boat...
chris
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

If you have plans for eventually racing it, check the NAMBA rules on Thunderboats. Right now they're only allowing stock Zenoah's for power and the exhaust outlet might not be legal. They also have a problem with the length of the Zippkits hydro's as they're 2 inches too short.
You might not have plans on racing it but just a heads-up in case you have thoughts about it.
Thanks my friend, i am aware of the rules, but i don't understand how they are created for racing, I don't think 3/4" would make a boat so much faster that it would stomp everyone. But i am sure there is a reason. I enjoyed building it so much that i hope one day zippkit's will make a legal size for me to build, But until then i will race my other boats in hydro open class.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM
martno1fan

Siick a full mod in the rockett and run that in sports hydro Matt gun came second in the Georgia championships in 2008 not sure how many racers are involved though?.I know hes had her close to 70 mph though.
Mart
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Remember, the Zippkits Thunderboat was in production first, then the NAMBA rules were made.
Just so that everyone understands the facts...

Joe
Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Ill take your word for it the ones ive seen were'nt doing anywhere near that speed you got any video of them?.Id def go whiplash though those things are unbeatable in the right conditions by all accounts.
Mart
I stand corrected after speaking with a few friends the T-bolt runs in the 60's not 70's. And you are correct about the whip are faster and great boats, but i really like the looks of the T-bolt and sometimes speed doesn't always win. Should be fun for a first race boat.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Remember, the Zippkits Thunderboat was in production first, then the NAMBA rules were made.
Just so that everyone understands the facts...

Joe
Thank you for that, i was not aware of this. Think one day there might be a legal boat from Zippkits Joe. ?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
martno1fan

Jamming i think if you understand what Joe is trying to say is that the zippkits was legal then they decided to change the rules.Probably to eliminate it from the competition(pressure from more expensive hull makers maybe) this is my reckoning anyway.When the t boat series was starting out i believe Joe came out with the rivett and rockett specifically to allow guys like you to get into the racing cheaply ,it isnt his fault they then decided to go and change the rules.I think there were several zippkits t boats racing when they first started the class ,now only in certain areas as i understand it.Stupid rule where a matter of a cpl on inches eliminates one gas boat from racing another,i thought it was suposed to be a class for stock motors in scale t boats so it shouldnt matter about 1 or 2 inches.
Mart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.