Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Share pics of your first gas boat

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Share pics of your first gas boat

Old 11-28-2009, 12:56 PM
nieto1124
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Share pics of your first gas boat

heres my first. first boat ! first paint job! still original as i built here in the early 80's. Mac watercooled 22cc motor with AMP's drive on it. I still have this boat. runs like a champ paint still in great shape. not the fastest on the lake thats for sure. but very dependable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53721.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1322066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69926.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1322067  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 PM
goodson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Share pics of your first gas boat

after a couple electrics, i graduated. here's a pic of my Rio next to my new project build. i started with a scratch and dent from tower hobbies and rigged in engine and hardware. it ended up better than i expected and i definately learned.

what it looks like on the inside, semi custom header and all

Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Curryfamily2019

Awesome thread!!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 AM
fuma

here you go
Old 07-20-2019, 11:45 AM
delche

Is that a zipkits boat?

Originally Posted by fuma

here you go
Old 07-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes it is
Old 08-02-2019, 03:54 AM
fuma

pro-vee
Old 08-23-2019, 05:03 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A Falcon 41 was the first and the American RC Boats Vee-Rod the second.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:59 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
A Falcon 41 was the first and the American RC Boats Vee-Rod the second.
Thought you were older (in the hobby) than that Ron!! Were you a nitro guy prior?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Thought you were older (in the hobby) than that Ron!! Were you a nitro guy prior?
Yes, I ran nitro before that for quite a few years.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Do the boats need to be finished and running or is under construction okay too?
Old 10-22-2021, 04:14 AM
Johnwan1962

Originally Posted by goodson
after a couple electrics, i graduated. here's a pic of my Rio next to my new project build. i started with a scratch and dent from tower hobbies and rigged in engine and hardware. it ended up better than i expected and i definately learned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094-1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2271016

what it looks like on the inside, semi custom header and all

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3136.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	2271017
I am a newby going to build my first Deep vee hull 45.5” x 13.5” x 9”. What to use a homelite 26cc w/clutch. Can you recommend a prop size and pitch, that will get me safely running on calm water pond. I want to use inline shaft holder with prop followed by rudder.

any recommendations would be helpful

thank you

john
The following users liked this post:
AMXer (02-13-2022)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:17 PM
Justaddwata

Originally Posted by Johnwan1962
I am a newby going to build my first Deep vee hull 45.5” x 13.5” x 9”. What to use a homelite 26cc w/clutch. Can you recommend a prop size and pitch, that will get me safely running on calm water pond. I want to use inline shaft holder with prop followed by rudder.

any recommendations would be helpful

thank you

john
My advice is build the boat first then track down the prop. Realistically my most highly recommended prop for any (and every) gas prop collection is a Prather 270 and 275. They are surprisingly effective at just about any type of hull at getting you to near the performance capabilities of the boat. Will take a lot of trial and error to find a prop that works better (at least 98% of the time at least). The Prather is also one of the least expensive props out there.
Certainly start a new thread as you get your build started !
AMXer (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 06:29 PM
AMXer

Its amazing to see the evolution from 2009 to 2021 on this thread, some of the changes in the exhaust and the gas engines appearance is impressive for sure.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:05 AM
Justaddwata

Originally Posted by AMXer
Its amazing to see the evolution from 2009 to 2021 on this thread, some of the changes in the exhaust and the gas engines appearance is impressive for sure.
Sadly I see a considerable backward step in Gas RC Boats the past few years (in the hobby as a whole). With many European countries and high end builders switching away from Gasoline based power there has been a limited supply of development at best. Inline motors, turbines - are essentially gone from the marketplace regrettably. Maybe there will be some options in the future but I am not overly confident.

Electrics are increasingly faster out of the box and the number of new boaters looking for an 80+ MPH starter boat is both scary and ever increasing. Gone are the days when experience and years of work were required to earn such speeds.
Dana W (02-23-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 04:27 PM
dwr9

Way back in 2003. Doug
Old 02-25-2022, 06:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Sadly I see a considerable backward step in Gas RC Boats the past few years (in the hobby as a whole). With many European countries and high end builders switching away from Gasoline based power there has been a limited supply of development at best. Inline motors, turbines - are essentially gone from the marketplace regrettably. Maybe there will be some options in the future but I am not overly confident.

Electrics are increasingly faster out of the box and the number of new boaters looking for an 80+ MPH starter boat is both scary and ever increasing. Gone are the days when experience and years of work were required to earn such speeds.
I would agree with a majority of what you said but, that being said, part of the problem with gas and nitro is the "I WANT IT NOW!!!!" mentality of the younger members of society. They have been taught that all they have to do is complain enough and they will get what they want. Unfortunately, they never learned that, to get what you want, you have to be willing to do the work and spend the time to learn the hows and whys that make what they want actually work. Give them the choice of either building something from wood, assembling something from premade FG parts or buying something that's RTR, they will invariably take the RTR. This was graphically demonstrated a while back when Pro Boat released their little Bud/Circus/Elam boats. They sold like hotcakes, only to show up on Ebay when the purchaser couldn't get it to run in the manner they wanted. Right after the initial run on the boats, I went into a LHS, only to find several of the boats that had been returned as "defective" and replaced by the Aquacraft electric hydros that came out shortly after the Pro Boats.
When you look at the shelves at the LHS or offerings online, you see few boats and most of the planes are either RTF, ARF or "plug and fly" types, most of the RTF and "plug and fly"types being made of foam. They are serious "money makers" for the manufacturers since they are cheap to make and easily disposable if damaged. Add to that the "self-correcting" electronics, almost anyone can fly them. This falls right into the desires of the "I WANT IT NOW!!!" crowd, since all they have to do is:
  • spend some money
  • take the plane/boat home
  • do some minor assembly
  • install batteries
  • fly/run until they crash
  • REPEAT!!!
For the manufacturer, this is a win-win business model, until the "I WANT IT NOW!!!" crowd goes on to the next fad, such as drones that almost fly themselves and can take pictures or video.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:37 AM
Del Cervelo

Doing my first gas build at the moment, two actually. Always wanted an Apache, so started that last week. pics to follow.