Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Gas Jet Boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Gas Jet Boaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Gas Jet Boaters

WOW , Nice job Scott . Pretty fast as well . Can't wait to hear how she does .
Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee Scott u don't waste any time ......... looks very cool should run sweet ..... is Carmen's pipe a 1" ? ....... Is there enough room for a deep V type header ?

Thanks

Randy
Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
dicko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking Good Scott.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

Gee Scott u don't waste any time ......... looks very cool should run sweet ..... is Carmen's pipe a 1'' ? ....... Is there enough room for a deep V type header ?

Thanks

Randy
Carmens stuff is all 7/8" header based ... Deep V header absolutely, tho length before you have to deal with transom will be an issue []
* My second choice of pipe is one of the obsolete Cooper Shorties that would be ideal on a DV header or WTC.

Just as an FYI ... this build has C/L of engines exhaust flange @ 10" from transom. ** So measure up a D/V header and pipe and see if you have the length required ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14794.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1389530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49712.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1389531  
Old 03-02-2010, 01:34 AM
infinityteg

looking good scott. cant wait to see it run.

On another subject, I pulled the molds apart today. going to start wet sanding and polishing tomorrow

cheers
steve
Old 03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: Dana W

Scott the DaVette Sprint boat is 34'' long
Still going to be Fun Fun Fun ... 34'' at 27% CG = 9.19''

Sorry bud, my bad[:-]
This is tough, my C/G is at 10 1/4" right now or @ 30%
* Even when I place engine @ 1/2" closer to pump, and move radio gear back an inch, C/G only shifts @ 1/4" [] so that's not a cure.
Maybe the heavier RCMK engine is the culprit here ? .... Being a FUN boat and weight pretty much a mute point, some lead shot at transom may be only way to bump the C/G rearward enough. Looks like @ 1/2 - 3/4 # will do it with some quick checking tossing in some wheel weights.

Will run it As-Is first and get a feel for handling attributes before adding some lead shot & epoxy matrix in corners of transom.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
infinityteg

Have you decided what your going to do with the roll cage?

cheer
steve
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: infinityteg

Have you decided what your going to do with the roll cage?

cheer
steve
If asking me ? ... Not there yet.
Likely going to use some thin wall SS tubing and bend something up.
Or not worry about the scale look and not have one at all.

* Idea I just had reviewing pictures of other boats earlier in thread was building a pump guard assembly that would be on transom and give more weight out back that might be better than a bunch of shot within interior ?
But then again with such a thin non reinforced transom, having a pump guard attached may just damage it if hit hard enough. [:@]
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
mickieb49

Hi all, i have a guard over my pump and it has not damaged anything yet , i guess it comes down to how wild a driver you are.

Just though i'd share my build, and yes it is the same one on ebay.
The roll cage is Stainless tubing, just thought it adds character.

Name:	Ec87630.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1390058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58972.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1390059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81496.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1390060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65617.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1390061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr90609.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1390062  
Old 03-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Scott Schneider

Dana,

It's done !! .... obsessive building getting it finished in 8 days. Having all the stuff in another hull made it a LOT easier, but still some stuff changed that was learned on the first one.
Should make it out for a pond day in a couple weeks for some shake down runs.
Finished RTR weight minus fuel 12.5#'s

Name:	Hf99632.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1391431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39845.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1391432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50624.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1391433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25512.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1391434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13108.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1391435  
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 AM
dicko

Check this out... I bet a change of pants are in order for the marshal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzKc...layer_embedded

There's a few more on v8superboats.com.au
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Scott Schneider

Crickey !! ... run away run away !!!
ORIGINAL: dicko

Check this out... I bet a change of pants are in order for the marshal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzKc...layer_embedded

There's a few more on v8superboats.com.au
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
mickieb49

Interesting....
  I have had a little trouble starting my Zenoah on the weekend , it seems like it was flooding once i was using the pullstarter , can anyone tell me what their setings are on the carby?    I started at with the Low on 1+-1/4, High 1 5/8+-1/4 ?  .   It wasn't even trying to start, plenty of spark and the fuel is fresh  ??????    all i have now is a sore arm .  Please help as i am at a loss of what is going on.

Also getting rid of a few Swashdrive MK1 jets,  not going to use them now as going to try my hand at Prop drives, PM me if your interested.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: mickieb49

Interesting....
I have had a little trouble starting my Zenoah on the weekend , it seems like it was flooding once i was using the pullstarter , can anyone tell me what their setings are on the carby? I started at with the Low on 1+-1/4, High 1 5/8+-1/4 ? . It wasn't even trying to start, plenty of spark and the fuel is fresh ?????? all i have now is a sore arm . Please help as i am at a loss of what is going on.

Also getting rid of a few Swashdrive MK1 jets, not going to use them now as going to try my hand at Prop drives, PM me if your interested.
If carb is free flowing fuel ... take apart carb and clean inlet screen and wipe off tip on inlet needle.
Stock Zen 644 carb @ 1 1/4 H - 1 1/2 L
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Scott Schneider"
Just as an FYI ... this build has C/L of engines exhaust flange @ 10'' from transom.
** So measure up a D/V header and pipe and see if you have the length required ?

As you can see on [link=http://www.quickdrawengines.com/Page_93.html]T H I S[/link] QD-page ... a DeepV-hotpipe will fit easely.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
dicko

ORIGINAL: HendricX

''Scott Schneider''
Just as an FYI ... this build has C/L of engines exhaust flange @ 10'' from transom.
** So measure up a D/V header and pipe and see if you have the length required ?

As you can see on [link=http://www.quickdrawengines.com/Page_93.html]T H I S[/link] QD-page ... a DeepV-hotpipe will fit easely.
The only problem with that pipe is that it may be too low. With the jet boats you mount the engine low and FLAT in the boat, they aren't mounted tilted up at the front like a normal setup. The pipe may be hitting the bottom of the boat unless it can be flipped over and go up instead of down.

I've been looking at the outboard pipe setups, but I don't think they will work either due the pipe dropping down too low on the exit from the engine. I'm now looking at some of the Baja pipes, but I'm not sure if they are designed to run on the powerbands we will be using. But I think they may be better than the high revving race pipe setups for high rpm boats. We need torque out of these engines.

Cheers
Jason
Old 03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
mickieb49

ORIGINAL: mickieb49

Interesting....
I have had a little trouble starting my Zenoah on the weekend , it seems like it was flooding once i was using the pullstarter , can anyone tell me what their setings are on the carby? I started at with the Low on 1+-1/4, High 1 5/8+-1/4 ? . It wasn't even trying to start, plenty of spark and the fuel is fresh ?????? all i have now is a sore arm . Please help as i am at a loss of what is going on.

Also getting rid of a few Swashdrive MK1 jets, not going to use them now as going to try my hand at Prop drives, PM me if your interested.
If carb is free flowing fuel ... take apart carb and clean inlet screen and wipe off tip on inlet needle.
Stock Zen 644 carb @ 1 1/4 H - 1 1/2 L
Thanks as i thought , i had the high needle a lot rich, i will try that.
Cheers
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dana,

It's done !! .... obsessive building getting it finished in 8 days. Having all the stuff in another hull made it a LOT easier, but still some stuff changed that was learned on the first one.
Should make it out for a pond day in a couple weeks for some shake down runs.
Finished RTR weight minus fuel 12.5#'s
what kind of jet drive is that? . I'm looking for one to finish this project . i don't know what kind went in her ?? i don't have the rest of the drive . ant help with finding a new one .

Name:	Bz78770.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1393960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23338.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1393961  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM
dicko

Scott's jet unit is a Swashdrive Gen II unit, no longer available unless you find one second hand. The unit you boat was set up for isn't a swashdrive unit, the swashdrive has a hexagonal backing plate. Try a Graupner unit which would probably be the easiest to get a hold of at present.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
infinityteg

the engine in my jet sprint is alot higher and from what i can see in scott it is the same. I have plenty of room under my engines and if it was a prop driven boat the engine would of been mounted alot lower. I have used drop mounts in the past and turned the rear mount upside down to get it higher (you can see this in scotts photos). i have since made my own rear mounts out of angle alloy.

I remember a post a while ago where some one welded a chain link to the hot pipe where they required and twisted the pipe to the required location.

That jet unit shown looks like the KMB unit that some people are going to be using in the davette sprint hulls. there is a link some where in this thread for them.

justed looked at the QD site and maybe the horizontal pipe or the outboard pipe would be the way to go

cheers
steve
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: dicko

Scott's jet unit is a Swashdrive Gen II unit, no longer available unless you find one second hand. The unit you boat was set up for isn't a swashdrive unit, the swashdrive has a hexagonal backing plate. Try a Graupner unit which would probably be the easiest to get a hold of at present.
can the Graupner unit Handel the zen motor i have in the hull ? i thought they are small pumps . [sm=confused.gif] how are the MHZ units ? thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
infinityteg

The graupner unit can handle the power of Zen. from what ive read in the past it seems the MHZ is a good unit (copy of the swasdrive) but very expensive

cheers
steve
Old 03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: infinityteg

the engine in my jet sprint is alot higher and from what i can see in scott it is the same. I have plenty of room under my engines and if it was a prop driven boat the engine would of been mounted alot lower. I have used drop mounts in the past and turned the rear mount upside down to get it higher (you can see this in scotts photos). i have since made my own rear mounts out of angle alloy.

I remember a post a while ago where some one welded a chain link to the hot pipe where they required and twisted the pipe to the required location.

That jet unit shown looks like the KMB unit that some people are going to be using in the davette sprint hulls. there is a link some where in this thread for them.

justed looked at the QD site and maybe the horizontal pipe or the outboard pipe would be the way to go

cheers
steve
are the KMB unit's for gas or electric ? this is the other hull to give you what size it is . the jet hull has a g26 zen in it . it has the impeller but i can not see ant markings in the pump ,to find parts [:'(]

Name:	Zx70049.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1394110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66631.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1394111  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: HendricX

''Scott Schneider''

I see that ... great pipe and likely a good fit along side engine rail. Tho likely flex would be 3" minimum to get power peak of pipe around 15-16K rpm
Old 03-09-2010, 01:07 AM
infinityteg

heres the link to the pump i think it looks like. it says its good for up to .90 nitro engines. I ran a weedeater through one and handled it fine. will try one again one day once ive finished my molds (almost done)

http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?op...d=11&Itemid=17

cheers
steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.