Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Need a bit of help on my Mod Engine.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Need a bit of help on my Mod Engine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
nooh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a bit of help on my Mod Engine.

Was playing up big time and just lost all Power.. So here it is, After pulling it apart I found a small piece of metal laying in the side of the case the problem maker , But went to take a pic and lost it [:@]. But these 2 pics should tell all.. Just wanted to know the best way to fix it or maybe just go buy a new Cylinder kit..

Thanks Henry..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93360.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1379252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41039.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1379253  
Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Dan S

Default RE: Need a bit of help on my Mod Engine.

looks like you need a new cylinder head and a piston.

Dan.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:24 AM
nooh

Hi Dan

thanks m8, I kinda new the piston and ring had its last day,, But the head seems ok to me..
Also thinking seeing its a mod motor and both ports been modify, would I need to Mod a new piston to get the engine to where is was in the first place..
Then again Ive had my fun with this Boat, So what somebody reckon just add a standard piston and give her an easy life..
Old 02-15-2010, 02:03 AM
MrMikeG

You could even clean up the piston and reuse it if you want to go really cheap. Is it from Daniel? He should be able to sell you new parts fairly cheap. Check the gundgen pin clips, looks like it could be one of them.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 AM
nooh

the gundgen pin clips, looks like it could be one of them.
Hi Mike.. you could be on to something. Its one of Daniels Mods alright, the tiny bit I lost and assume was the problem looked more SS than alum, then again what are gundgen clips made from. ?????????????????????. I have ordered a complete top end cylinder kit from Tony at Hobby supplies and if need be will post of the the piston to Daniel so he
can mod it...
The engine is about 2 years old now so suppose its done its best,, Im not complaining about Daniels Mods They will Scream long after he is gone..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:50 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive seen worse pistons than that run fine so it might be reuseable.That said you can pick modded pistons up real cheap nowadays.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:39 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: nooh

the gundgen pin clips, looks like it could be one of them.
Hi Mike.. you could be on to something. Its one of Daniels Mods alright, the tiny bit I lost and assume was the problem looked more SS than alum, then again what are gundgen clips made from. ?????????????????????. I have ordered a complete top end cylinder kit from Tony at Hobby supplies and if need be will post of the the piston to Daniel so he
can mod it...
The engine is about 2 years old now so suppose its done its best,, Im not complaining about Daniels Mods They will Scream long after he is gone..

ON ething to bear in mind - it might well be the case that the engine modder has done the piston suit the cylinder he makes, so you need to two to be matched. If you can not run what you have - and it looks pretty rough, it would make sense to get another piston and culinder, modded or stock, but a pair.

Glenn.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

yeah, I've seen pistons worse than that run just fine too... clean up the ring land and run it... the score in the jug would be more of a concern but looks fairly minor
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
nooh

Thanks everyone for your advice, Ive got a new Cylinder kit coming in the post But I will try to clean up what I have here first and see how this engine will run, Nothing to loose I suppose but like I said before had nearly 2 years out this engine so can't complain.

Henry.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:21 PM
rangerfredbob

if it runs, stick it on a shelf in a ziplock bag as a spare in case you blow the new set up
Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: rangerfredbob

if it runs, stick it on a shelf in a ziplock bag as a spare in case you blow the new set up
Hope to give her a clean up this week-end m8,, Hopefully the rain we are having down here will pass, Am wanting too see myself if it will be ok or as new as before, Then like you say can always save something for the scrap box if it don't want to run..

Henry.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:06 AM
MrMikeG

Daniel does Tony's engines for him so if you ordered mod parts they should be the same.
Gudgen pin clips are just semi circular bits of fine wire.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Scott Schneider

Thanks everyone for your advice, Ive got a new Cylinder kit coming in the post But I will try to clean up what I have here first and see how this engine will run, Nothing to loose I suppose but like I said before had nearly 2 years out this engine so can't complain.

Henry.
HIGHLY suggest you replace main bearings too ... Looks like it very well may have been a piece from a broken / damaged retainer cage.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
nooh

ORIGINAL: Scott Schneider

Henry.
HIGHLY suggest you replace main bearings too ... Looks like it very well may have been a piece from a broken / damaged retainer cage.

Thanks Mike have the new kit coming today I hope, If need be I can always send them of to Daniel, here are some more Pics I took I think the Piston is not bad everything looks ok except the piston pin needs replacing. But think I have found the problem, Scott maybe you right m8,, I had a look at the main Bearing, (I hope thats the one in the Crankshaft)
Maybe hard to see in the pic but one of the rollers seems broke, the small piece of metal I found then lost looks like half a roller. So Im thinking I will have to take the whole motor apart.. [] All I needed is another project..

Thanks everyone for the help.. Henry.

Name:	Om33492.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1380745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1380746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40983.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1380747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57092.jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1380748  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Scott Schneider

Crank is TOAST Main bearings toast, top end toast .... new engine time all around []
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 AM
rangerfredbob

yeah, wow... crankcase is about all you could salvage out of that, you need new bearings, wrist pin, and crank
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 AM
nooh

[] No good news then.. The Motor needs a Funeral. Tell me the Truth, I can take it..
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Scott Schneider

[] No good news then.. The Motor needs a Funeral. Tell me the Truth, I can take it..
Sorry Captain .... but the crew is dead
Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
benckie

i asked bob the builder can we fit it and he said na na mate shes rooted. your going to have to go new, seals, new bearings, new crank, new gaskits and a new top end kit sorry dude
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
nooh

Thanks everybody and decided to strip her down and restore it to just a stock motor, Have the top end kit parts, Just need to get a new crank,bearings,seals and a few other bits all up cost will be about $225. New stock motor down here is $330.. But I like a challenge as I never striped down and rebuilt a small engine so always keen to learn,
But need help again,, Whats the trick in getting the crankshaft separated from the crankcase, the book just shows the part list but does not tell you how to do it, I tried to separate them but Don't want to damage anything.

Henry.

Name:	Om33265.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1381413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83869.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1381414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47634.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1381415  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 PM
benckie

you need a fly wheel puller, to pull the fly wheel of the crank, then the crank will come out easy
Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 AM
nooh

Thanks for the Info Shane, I was doing a search over at Model Gas Boats and came across this.

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...noah_Teardown/

Reckon I can make a Flywheel puller as in the Pics..

Henry.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
benckie

yeah Henry it would be alot cheaper then buying one and easy todo, ive seen the zenoah fly wheel pullers in australua for $69 aud, i have one for air colled engines, but it looks like it might not work on the water cooled engines but i have not needed to try it out yet.

its almost imposible to remove the fly wheel with out a puller with out being very ruff, if you plan of working on these mootors it would come in handy, i know ive used my air cooled fly wheel puller for the last few years to build and rebuild around 30 engines and to perform maintaince, its one of the most handy tools i have and its good for removing clutches also.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 AM
nooh

Hi Shane.

Easy to get the flywheel off when you see how some do it.
I used an old Engine Alum Plate and just drilled one hole a few mill bigger then screwed one side a little then the other side of the flywheel a little, Then pop.
So easy.. Also found my main Problem as you can see in the Pic. The Crankshaft main bearing just packed it in. I suppose you can mod a motor all you like but the other parts of it just can't take the extra power.. All up m8 got nearly 2 years out of the engine and had 2 years of fun and maybe spending a few hundred more $$$ might get a couple more years out of her.

Name:	Om32024.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1381564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76217.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1381565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20278.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1381566  
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 AM
benckie

Hi Henry glad you got the fly wheel off.

ive never ran a crank more then about 50 tanks so im lucky ive never had one let go, but ive had piston pin bearings go, so in rc off road i normaly replace rings and piston pin bearings every 20 odd tanks to keep the motors fresh.

but 2 years is a good run, i hope out of my new quickdraw 25ht i get a good long run out of it, im hopping the extra 2 main beairns help and the 12.8:1 oil mix helps, i quess time will tell.

how much did the omen ported head kit cost you, Daniel from omen quoted me $270 aud pluss post for a head kit and to port it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.