Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New Zen 260 Inline Twin from WHH

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New Zen 260 Inline Twin from WHH

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
planebasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Zen 260 Inline Twin from WHH

Any thoughts or opinions on the Inline Twin from WHH presently on E-Bay for 600.00; "Buy It Now Price"

Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Nosedragger

Default RE: New Zen 260 Inline Twin from WHH

thoughts?

LOOOOONNNNGGGG
and

HEEEEAAAVVVYY

Its a good deal though, except being stock cylinders you won't gain any rpm, all the torque put into a big prop will only roll a mono on its side and the clutch in between doesn't sound good.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
apache 56

can u post up the link...

seems to be a cupple people making these set ups now....

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM
HOOTERS racing

if you dont want to wast time and money then buy one from danny at sonic racing he has the best setup around in my eyes
those ones from WWH with the clutch are just wrong the motors need to be set up one a TDC and one at BDC not kick in when the clutch spins up
the will shake the crap out of the boat and every thing in it being out of wack

cheers
Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://whobbies.com/ez520.htm
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Jon DesJardins

After reading about the WHH version of the twin engine it seems they have gone over all of the bad things and found ways to make it reliable?
interesting for sure...
Old 12-03-2009, 03:27 AM
dicko

I'd stick with Danny's set up.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I spoke with Tony (WHH) at length about his motor some time ago. I too was curious about variations in performance and harmonics if the motors were to engage at a point other than 180 degrees opposed. Tony stated he had many hours testing on a motor (believe it was in the order of 20) on one motor with no ill effects. He was satisfied with the motor as a product and has put their name on it (WHH are not known for selling problems).

I was planning on getting one to evaluate but as yet have not (tied up with too many other projects). While the inline zens look big and bulky - the have a lower COG than a QD35 and are within a few ounces in weight.

I dont know the specifics of the motor on e-bay but would think for the price (if new) it is a reasonable deal. I was prepared to spend more for one

Indeed Danny (Sonic) was a pioneer in the development of inline zens - but what Tony has done could never be confused with an inline from Danny. The two have used very different means to achieve a similar result.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Nosedragger

I would rather not have the weight and length from the clutch in between the engines though.Redline has an inline kit thats shorter and lighter.
If you add a clutch to the output shaft...in the words of Sheriff Brody "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Whats the smallest deep vee someone had put one of these WHH engines into? would it fit with a clutch on the output in a 56" Apache?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Justaddwata

I think you would have no problems fitting one in a 56" Vee though pipes would either need to be plumbed forward or be exposed through the transom.

The WHH Twinline does not look to be much longer with clutch between motors than the other coupler setups - I would say less than an inch difference.

I believe the cat that Tony has the motor installed in on his site is a 60" cat - plenty of room there - http://whobbies.com/ez520/6.JPG
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Nosedragger

Can you get just the clutch and coupler? I already have the engines.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Justaddwata

You might have to check with Tony there - I was thinking the same thing myself.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM
john d in texas

Has anyone used one of the coupler kits from RedLine ??? Been looking for some feedback on it... John D....
Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM
HOOTERS racing

from what i heard the a poor copy of the sonic racing but i could be wrong
like said before if you want to do it go with sonic's one at least have a at them

cheers
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
john d in texas

Isn't Sonic Racing in Australia ?? If so does anyone sell them here in the States ??? John D....
Old 12-03-2009, 03:52 PM
brodjack

ORIGINAL: Nosedragger

I would rather not have the weight and length from the clutch in between the engines though.Redline has an inline kit thats shorter and lighter.
If you add a clutch to the output shaft...in the words of Sheriff Brody ''I think we're gonna need a bigger boat.''

Whats the smallest deep vee someone had put one of these WHH engines into? would it fit with a clutch on the output in a 56'' Apache?
heres my one of boating buddys Makara 56"(Apache lookalike)
Easy fit for inlines plus a clutch also.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...refit002-1.jpg

Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Justaddwata

The Redline Kits are a version of the first generation coupler kit Sonic produced 3 or so years back. They work fine. I have heard reports of bearing issues in the zens after some hours but have not encountered it (clearly I need to spend more time on the water!!). I believe an additional support bearing can be added to one of the motors that may or may not help (I say may or may not since I dont know if the bearing is needed in the first place!!).

I have also have couplers from Hobby Depot which is another approach and differs slightly from all the others. These can also accommodate an additional bearing (if it is needed). I have only bench fired mine so far and have one in the Geico cat along with one identical to the Redline (which use to be sold by XXXBoatworks).

I have not seen first hand Sonics latest version of the coupler though imagine it a good design - Danny runs his stuff hard so I imagine it is rock solid.

No dealers for Sonic in the US - deal with him direct - you also save a little with the exchange rate.

I have never had any issues with Sonic or Hobby Depot (both in Australia) with deliveries or communication.

http://sonicracingaustralia.com
http://www.hobbydepot.com.au/product...roducts_id=480
Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: brodjack
heres my one of boating buddys Makara 56''(Apache lookalike)
Easy fit for inlines plus a clutch also.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...refit002-1.jpg
If you kept the pipes like that you might fit two twins in there!!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
brodjack

He did actually consider 2 inlines.[8D]..
Heres a bit of video of the insides.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ady4488#p/u/6/qJmAi3b1-9Q
this thing has brutal power,kinda makes single motor boats seem tame.lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 PM
sonicracing

Your almost right Matt, It was 6 years ago when I did the gen 1 connectors that are still being manufactured in the US today and it was over 5 years ago when I said that they didn't last. They are OK for a quick run or two every few months but not for the every weekend use that I give them. George from RC Jets retails an authorized copy of my gen 4 version and works very well when assembled correctly. My quad catamaran still has gen 4 connectors installed that haven't been touched in over 3 years. I have also supplied George with the technical drawings for my gen 5 crank connector piece which he is currently manufacturing and testing. PMB has also released there own unauthorized copy of my gen 5 connector in the UK and provided it is assembled correctly, would be a good unit. Tony from WHH has a great concept with his version that uses a clutch but it's not how I would do it. I see there is yet another concept for connecting engines offered on Ebay so 'To each there own' there are plenty of options these days to choose from.

I still believe that the engines need to fire 180 degrees apart so where my latest gen 6 connector is different to all my previous versions is, the engines are timed after they are fully assembled but all connectors will become obsolete in 2010. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Cheers, Danny.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Justaddwata

whats happening in 2010?? You cannot leave me hanging there Danny
Old 12-05-2009, 06:53 AM
HOOTERS racing

yeah do tell
Old 12-05-2009, 09:04 AM
gtdad

sounds like he otta keep it on the low down til he gets whatever it is he has ideas for done. seems like some some people tried to copy his ideas and it sure is cold and plenty of time for the copy cats to do their dirty work....
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
tborisch

Take it from me. I put two inlines in an Expresscraft GTX.. WAY TO MUCH POWER! It's not even functional!

They Fit, Barely! [:@]

Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 AM
tborisch

ORIGINAL: sonicracing

Your almost right Matt, It was 6 years ago when I did the gen 1 connectors that are still being manufactured in the US today and it was over 5 years ago when I said that they didn't last. They are OK for a quick run or two every few months but not for the every weekend use that I give them. George from RC Jets retails an authorized copy of my gen 4 version and works very well when assembled correctly. My quad catamaran still has gen 4 connectors installed that haven't been touched in over 3 years. I have also supplied George with the technical drawings for my gen 5 crank connector piece which he is currently manufacturing and testing. PMB has also released there own unauthorized copy of my gen 5 connector in the UK and provided it is assembled correctly, would be a good unit. Tony from WHH has a great concept with his version that uses a clutch but it's not how I would do it. I see there is yet another concept for connecting engines offered on Ebay so 'To each there own' there are plenty of options these days to choose from.

I still believe that the engines need to fire 180 degrees apart so where my latest gen 6 connector is different to all my previous versions is, the engines are timed after they are fully assembled but all connectors will become obsolete in 2010. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Cheers, Danny.
Hey Danny, If this came from anybody else, I would say they were just blowing smoke! But seeing as it's you, I know whatever your cooking up will be incredible!

When it comes with inlines, motro mounts, etc. Don't look any further than Danny.. I only use his stuff, period.

TWIN INLINES FROM SONIC RACING AUSTRALIA:

SONIC RACING INLINES IN CLASSONE R/C 92" CAT:

TWIN INLINE SONIC RACING R60:

Tom

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.