Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

EASY VEE BUILD *NEED MORE HELP* (almost done bare with me)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

EASY VEE BUILD *NEED MORE HELP* (almost done bare with me)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 PM
stackeddeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EASY VEE BUILD *NEED MORE HELP* (almost done bare with me)

Thanks lawhound, I would have used the dremel but it is fried right now... By the way guys... my name is NOT vick.. that is just my username at modelgasboats.com... I don't mind you calling me that but just saying.. I named my account thing there that just because I like Michael Vick the football player (no I don'tlike what he did to the dogs but am still a fan )

Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Dartman1074

I think you have done a great job on this build. The paint looks great. Keep up the good work.. Looks like you will be getting her wet soon.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
srw1960

Ok got caught up..sorry to be absent for so long...as for the paint issue I told him specifically what paint to get from o reillys and from what he told me he did if he got what I told him to they should have both been lacquer's however dupli color did have some red meatalic paint in enamle so he may not have paid close enough attention...but an excellent learning experience I think more than likely what happened was in his attempt to get the white spots out he got the clear on so wet it reanimated the base color and when he touched it and it went off to the primer it was just still soooooo wet I think if he had just not paniced it probably would have dried out ok..(thats why I gave ya my number for just such emergencies) If you still have the empty cans around read the labels itll say whether its enamel or lacquer probably at the bottom of the label..and FYI lacquer can not be sprayed over enamel...
Anyway bottom line is I think it came out just fine very good job especialy given the problems....

OK youve leared another valuable lesson about the flex shaft..last word I heard from ya about it you were going to get a local mechanic to cut it for ya??? a cut off saw is the ONLY WAY to cut a flex shaft youre cutting it 1 starnd at a time with side cutters has unwound the cut end and its to large a diameter to fit into the collet..the only way to fix it is cut about an inch off the allready cut end but somehow I dont think you have enough shaft now to do that...soooo I bet your gonna need to get a new cable..aeromarine carries them or there are a few lised on ebay right now also marine specialties carries them there about 24 to 28 bucks...the freebies you can get from the lawn mower shops will work but youll have to solder a stub onto one end of it and you have no way to solder anything..soooo there ya have it...

The throttle servo issue is a setting on the fail safe..

Also the pipe bracket I made for ya was suposed to be mounted on the back of the radio box not the front of the transom .. the dimension you gave me was for the radio box thats why the pipe is sticking up so high...it looks like the radio box has moved from the location I saw when I made the bracket and I dont think itll mount on the radio box and work soooooo unhook the pipe and drop it down to the height you need it and measure from the hole in the mounting tab on the pipe to the hole in the bracket and I can make a new upright piece for ya!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
srw1960

trying to edit my baddddddddd spelling and it wont let me[:@]sorry bout that
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
stackeddeck

hey! thanks.. the mount is fine... I could have worked on either the radio box or transom but it worked better on the transom.. all I have to do is move it down lower.. it will work great.. Im just gonna buy a new shaft.. and are you saying I gotta trim it down to fit it into the collet? How do I fix the failsafe? (it was 25 bucks...) thanks !!! sorry thats all I got but I have to go to bed!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
srw1960

No you dont have to trim the flex shaft after you cut it BUT THE SHAFT HAS TO BE CUT WITH A CUT OFF TOOL anything else unwinds the wires that make the flex shaft and expands it thats why youres doesnt fit anymore...you have a skill saw right????go to home depot and get an ABRASIVE metal cut off blade that fits your saw and use that to cut it with wrap the shaft with electrical tape where your going to cut it at use a white grease pencil to mark the cut on the black tapeOr you can use moms lipstick just dont tell her I told ya that[sm=72_72.gif]..dont try to use a so called fine tooth metal cutting blade on the skill saw thatll realy mess things up and no a hacksaw wont do it either...the blad is made from grit and is black in color thatll do the trick for ya to cut the new cable......

The failsafe should have come with instructions how to set it follow them and see if the throttle servo doesnt come back to life thats a brand new servo I sent ya so I doubt seriously the servo is the issue...also when your hooking up the fail safe make sure the batteries are fresh its set to shut down the throttle when battery voltage drops below a set point..if youve been running the servoes alot setting control rods and what have ya I bet the batts are low......
let me know about the pipe bracket im glad to make a shorter one if we need to..

and again you have done an excellent job..proud of ya for taking on such a challenge and making it come out so nice

I have little doubt it hits the water and runs great
Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
stackeddeck

hey steve, the muffler mount works perfectly.. no need to make another

the servo also is perfectly fine.. it works great without the failsafe but when I hook the failsafe up it seems to not get power.. I am 99.9% I am hooking it up right.. I followed the instructions.

as for the flex cable.. I understand what you mean now about why it doesn't fit in collet anymore.. I will go to local mechanic he has one of those air powered hand saw things... (the same thing he used to get the stripped screws out of engine mount) I think it will work.. we have a skill saw but I don't wanna get another blade because we don't use it often. I bought some little blades and a collet thing that could hold them for our drill... The guy at hobby town said it would cut the flex cable.. it barely dented it.. and hobbytowns failsafe wouldn't work... someone is getting a visit trust me lol...

Thanks everyone and sorry to let you guys down but...... I'm going out of town all this weekend so the boat probably won't hit the water untill next weekend.. I hate it as much as ya'll do.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 AM
srw1960

Ok Im afraid the drill wont spin fast enough to do a good job that blade from home depot or lowes is like 7 bucks is all..I realy think thatd be the best that our beg the mechanic to use his cut off grinder to do it and give him the 7 bucks!!!!

Ok I dont think you caught on to what I meant about the fail safe....the most likely reason the throttle servo doesnt work when hooked up to the fail safe is becaue the fail safe is doing its job and has it shut down...a fail safe kicks in when 1 of 2 things happen..the first is LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE....the second is LOSS OF RADIO SIGNAL....when either of those 2 conditions are detected the fail safe shuts down the throttle servo but will continue to allow for steering so you can hopefully have a bit of control...thats why I said check the batteries on the receiver if they are 2 low the fail safe is just doing its job....also when I sent you that radio I had to remove the antenae from the transmittier it just screws in and out you did screw it back on didnt ya???? with no antenae on the transmitter even in close proximity the fail safe may see too week a signal to let the throttle servo work...
Put a fresh set of batteries in the receiver pack and try the failsafe again and see if everything works
Old 10-07-2009, 09:22 PM
stackeddeck

hey the batteries are brand new in the reciever.. the batteries in the radio are the ones you gave me but i ran outside and walked like 20 yards away and the rudder was still turning.. (that wasnt the limit) anyway... I dunno... I will play with the failsafe later.. not enough time tonight.oh and I did screw the antennae back in

thanks steve!!! talk to you guys later!!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 PM
srw1960

Ok then you are probably right and have gotten a bad failsafe..and 20 feet is good for a radio check make sure and do it with the antenae on the transmitter all the way down....
cant wait to see it on the water and have fun on your trip this weekend....
Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 AM
fastcat777

so did it run ??????????? i just read the whole post like a novel and now its like a 8.00 movie that ends with to be continued......... lol so so so what happened ? im trying to get mine running right now
Old 10-08-2010, 02:15 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in seeing how it ran also! I have my easy vee almost ready for paint, and I need some motivation to get her running!LOL!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Bumpinyota

+2 on an update - my easyvee is coming along very slowly too...
Old 10-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motivation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjq5mqvStAI
Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, THAT'S COOL! Thanks Joe!