Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

clutches and pumps

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

clutches and pumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 PM
apache 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutches and pumps

I just want to know if it is really neccessary to install a pump for a clutched engine or not. If you plan on leaving the boat idling in the water for any length of time I can see why.
But if you're moving constantly is it really needed? My big apache is hard to launch otherwise and I don't want to add bib ugly handles to throw it with.
I also as an amateur do not want to be drilling holes in a brand new motor just because the dealer refuses to answer my emails(questions),after several attempts,(quickdraw,gizmo).
Do I have to buy an overpriced complete system from Bonzi just to be on the safe side?
I don"t want to sound argumentative ,but do american companies not like dealing with canadians?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: clutches and pumps

There's always a little risk involved one way or the other.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Canadian and run / build large scale Cats ... most with clutches and pumps .. if you add a clutch for the little extra add the pump .,,, safe insurance.

For anything you need just email me ... I don't sell parts but can help you find what you need ,,, and I know who deals okay with Canadians

email me if you need any info           [email protected]

Randy
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
FlogginHarvey

Hmm, here's anothjer opinion for ya!

I like clutches and pumps on my bigger boats for those very reasons. If you have a cutch it is VERY tempting to let it sit at idle and lose track....sizzle-BANG. No more motor.

I have installed a couple of water pumps on motors that came without just a matter of drilling and installe=ing a thread hose barb into the insulator block for the carb. There is a Water Pump install thread here that JAW made a few months back (use the Search Function at the top) and I think there is one on the Warehouse Hobbies website and possibly Bonzi site as well. I usually post a link but am taking a quicky break from some marketing work and don't have time to search around today.

As far as Todd @ Quickdraw his service has been over the top thus far typically within 48 hours every time with just the right details and answers. Please remember it is the Holidays and the guys might be a bit busy getting motors built/rebuilt, parts shipped and family stuff. They may even have shut down for the week arpound the Holiday other companies where I work sure have: suckers.

Go to the website and pop him a note via e-mail...he will get back with you.

With Bruce at Gizmo, same thing. His response time for questions and concerns prior and after the sale has been great so far on my end. Holidays are crazy for everyone and every company I know of (the one I work for included) is NUTS and WELL understaffed due to the wonderful economy.

Good luck with the builds and Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:33 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No theyre not needed just dont idle for longer than necessary but make sure your radio is set to kill the motor when needed and allways run a failsafe.That said you dont need to drill holes in motors to fit a pump ? just tap the isolator block as said above .Personally i dont let my boats idle arround long enough to need a pump but i can see they have a use especially on bigger boats,theyre cheaper than a new motor thats for sure .
Mart.
heres an easy to follow how to if you do decide to go with one.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#8585060
Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
apache 1

Thanks for answering my question guys. I thought the answer would probably be as such . Wish it could of been answered by the people I was
hoping to order a motor from 3 months ago but oh well.
I think I'll just trust my fellow boaters for info and buy private from now now on. Regardless of how much I like the QDHT25 or the RCMKevo.
On that note I saw a venom  4.5KWA pretty cheap on rcu classifieds(thats a sikk 4.5hp isn't it?) . That and a cheap Oneill brothers exhaust system and clutch should get a 57"apache doing somewhere around 40mph shouldn't it?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
mistycreekboats

You can get the same price for a Zenoah 260 with a WT 257 carb  direct from Sean at O Neil 

- get a package from him and save on shipping and costs,  Great guys and ship fast to Canada 

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rcboat/motors.htm

I get a lot from him and always quick

Randy
Old 12-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Jon DesJardins

I'm so glad I have a clutch and water pump on my Team Pro, don't know what I would do without it.

I wouldnt even consider it a "fun" boat, more of a race boat without both those working in combination.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
mistycreekboats

.Personally i dont let my boats idle arround long enough to need a pump but i can see they have a use especially on bigger boats,theyre cheaper than a new motor thats for sure .
Mart.

Famous last words above ... no one ever plans on idleing too long but it happens ... I don't cheap out and spend the couple bucks to add a pump ... if I have a extensively modified engine I use a pump - with or with out the clutch .. if you break a cable and engine doesn't shut off you can sit and watch your engine cook.. Spend the couple of bucks and run pumps.

Pump = 30.00 or Engine = 250 to 750.00 ..  take your choice if something goes wrong (oh and it will just a matter oh time)

Randy
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
wildman51

It kinda smells like bacon cooking.......lol
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
twindaddy66

It is my personal preference to run clutches and water pumps mainly for the safety factor. Where I run right now is around docks, other boats, swimming floats etc. Kinda crowded. To get out in the running area, I have to navigate through stuff to get there, so it's better to go slow. Also applies coming back in to shore....

If I had an open shore area to run where I could "throw" the boat in like a lot of others, I would problably not run them in my boat.

Another plus..and this is purely cosmetic...it just looks darn cool idling along....

Cheers
T-Daddy