Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Tragic Loss of Victory 1's crew

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Tragic Loss of Victory 1's crew

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
stinky17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragic Loss of Victory 1's crew

It is with a heavy heart that I post this. Being that a lot of us have scale class 1 boats, I thought that you guys mite want to know. We play with these things, These guys play with death. The following is from the class 1 website.

December 11, 2009: Dubai (UAE): Officials of the UIM and WPPA regret to announce the tragic deaths of pilots Mohammad Al Mehairi from the UAE and Jean-Marc Sanchez of France following a racing accident today during race one of the Dubai Grand Prix, the final round of the Class 1 World Powerboat Championship.

The two pilots, representing the Dubai Victory Team, were involved in a high-speed crash during the early stages of the race at the Dubai International Marine Club, which was subsequently red flagged.

Safety personnel attended to both pilots at the scene. They were subsequently airlifted to a local hospital, where all efforts to resuscitate them were in vain.

The Victory Team, UIM, WPPA, DIMC and IOTA pass on their deepest condolences to the families of both pilots.

As a mark of respect to both pilots and their families the event organisers have cancelled tomorrow’s race and all event activities.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Tragic Loss of Victory 1's crew

These things do happen in racing. If you go back through the past 60 years of the Unlimited Hydroplane racing, there was one driver killed per year on average prior to 1983. Even though nobody since Dean Chenowith has died from a racing accident, this past summer Jean Theoret came close. Dispite all the safety inovations, he almost drown after his boat blew over and his air line was torn. Only the quick response of the rescue team saved him as he had to be revived from water filled lungs. While I'm not trying to downplay the tragic loss of two men, they did know the risks and died doing someting they loved doing. My condolences to their families and teammates
Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that is indeed some real sad news.

Boat racing is a far more dangerous sport than any wheeled racing - such a dynamic track - plus the risks of drowning after a wreck.

Just last year I was shooting pics of a cat which moments later had flipped and killed both on board. Wont soon forget that. http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/aeroexpress
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
gtopillado

Sad to hear the news....I thank them for their contribution to the sport, God bless them and their families.[sm=crying.gif]
Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 PM
nooh

Indeed very very Sad.. Its on youtube already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeQloe8rJs
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 PM
lewisdf4

Next to Air racing, C1 powerboats is in my opinion one of the most thrilling and awe-inspiring spectator sports out, and must be one of the most dangerous, unpredictable and demanding on the people who participate in it. Condolances to their freinds, family and team mates. These guys were truly legends in their field....
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 PM
rcguy1411

R.I.P my thought and prayers to all their friends and family i lost a friend to a race a few years ago and its hard to think it can happen to you always the other guy
Old 12-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

My thought and prayers to there friends and family . R.I.P
Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Jon DesJardins

absolutely sad
Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Paul M

A sad situation indeed and a stark reminder of how dangerous a sport it is.

A question and a comment.

1) Anyone know why the Class 1 guys haven't adopted the break away capsule system the drag boat racers employ? Seems like the majority of the fatal drag boat crashes I have heard about occurred when the capsule fails to separate from the hull. Seems like there is some value in getting away from the hull during the crash.

2) Gotta be nerve wracking trying to rescue someone with 50 foot power boats whipping by at a 150 mph.[X(]
Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Paul M

A sad situation indeed and a stark reminder of how dangerous a sport it is.

A question and a comment.

1) Anyone know why the Class 1 guys haven't adopted the break away capsule system the drag boat racers employ? Seems like the majority of the fatal drag boat crashes I have heard about occurred when the capsule fails to separate from the hull. Seems like there is some value in getting away from the hull during the crash.

2) Gotta be nerve wracking trying to rescue someone with 50 foot power boats whipping by at a 150 mph.[X(]
I can only guess but perhaps the fact that they crash less frequently and a little less violently than drag boats. But I really dont know why they dont use air masks or have something close to hand. It is not like these are budget boats.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
rcguy1411

can t imagine why they wernt using a positive air breathing mask
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Paul M

Oh my gosh. So they drowned?? That is truly unbelievable. As Matt said these are not built with any expense spared. Hard to believe they aren't equipped with some sort of breathing apparatus.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
stinky17

Hey Guys,

I beleive all Class 1 boats have to have 20mins of oxygen per person onboard with approite breathing masks. I really dont know the full story but perhaps they were knocked unconcisous in the crash and didnt get their masks on?. As I say i really dont know.

Stinky
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Paul M

I looked again at the video and no masks and nowhere near as "tied in" as drag boat guys are.

I know the crashes aren't as violent but still... I guess it may have to with the amount of time the pilots are in the boat maybe? Although drag boat pilots may be in there suits/capsules 2 hours before they run by the time they are loaded in the water and pulled up to start..,. even though the run is only about 5 seconds[X(]
Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 PM
chief3452

In my opinion there are a few glaring problems in this tragic accident. 1st, no boat racer of any craft traveling over 150 mph should be without supplemental breathing apparatus. 2nd, from what I can tell in the video it took over 2 minutes to extract anyone of the crew, obviously way too long underwater with no scuba. 3rd, the rescure personel were ill-equipped to even walk on the slick bottom of the boat, further hindering their efforts...perhaps some training with proper footwear is in order. And 4th, what the hell are the officials doing allowing competitors to continue to blast around the course...sheez, throw the red flag and enforce an immediate mill time to allow rescue craft clear water to reach the accident. In hindsight it is always easy to see what went wrong, but I think this was preventable. That is the real tragedy.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 AM
nvs motorsports

Ok just an update both crew have emergency air tanks of up to 10 mins
The boats are built with a safety capusule that remains a structural member of the boat it does not break away
There is a escape hatch underneath in the tunnel area so when you upside down you can get out
Now ill get you to go to the you tube link NOOH has linked on here and look at the end of the video and freeze it when you can see the boat on the crane
The whole deck area in front of the cockpit is gone the boat suffered massive damage with in turn damaged the cockpit ( if you look carefully you can see a white patch that is the white paint of the inside of the cockpit) area front on the boat is twisted slightly which would have jammed the ecape hatch underneath hench why they had to fish the bodies out from under the up turned hull
It is a very sad moment and an absolute freak accident
These boats are built with the utmost safety in mind