Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Another new boat LOL!!!

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Another new boat LOL!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
wannagofast115

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new boat LOL!!!

So I just recently posted that I just got my first boat and it was a WHH Gator and the boat is great. Well last weekend I was supposed to meet cheezewiz out the lake but i didnt make it lol sorry about that. The night before I came across a team pro in FT. Myers for $350 and couldnt pass it up. I drove 2 hours north and got the boat from a really nice guy. He told me the boat had not been run in year so i go the boat home put a new plug and some clean gas and little carb start and it fired right up. This boat is awesome cant wait to get on the lake. The only problem is it came with a futaba 2pm AM remote so i need to get a new radio cause I here AM doesnt work well for the boats.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
cheesewizz69

Default RE: Another new boat LOL!!!

I might have mentioned it before but that's a great find. She looks great. As far as AM goes we have had pretty good luck at the lake with it but then again Danny was having issues in turn one and his failsafe would kick in. One thing I noticed is that the stearing servo seems to be a standard size servo, could be wrong and it's high torque small one?? Either way do something with the rig on the arm before you try to run her.

Ooh and that looks like the same clutch I have on my Super Sport it should have the standard grease fitting any grease gun should plug right in and work.

Leo

Edit; the more I look at the radio box the more I see it needs work. Get those wires and switches inside the box.[:@]
Old 02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
nieto1124
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICE FIND! indeed.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
t00fatt

I had pretty good luck the last time I used my AM system on maggy before I got my 2nd FASST RX. All I did was ground my flex shaft and most of my interference problems went away. Not a fix for every interference problem, but it's simple enough to do. Save up some money and get yourself a 2.4ghz FASST radio, and don't look back.

Yeah Leo that radio box needs to be redone, god knows how the guy before you was taping the lid down and keeping the water out. I'd definitely get a 1/4 scale servo before running her. They can be found at servocity for under $35-$40. If you don't already have one I'd pick up a 5 cell Nihm RX battery, those AA's are nothing but trouble. Water pump needs to be moved, looks like your pulse line is pushing 9" long. It needs to be no longer than 4" and the shorter the better. I'd also use a different hose for the pulse line, that looks like vinyl or silicone tubing. I know Leo was using something similar to vinyl tubing but stiffer in one of his boats, forgot what it was though. Can't go wrong with a short piece of 5/32" tygon or even 5/32" vacuum line.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

I had pretty good luck the last time I used my AM system on maggy before I got my 2nd FASST RX. All I did was ground my flex shaft and most of my interference problems went away. Not a fix for every interference problem, but it's simple enough to do. Save up some money and get yourself a 2.4ghz FASST radio, and don't look back.

Yeah Leo that radio box needs to be redone, god knows how the guy before you was taping the lid down and keeping the water out. I'd definitely get a 1/4 scale servo before running her. They can be found at servocity for under $35-$40. If you don't already have one I'd pick up a 5 cell Nihm RX battery, those AA's are nothing but trouble. Water pump needs to be moved, looks like your pulse line is pushing 9'' long. It needs to be no longer than 4'' and the shorter the better. I'd also use a different hose for the pulse line, that looks like vinyl or silicone tubing. I know Leo was using something similar to vinyl tubing but stiffer in one of his boats, forgot what it was though. Can't go wrong with a short piece of 5/32'' tygon or even 5/32'' vacuum line.
Good eye Danny, I could not even find the pump until I traced the aquarium line. The previous owner must have never dunked that boat. I cannot see how that radio box would keep any water out. Scott take our advice and address the items we mentioned so far. That boat is only a few hours from hitting the water.

Leo

Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

That's awsome
Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Looks like mine. you'll love this boat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29921.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	1384759  
Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM
wannagofast115

Thats all good obsvervations. Ya the radio box needs to be cleaned up and it didnt even come with a lid so im going to make one out of plexy glass. The servo i didnt know what he did to that thing but I already took that rig off and need to but a new arm on it. The servo says its a high torque but i never heard of the brand before. And for the pump im probably going to buy a new one cause I keep getting stuck with these old school style pumps the same kind came on my gator its big and brown? Ill take your guys advise and get a stiffer tuding and cut it short. As for the radio thats good to here then maybe i wont have to get a new one so soon I got a tactic 2.4ghz for the gator and it works great. And for the greece fitting i took the hose off to look at the fitting and it doesnt look like a standard greece fitting? Also after you greece and run it for like a day on WHH website it says you should remove the flex shaft any way to clean it? Is that true if so whats the point of the greece fitting? Thanks cheezewizz and toofat.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM
cheesewizz69

No need to buy a new pump. The brown ones are identical to the black ones no diffrence at all. It's a remarkable little pump you will not belive how easy they are to maintain. If you have any doubts about it performance just unscrew the four bolts and examine the little bits of silicone that make it work. As long and none of them are brittle you should be fine. Plus a rebuild kit from Tony is only like $12. Don't be surpised if you find some oil residue inside, that is normal. Just so you know the pump only works at idle, once the boat is up to speed the the water will flow thru the pump unabated.

I don't recognize the Tactic 2.4 just be aware that not all 2.4's work well on water. Lot's of threads here and elsewhere regarding radio's so I am not going to get into that here.

Yes you need (should) remove the flex shaft after each days use for two very important reasons.
1) To inspect the flex shaft
2) Moisture will work it's way into the windings and rust will start it's magic

The fitting is there to store a reserve of grease that will flow down the shaft with the heat that is created by the flex cable. Just an extra measure of saftey when your running a sport boat for long periods of time.

Get us some better pictures of the grease fitting and servo we may be able to help you further.

Leo
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
t00fatt

Leo looks like he has the newer composite grease cone, which does not have a zerk fitting but a simple barb fitting for a bit of 1/8th tygon. He also has the new style gas tank so I think this team pro is relatively new. Definitely take your cable out after each day you run. The cone just lets you run for a longer period of time without re-greasing. I also like to store my cables in some sort of anti corrosive oil, I use a PVC pipe filled with steering fluid (just had a bottle laying around). I'd strongly recommend you use a regular old AM radio with a failsafe over that tactic radio. I'm 99% sure the tactic radio is just a re-branded spectrum radio for tower hobbies. Even spektrum advises against using their systems in boats, except for a specific RX and TX combo(which doesn't have me or the rest of the community convinced). Only 2.4ghz anyone would recommend for boats is a FASST radio. They can be had for pretty cheap on ebay, I got my 3pm for $120 shipped and I didn't get the best deal.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM
wannagofast115

Yes t00fat your right i believe its the barb fitting. I cant take any decent pics right now cause i only have a camera phone the servo says its a SKYION high torque 10kgs metal gear 2BB. Also i ask the guy who sold me the boat if he knew if the motor had the M5 mod and he said the boat was his dads and wasnt sure. Is there any way of telling? There were some marking on the motor that said TC2 OS EZ2 3-09. Im guessing th 3-09 was when it was built so i guess the boats only a year old?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
cheesewizz69

I just cannot tell by the picture if a composit cone or not. If it is composit then my other suggestion is the way to go. Danny should be able to tell you where he is getting the 00 grease from. As far as any mods to the engine If it is modded Tony would have etched the information on it with a dremel. Give Tony a call he will give you all the details just be prepared to spend some time with him on the phone.

Servo link? http://www.skyion.net/servos.html

Leo
Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
t00fatt

Come on Leo I know your eyes aren't that bad, look right above the RX through the radio box . The cone is black, don't think Tony ever anodized the old grease cones. Either way his hardware is not anodized, so its safe to sake neither is his cone. I don't know if Tony is consistent with his marking, but my M5 is only marked on the bottom of the intake port while my M6 is also marked on the ISO block. If you can see the markings and M5 or M5 is not included I don;t believe it was worked on. My M6 just says "TC M6" and the date, don't remember what the M5 says. Don't worry a stock motor will be more than enough for you. An M5 will push it closer to 50mph, and with this hull will take a lot of skill to drive. Once your more comfortable with it, getting the M5 work done will make it exciting again.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
wannagofast115

Hey t00fat im getting the interfernce problem the servos are twitching everyone once in a while I was wondering how did you ground your flex shaft? Also I dont know if the reciever is bad but the switch doesnt work I have to hook the battery straight to the reciever and by pass the switch for every thing to work I tried a new switch and battery pack but that didnt either any thaughts on what could be wrong? Im just going to have to meet you guys out at the lake so you could just take a look the whole set up lol.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can upgrade it to the Futaba 2 PL FM system, it's only $90.00 or a Hitec Aggressor 2 FM.
I wouldn't use the Tactic as it's a very basic system, only trims and servo reversing. I've got to have at least End Point Adjustments (EPA) at the minimum along with the other 2 items mentioned.
You can toss that velocity stack also as it isn't doing you any good.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

Come on Leo I know your eyes aren't that bad, look right above the RX through the radio box .

ha ha yes they are when you have been staring at a CPU screen for 18 hours and working on Budgets all day.[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif]

I still think his best bet is to call Tony and ask him what if any mods were done to the engine. Ron I am glad you jumped in to help a newbie out. I am not familiar with his radio but for $90 I would rather find a deal on fleebay and pickup a Fasst. All three of mine were under $120 each, but hey that's just me. I do agree End Point Adjustment is a must.

Scott listen to what everyone has to say, do some reading and make your own decisions none of us knows it all. You’re welcome to join us anytime you would like.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
pyro1

I have no problems running my enforcer boats on the AM band.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 PM
wannagofast115

Took the boat out today for its first run since i got it. The boat ran ok needs a little tunning but is already way faster than my gator lol. I need to set the trim tabs cause at full the throttle the boat was lifting up all the over the place. Also there was a little water in the hull and i dont know if came from turining so hard and water splashing over the bow? It maybe from not having a enough grease on the flex cable could that be? I pulled it out to inspect it and there was a little water on it so I cleaned it up and put a thick layer of grease on it for tomorrow. Im gunna try and tune it a little bit more tomorrow seems to be bogging down at the low end? So will see tomorrow.